Train Guard Mode

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jacobp123, Feb 26, 2019.

1. jacobp123

jacobp123 Member

I think this would work in TSW. Some things that they could do include:
    • Open and close doors
    • Sell and check passenger tickets (fine if they have an invalid ticket)
    • Make announcements
    • Ensure that everything is safe etc.

• Like Like x 103
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would love to see this too, especially on the Trans-Pennine route. It could become a railway simulator, not just a train driving simulator. Don't know why someone down-voted your suggestion, seems a bit petty!

• Like Like x 12
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

There is someone here who downvotes everything.

• Like Like x 14
  4. theorganist

Yes I have noticed!

• Like Like x 8
  5. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

Agree they should do it as a game update

• Like Like x 5
  6. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

I want this too. There are so many things that need to happen, but are we being listened to? I'm not sure... :(

• Like Like x 7
  7. theorganist

I am not sure it is a case of them not listening. I imagine it is a case of priorities and resources. I would imagine implementing a guard mode would take a lot of work especially on already released routes and how popular is it really. A handful of people wanting it implemented is probably not enough for them to consider it. I would love to see it but I suspect it would be along way down the track until the sim is really established.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I support anything which makes it more World as well as Train Sim. Come on DTG is there no provision for extensive gameplay?

So far its great but these are features we really need.

• Like Like x 3
  9. williamparris2010

williamparris2010 New Member

I agree this would be a great feature.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I also agree, this would be brilliant as it would enable for the interior of the trains to be more functional and appreciated in game, it's fun to hop on and off at stations as well lol.

• Like Like x 2
  11. nEXaus

nEXaus New Member

Yes please! This feature would be warmly welcomed in TSW. The game sometimes gets stale just driving and thus having the opportunity to take on new job roles and tasks would be awesome and would provide a whole new dynamic to the game. Big +1 to the open and close locked doors as I occasionally get quite frustrated that I can't hang out the door as the train departs the station similar to how you see train guards in real life.

12. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

i would also love this

13. jevan-dean

jevan-dean Active Member

Bump, This would be amazing!

• Like Like x 2
  14. beaker998

beaker998 Member

You could use this as a multiplayer mode:
    One player can be the driver and the other the guard.
    They can then communicate with each other using the guard buzzer.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

Yes this would make so much sense, he'd live in the guard carriage mostly, love the sound of the whistle the guard makes at every station before departure

• Like Like x 2
  16. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

LIVE in the guard carriage? I know what you mean but it still gave me a chuckle :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

love to see it makes it more of the world in train sim world and adds a change and would be nice as a more relaxing experience (not having to check for speed limits or lights etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CommanderCRM

CommanderCRM New Member

Also it would be nice for them to add a possibility for train guard (or for passenger if they implement passenger mode instead of guard) to choose either available service or make their own trip by choosing start and end stations.

• Like Like x 1
  19. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

This could be done. But it is difficult. You are essentially asking for:

- re-scripted doors that attract and interact with a Non Player Character at stations, in a logical order; these doors and the NPC will be running their fairly complex programs continuously (moderately easy, but expensive on resources)
    - NPCs that give out items (easy)
    - NPCs that broadcast sound/info (also easy)
    - NPCs that check every combination of every game state to ensure "safety" (very very difficult, even to define - difficult for humans...)

Some of this could add a bit of colour/life. I'd put the priority on getting the school bus to turn on a more realistic path, and to have lights on it, and for the route scenery and other road vehicles to be properly lit at night with light sources.

(NB: I upvoted you)

• Like Like x 2
  20. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

synthetic.angel
    maybe the check it is safe for the npc is just walk up and down the carrages (to simulate this) and if the only time security is risked is when a human is the guard

but also if you code an npc to walk from door to door from the guards carrage it shouldn't add much more prossesing just
    int i=1
    for (i==1){
    guard to (door i am on)
    if ((total count of doors)>(door I am on)+1 or (total count of doors) == (door i am on)+1 and if (guard done door)==true) {
    (door I am on)++
    (guard done door) = false
    }else{
    guard return to guard carriage
    i=0
    (door i am on)=0
    }
    }
    the guard to command could be npc guard to (number input) door then do animation (have a general animation to save on computing power)
    door i am on is saying the computer is on it for the guard

not that much but they could do the for loop each tick (or frame) of the program and replace the for with an if

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  21. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

I'm sympathetic to all ideas which make TSW more immersive and realistic as a simulation of railway operations. The problem is, where do you stop? If you don't have traffic, people want traffic. If you add traffic, people complain that it doesn't drive realistically. If you make it drive realistically, people complain that passengers don't have luggage. And so on.

Sometimes in the same breath, people are quick to criticise DTG for not producing longer routes with more content, more locos, more services, and so on. Well, which is it? Do you want them to focus their finite resources on the train driving aspects of the game, or things like school buses or being the guard? I think we have to be realistic about our expectations here.

• Like Like x 2
  22. CommanderCRM

CommanderCRM New Member

Since we already have “passenger” mode in services where you can spawn on foot and catch a train, it would be nice to improve it, for example show where the train is going to, which timetable it has and which stops it takes. I don’t think that this is very hard because everything which I said is already implemented in the game - it just aren’t being shown while we are on foot and not operating the service as a driver.
    Even greater addition to this would be a route creation, so you need to travel from point A to point B, you spawn at point A and you will know which train to take and when.
    If these things are implemented, they can make a train guard mode because they will have a basis for it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I must say it's not a feature I would use. I never ride as a passenger either.

• Like Like x 2
  24. iMarkeh

iMarkeh New Member

Surely this can't be too hard to implement on the basis that it is just a mix of the 2 existing modes. You control the doors instead of the driver and the passenger side of things comes from roaming the train.

Announcements I don't think is too necessary.
    Tickets and checking safety is primerily RP stuff and not something we need introducing. The main role of the guard which is needed as the start of this role is the door management.

Based on Dovetail Games previous actions, I would say no. This part of the forum is merely here to keep people happy. They never listened with TS and I don't see them listening here.

25. TRAINFAN

TRAINFAN Member

They should also increase the height of the spawn mode. When we walk it looks like , a child is walking...

26. thearkerportian

Can't confirm. The height looks about right.

DoSto Hagen Hbf 03.jpg DoSto Essen Hbf 17.09.2018 03b.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. thearkerportian

It depends on what railroad we're talking about of course. And sometimes, which particular type of train. On most modern trains (In Germany and from what I've seen in the UK too) the guard has absolutely nothing to do with the doors. Those buttons in the drivers cab, where it says Open/Release/Close Doors... have a guess what they do! ;)

Damn I always love it when people suggest how TSW should work that know next to nothing about the railway... or take the way their local train line operates as universal.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

No, I'd never use it. Only rode as a passenger on RT to get the trophy and I went off and did something else while it was happening!

On PS4, if you push down on one of the thumb sticks, it drops you to a crouch for better access to couplers etc. You haven't done that inadvertently, have you? Normal walk height feels fine to me.

29. TRAINFAN

TRAINFAN Member

OK, fine

30. iMarkeh

iMarkeh New Member

In the UK, especially the south, it is more common for a guard to not do much. In the north of the UK though and in the US, the guard is in control of the doors. So, as for your snide comment, I think you need to go and learn what guards do. The controls are in the cabs in many cases because guards in the UK commonly are located in the rear cab so control the doors there. They can though walk through the train and can sometimes control the doors from panels throughout the train if needed.

The GWR railroad is the one I use the most and I would be tempted to try some of the US ones as well but on the basis of the features, I am hesitant as it's not worth the money yet.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yes, in the US, the conductors open and close the doors. The engineer has absolutely no control of them.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Now I just want to yell, " ALLLL ABOARD". For real though, this is a pretty good suggestion. If this was implemented, I wonder how many services would include us having to radio to the engineer to stop the train so a late passenger can get on (happened in Ashland Virginia just a couple of days ago).

• Like Like x 2
  33. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

Also on routes set in the past like the tees valley line in late 80’s the conductors on the trains blow the whistle for the train to depart

34. Factor41

In real terms, though, you're going to blow the whistle, then what? Wait 10 mins for the next stop? Adding any kind of interaction with the zombie passengers is going to be a major development undertaking, so there's not likely going to be ticket checking. You're essentially making a game mode which requires you to wait while all the interesting stuff happens, then open the doors and blow a whistle. That might work on the PC market, but that kind of gameplay ain't gonna fly on consoles.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Big Papi34

I don't see why not. Yes, it's console player's, but most have the same standards wanted set for TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  36. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to push a few buttons then wait up to half an hour before needing to do anything else.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Big Papi34

Some people do how ever. Now that I think about it, this would probably be better implemented with ai first.

38. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I'm holding out for the watching the grass grow mode.

39. Factor41

That'll be implemented in the same update as the "We've just painted the station, come and watch it dry" mode.

40. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

What d'you mean on this one? I've got a couple of ideas in my head, but both involve trains being driven by the game and the "guard" sitting there twiddling thumbs watching the scenery go by

41. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  42. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I like the idea. But moustache customization will need to be included :D

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  43. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This would be cool espically on the long island railroad because the lirr has conductors that open and close the doors. The train operator does not open and close doors

44. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

It´s true that guards/conductors have a lot of responsibility in the operation. And they do also a lot of work. They deserve a place in our simulation :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  45. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

It would be a great feature, expecially in the ICE since the Guards make the Train Announcement and not some Programmed AI. You could also have the phone and press a special Key to say a Announcement if you have a Microphone, but i think it would be a bit hard to do this. You could also have the Key and like some Co-Guards, since on the ICE there a most of the time there are 3-4 Guards on the Train so they could help if the Doors are closed.

46. nevlec#7023

nevlec#7023 New Member

47. Budgieboy2525

Budgieboy2525 Member

I’ve always wanted to be able to go full bus sim on people - ask to see the passengers tickets, and fine them appropriately if they fail to show a valid one.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea, I was thinking the same tbh

• Like Like x 2
  49. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

This should definitely be a feature. They could also include dispatcher mode with a batton and whistle for sending of trains. This would be a service option under Dispatcher instead of the train or spawn on foot.
    Same with gaurd mode except you would choose which service or sit in the secondmans seat when spawned walking.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  50. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Lol, same

• Like Like x 1