Introducing Mastery For Train Sim World

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Oct 28, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

On Wednesday October 30th, we will be adding Mastery to Train Sim World

READ MORE

• Like Like x 20
  2. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, this is a good idea. I always wanted more progression in Train Simulator and this is a good step in the right direction.

• Like Like x 4
  3. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

This definitely helps alleviate the "replayability" problem with DLC. Looks great!

• Like Like x 5
  4. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

More gimmicks. Have you fixed the Class 47 performance on console yet? How about those services you can't finish on NTP?

• Like Like x 11
  5. HuggernautNL

HuggernautNL Member

This was suggested quite a while back.
    Level your loco's/routes to unlock more repaints/skins/scenery or something.

This is a good step in that direction and I really am looking forward to unlocking all the stuff. Thank you!

• Like Like x 4
  6. 37114

37114 Active Member

I'd far sooner you just gave us the editor instead of all these gimmicks

• Like Like x 6
  7. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Dmitri
    TrainSim-Matt
    Hopefully there will be a small trailer when this comes out. Like the trailer for the new journey system.()

• Like Like x 3
  8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm willing to wait for the editor, but "gimmicks" is certainly the correct term for this: dioramas? hot air balloons? Possibly entertaining for the carnival set, but surely our dear developers can find better things to do with their time? Please, at least provide clear instructions for turning off these "rewards". I'm here for rail simulation, not toys for tots.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

Yeah they should invest the time into more useful things, like automatic units switching between metric and imperial. It's now years we have allways to switch between them manualy if you play an other route.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

Yeah can't wait for this..
    I can look at a balloon while heading to Leeds to get stuck at a red signal that never clears,
    Or heading the other way into Manchester and the inevitable blue screen crash of doom..

• Like Like x 5
  11. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

At least it wont look like nothing is happening

• Like Like x 1
  12. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

Very Good job DTG!

• Like Like x 5
  13. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I think this is a good idea. While I do hope some of the time prepping this update was devoted to fixing glitches (the response to my support ticket did suggest that the broken reds on MSB, for example, were being looked at), it's nice to add some additional progression to the game. While the simulation is of course important, it's nice to have features which deepen the product and may attract new players in to the game.

I use an indoor turbo trainer for cycling and use Zwift software with it which allows you ride in a virtual world, with the smart turbo simulating hills and descents etc. Every time they do an update, new stuff arrives in the existing worlds, whether it's Christmas lights in London, or new dinosaurs added to one particular route of their ever-expanding Watopia island. That variety and change is what keeps it interesting, even if you've ridden the same route dozens of times, and I think it will definitely incentivise repeat play on some of the, shall we say, less varied routes!

• Like Like x 5
  14. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

P
    Progression? On your trainer, this might be a decent addition. In a train simulator, I see it as a poor excuse for not accomplishing something more worthwhile, such as making more turntables functional and creating a new shunting activities pack to make use of them.

• Like Like x 7
  15. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Victor Meldrew is alive and well in this thread! (If you are outside the UK just google him)

• Like Like x 8
  16. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I dont believe it... ;)
    That show still makes me laugh!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Factor41

You're not wrong. Every positive comment on this thread has been given a down vote. How dare we be happy with this product we quite enjoy playing and are getting new features for!

• Like Like x 10
  18. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

fpriotto520 Why the downvotes? Most people like the idea, so I don't understand why everybody in the thread who showed positivity deserves one. I can't see anything wrong with the idea (although some have said DTG should be focusing on bugs).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  19. Factor41

New member with no posts, just a handful of ratings. Probably an embittered snowflake who's scared of hot air balloons or a badly functioning spambot.

Edit: And of course, this gets a downvote. You're a predictable little grump too, ain't ya!

• Like Like x 4
  20. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Seriously???

No editor
    No Steam
    No head / sense of movement in cab
    No automatic switching between MPH/ KPH - surely a simple bit of code?
    No wheelslip

and what do we get - hot air balloons. Its becoming increasing difficult to justify spending on this game. They will have us collecting Gold Rings next.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see this game do well, but at the moment the devs seem to have all their priorities wrong

• Like Like x 11
  21. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

It's a good idea, regardless of what the public believes takes priority (editor, etc). I personally believe the editor should be prioritized over small updates like this, but DTG apparently feels otherwise. But we don't really know how they prioritize tasks, and which teams work on which tasks.

• Like Like x 11
  22. fpriotto520

fpriotto520 Member

Because I am not the "majority" of people and because the program (although very beautiful) needs other, much more important things.

• Like Like x 3
  23. fpriotto520

fpriotto520 Member

Do you consider yourself an expert? Better neophyte then.

24. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It’s a nice idea, however I feel it will become repetitive very quickly, and people will get bored of it. Plus it will always appear in the same location every single time.

With TSW being a train simulator game, what DTG should have done is introduce something dynamic, such as line side track workers. This way we never really know when or where they will appear, increasing the immersion level.

• Like Like x 21
  25. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Priority list seems to be completely off.
    While this feature is surely nice to have at some point the immediate focus should be gameplay enhancing features.
    Full PIS including adding it to all released routes, backporting of the newer features to older routes in general, fixing the bugs finally and all the stuck services just to name a few.

• Like Like x 10
  26. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Cue the question. Can we Pilot the hot air balloon? If not. Why not? :)

• Like Like x 2
  27. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

Why do I fell like this is going to be just another gimmick like journey mode the other day...

• Like Like x 1
  28. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

There is wheel slip, though. I often get wheels slipping in br heavy freight pack when hauling heavy train uphill, but can generally happen on any route under right conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

If this is the replacement for the mile challenges, then Im very pleased with this. I for one kept saying that we needed something more than wallpapers. This sounds promising.

• Like Like x 4
  30. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Because it's a game about driving trains, so anything outside of this IS a gimmick?

• Like Like x 1
  31. Manclion

I reckon DTG have an aversion for F.U.B.A.R..

32. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think that this is a very interesting idea. It gives a reason to go back and drive on some of the older routes and helps with replayability.

• Like Like x 4
  33. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

eh...I'm ok with this update. Any additions to the game I always welcome.

I am assuming these mini challenges are not completed retrospectively based on already completed mileage ? That would make the rewards a little too easy to obtain for existing players

• Like Like x 1
  34. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

When viewed objectively, I think this is a direction that has some mileage, can be refined, provides a purpose for the points system, and shows a willingness to develop the product in new ways. Like others Im hopeful of other refinements to existing routes that immerse the player further, but recognise that this is an announcement about something else. The one doesnt necessarily preclude the other so Im suprised at some of the negativity and rudeness to be seen in places on this thread. One doesnt have to pay attention to it though. Im looking forward to seeing what its all about :)

• Like Like x 6
  35. palme111100

palme111100 Active Member

I personally don't like this idea of Mastery. Here is why:

(Why would you do this?) Does Mastery really increase the replays?
    It seems to me that Mastery is supposed to increase replayablity. But for me it doesn't. The question is: Why aren't the routes replayed much? For me the answer is clear: Missing content. I enjoy Rhein Ruhr Osten, because sometimes there is actually traffic. That's why I don't play Ruhr Sieg Nord much, just because the DoStos are everywhere(I can drive them on any other route) and on RSN there are only the DoStos. On RRO, there is variety. And variety is the key in my opinion. Many different vehicles on a route is what makes it fun to play and enjoy the ride.
    Why challenges to unlock content?
    This is a point that makes me kind of sad, because TrainSimWorld is a simulator. This is something that is fine with shooters or something like this. You reach level x, you get weapon y. That's why I don't play such games. Instead I play simulators. They simulate the real world, you have access to everything and then I do what I'm supposed to do: In TSW it's driving trains. I don't want to play to unlock content, I want to play to enjoy the simulation
    Also others already said it: Especially because of this simulation aspect, I'm the opinion the devs should really have been focusing on more important aspects that add to realism or even before that: Fixing bugs.
    Don't get me wrong, I like TSW, but what I miss and what would make me play older routes more is more content, more vehicle variety/diversity.

• Like Like x 6
  36. Factor41

I believe they've already said that the substitutions available on RRO should also work the other way around and they're working on making that happen, so most, if not all of the German trains should be available to use on all of the German routes - possibly after this update...

Maybe just carry on enjoying the simulation, don't worry about the numbers, and take joy from the fact that one of the times you drove that train along that stretch of track, you got to see a hot air balloon overhead. Enjoy the little things - I doubt the person who 3D modelled the replacement tile with the balloon in, is the same guy trying to code the custom elements of the editor to get it public-ready, so it's not necessarily one thing or the other.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. palme111100

Maybe, if so I am ready for this update.

Sure, someone who models the balloon it's going to code the editor, but the 3D modelling guy could update/remodel the BR442 or BR143 to make theirs displays work.;)

38. ARuscoe

Which does nothing for the drivability of the loco either way

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. palme111100

But it does add to realism - to quote Factor41:

• Like Like x 1
  40. ARuscoe

So does a bit more lineside "atmoshpere"

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. Manclion

• Like Like x 1
  42. palme111100

Well the difference is that the "lineside atmosphere" is a completely new feature and working displays on locos is a feature we already have and for realism reason should be extended to older locos. So in this feature queue the displays have a higher priority(because due for a longer time) than the "lineside atmosphere". So why do something completely new when you have older stuff to do.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Loyalty

Loyalty Well-Known Member

Facts that definitely sounds like a good idea for them to make the game feel more real. Workers on the track. make your train service slower speed or cut short or rerouted the trains. Make trains run express or local or by pass a station of construction on that station or track.

• Like Like x 5
  44. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

While I do find this "somewhat" interesting, it is pretty far down towards the bottom things that I would like to see for TSW. DTG, how about some priority for the Editor, or fixing the LONG list of bugs, or getting the RailDriver to work with TSW, not stuff like this.

• Like Like x 4
  45. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

I get it now, this is why they’ve been too busy to write a studio article. Duh. Next rewards will be, buy x amount of DLC to unlock a new skin.

• Like Like x 2
  46. ARuscoe

More accurately, some locos have that feature, others do not. Due to the way that TSW works what you do on one system, loco, route or whatever doesn't always work on another system, loco etc and seems to be one of the things that causes "cross contamination issues" when they try. Doesn't mean they shouldn't try, just means it's not going to be as easy as "well it works over there, and it's all TSW"

47. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Seams like "Mastery" will be Dovetail Live Achievements.
    Since they add Mastery your progress starts to count and for completing you unlock the ingame reward.
    Looking better than steam achievements, which should motivate you to play.

48. palme111100

Well, sure the displays on locos are just a feature for only this specific loco; the loco has to be specifically designed for the display to work. That's why some have it(the newer locos) and some don't(the older locos).
    Sure it works over there and so it's possible to implement this feature, but as I said the loco has to be designed for it. My guess is that the display on the newer locos is a separate object and then the different destinations are displayed on it via a texture. And if my assumption is right, this was not taken into account when modelling the BR442 and BR143, simply because the feature didn't exist back then; so the display and the loco itself is one object. Maybe it is more complex, but this is my idea how the displays could work. So, "all" they would have to do is update the models of the BR442 and BR143.

49. ARuscoe

Simples!

50. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Don't know what all this negativity is about. Yeah sure there are things (many things actually) I'm waiting for more feverishly, but then again what harm does this update do? Gimmick no doubt, but please differenciate between useless and worthless.

Addendum:
    I'll admit tho that "Mastery" seems a bit vague a term to me. Something like "Loyalty" or "Endurance" would seem more fitting for the concept. My first thought was, we'll be getting more AP for driving with active train guard systems or something like that.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 8