PC No More Studio Updates? Its Been Months

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nne4229, Oct 26, 2019.

1. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Any news on new features? Any features being brought to older routes n trains? Anything besides editor comments and DLC?

• Like Like x 18
  2. nne4229

How long exactly has it been? A year almost?

3. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I think since April

4. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

August 2019.

5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It’s actually quite embarrassing that they haven’t found the time to post at least one studio update in the past six months.

They claim they haven’t had the time to post one, but tell me this, what has changed from being able to post studio updates on quite a regular basis, to none in over half a year?!

In my opinion TSW:2020 wasn’t a major update, to me its just menu and UI changes and more for marketing, if anything.

There have been no revolutionary changes or updates but I fear things will only change on a yearly update. A bit how like TS1 claims to be ‘new’ each year, despite it being exactly the same with only the year number changing at the end of it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. nne4229

Anyone have any new info from streams or other non official forum sources like discord? It’s been way too quiet besides new dlc buy now articles

7. nne4229

What happened?

Attached Files:

8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  9. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

There's a new news article out, maybe that was mistaken as being an "studio update"?

10. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Id hold out for FSX 2020 before anything else remarkable happens with TSW. The data and effort behind FSX (i know it’s off topic) is outstanding. And constant community engagement even allowed the community to test it out at Microsoft.

My money and investment will go to FSX from next year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You mean the data garnered from their military contracts and anyone with a windows phone? Yup, agreed they have lots of data and of course spare processing power from all the data centres they run.
    Kind of not a valid comparison with a company with two offices...

12. nne4229

I don’t think office space should explain dtgs lack of communication

13. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

There's no point in DTG posting Studio Updates as the community are only interested in the Editor, which has purportedly been scrapped. So it would seem at this point they are just kicking the can down the road for as long as possible to keep the creditors happy. There's a reason that over two and a half years after release TSW is still playing second fiddle to TS2020.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The editor has not been canceled. It’s still being worked on.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

Correct.

16. nne4229

Stop people, this post was not about the editor.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ARuscoe

I don't see this being the case at all. How many DTG releases have their been for TSx in 2019? Three??? The rest has been them putting out other people's stuff

• Like Like x 1
  18. fpriotto520

fpriotto520 Member

What we should talk about here? The program has excellent graphics, the trains are very detailed, the routes are very well done, the fact of being able to walk along the tracks too.There are bugs, but it is a feature of all games.
    However the lack of the editor is a huge gap that compromises a lot of fun.
    Furthermor, there is also a Quick Drive missing and, to make it happen, I don't think the editor is necessary.

19. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I'd be interested in the studio updates, especially if there were information included on which routes (if any) were earmarked for improvements, upgrades and bug fixes. It might actually re-energise sales in those that were so there is a business case there. Also information on stuff like the recent scenery unlocks could be discussed and then good ideas incorporated. Opportunity missed by not having them imho..

20. Digital Draftsman

We're nearly three years post release of TSW and TS2020 still has four or five times as many players as TSW, the same as when TSW was released. TSW is playing second fiddle to TS2020 not only in player numbers but also in terms of profitability and quality/quantity of DLC.

As for the Editor, in my opinion it's effectively cancelled because DTG didn't understand UE4 and made some serious errors early in development which means they have no way to release the Editor to the public. It's also where the poor optimization comes from, a poor understanding in the early days of development. An example of this lack of UE4 understanding is TSW's .exe file still being called 'TS2Prototype.exe', it's because they didn't realise when they started development that changing the name would require the code to be changed, so rather than change the code early on when they discovered their error, they just left their game called 'TS2Protoype'. Now changing the name will require all the code in all the subsequent DLCs to be changed as well, so it becomes more and more difficult as time goes by. The exact same issue goes for optimizing the code in the base game, as for DTG to optimize the game they will need to change the code of all the DLCs too, which at this point is a mamoth task. I personally think they have screwed up irreversibly at this point and TSW is a failure. All DTG can do is make the best of a bad situation.

Now to the crux of this thread. The reason Studio Updates are so infrequent is because there is nothing to say aside from 'buy the next DLC'. So they keep pretending that everything is fine, because to suggest otherwise would lead others to the same conclusion as I've come to and sales would crash. Also from a legal point of view, if it is known within the company (and outside) that the Editor can't be released, but DTG say in marketing materials that it is coming, it then becomes deceptive. So I think at this stage DTG probably want to be careful with what they say, so that's another reason for a lack of updates.

By all means, if DTG want to prove me wrong and give us a Studio Update where the release of the Editor is announced, few will be more happy and excited than myself.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  21. ARuscoe

Number of players doesn't determine focus. Of course something that's been around for years is going to have more people using it than something which is newer, less capable etc etc. By your argument electric vehicles are a failure.

The editor should have been release in it's raw state three years ago. No argument there. Whether it's user friendly or not, whether it automatically discludes console players... all the arguments. Nah, should've released it and have a disclaimer that any decent content gets put on the relevant store with a 20% markup for DTG. End of

The reason for no studio updates for me is that people then jump on every little item and bawl out DTG for everything they do. Case in point a new DLC was highlighted this week and the FIRST comment on it was negative. Not to say DTG are blameless with all the bugs and holes in the software (such as Matt's whopping admission yesterday) but still...

• Like Like x 4
  22. fpriotto520

fpriotto520 Member

Now we have come to the point that DTG no longer does Studio Update because there are negative feedbacks.
    It seems to me a rather weak argument to justify the silence on the editor.
    We want to go back to the 80s and 90s and buy games on CDs and blindly trusting the illustrations on their box?
    Feedbacks are very important.
    Otherwise DTG would not have opened a forum.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Matt said during the “Mastery” stream that they are planning to try to bring Studio Updates back. They had a meeting about it on Thursday. So, maybe we will get one this month.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. ARuscoe

Absolutely. But think of it this way, if you started a conversation and every time you got half way through a sentence someone got half an inch from your face and shouted "Editor!" fifteen times at the top of their voice, how long would it take for you not to bother trying to talk?

• Like Like x 5
  25. nne4229

Maybe this isn’t more about only having new dlc, no news on editor, and no new simulation features. The last one was the point of this thread and studio updates. New features, can sway, working destination screens on older trains and routes.

26. Digital Draftsman

DTG have zero interest in feedback. I'll tell you how I know. I've provided a lot of feedback on this forum, some of it quite detailed and constructive, all whilst remaining courteous and refraining from personal attacks against any other members of the forum (I almost never downvote either!).

DTG over the past few months decided to apply something in the forum software called 'discouraged user' to my account, which for those who don't know is a method of 'banning' without actually banning by applying time delays on the server response, randomly redirecting page requests and serving up blank pages. Generally it's used as a tool by forum adminstrators who don't have the decency to actually ban a popular member and customer and then deal with the fallout. So to post this message I have had to reload the page several times and put up with blank pages, redirects to the home page and each time having to wait a minute or so to find out if I'll actually get the response I want.

It's all rather duplicitous and just demonstrates what DTG think of their customers. Given I've spent thousands on DLC for TS2020 over the years, as well as developed DLC which DTG to this day profit from, I think it's an appalling way to treat a customer and a developer. Yet here I am, refreshing my browser over and over just so I can express an opinion about their product and converse with other train sim players. I used to enter the screenshot competitions, I even won on occasion, but now they've made it almost impossible for me to enter. Quite sad really.

• Like Like x 3
  27. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Digital Draftsman,

Whilst you're correct this forum does employ a feature known as "Discourage User", I'm not aware we have ever used it and a quick check on your account has revealed that to be true. Connectivity issues can plague anyone and simply just having your account reset in the admin is usually enough to solve these. A simple support ticket to us would have revealed you were having problems. I've flushed your account but let me know if you're still having problems and I'll get the Live Team to further investigate it.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

How long are we talking? I know you can't respond more than once every few seconds (about thirty) but that's the same for everyone

29. Digital Draftsman

Whatever you did Steve has fixed the issue. So thank you for that! :)

30. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Great to hear Digital Draftsman - please, if you have any further problems with this, don't hesitate to drop me a DM.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
  31. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  32. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Discord Invite

33. nne4229

Yeah but where’s the studio update? Literally the topic was completely ignored.

• Like Like x 2