Train Sim World Mastery – Available Now

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Dynamite Andy

Dynamite Andy Member

I was really trying to stay of the hater band wagon as I like this idea, but please say that its an out of season April fools that this is NOT retrospective of ANY current level in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  2. pavig

pavig New Member

As long as getting new levels are counted I'm not worried. Gives a bit of motivation to go back keep grinding my favorite locos. (Not much motivation to be sure, but a wee bit. :D )

Edit: ... actually, the data doesn't seem to be linked to the current dovetail profile used for in-game stats and achievements. Possibly this could be fixed up with a data migration, but it worries me that there seems to be two parallel player stats tracking systems now operating in game. Having dealt with databases a bit before that is usually a recipe for disaster, or at the very least, oddities.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. simulator fan

simulator fan Member

Controversial is my middle name! It may be the same game but is the game being tailored to the console market and are the aims in conflict? I see it as a sim not a game and I don't want to look for collectables! The massive amount of mods for ts 2020 mean that without the developer pack TSW is losing ground. Look at the relative dlc prices and the speed at which they are reduced for tsw.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Collectibles are optional. If you don’t like them, then don’t look for them. There are some mods for TSW too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Wow, you actually DON'T completely agree with something DTG did? That's a first.

• Like Like x 4
  6. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Yeah, but this is a train simulator, not an RPG. There are much more important things to work on besides stupid side quests.

• Like Like x 3
  7. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

It doesnt seem to work (PS4 pro here) for me. Will try again in a bit by logging out then into DTG in TSW.
    I personally not overy too bothered about it to be honest. Iam just seeing if it works but it doesnt lol. Oh well. Heres to the class 31 when it appears. lol

Hentis

8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Then don't do the side quest --- so much time wasted over an item than can be easily ignored and does not affect how you want to enjoy the simulation... I am impressed by the voraciously and wasted effort over complaining about something that is just a small nit on the way to get to the simulation so you can enjoy it however you desire -- in my mind, there is more more important things to get your panties in a wad over than this .... like peas on you fish and chips plate... NOW that is important........

• Like Like x 2
  9. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Don't DTG have two separate teams for making things like this and routes. And how dare you put peas with my fish and chips. EVERYONE knows you put corn!

10. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Only a deviant would put any vegetable derivatives on their plate of fish n chips..
    I personally pad out my oversized portion with a good offering of crispy scraps.
    Heres hoping the scenery offerings in the new mode become a little more railway based :) Hot air balloons are nice but not exactly on task.. a bit like peas. No one ever orders a meal for the peas.. ;)

11. LeadCatcher

Dang it — with all this talk about Fish n Chips — Got my taste buds up for a good meal of such — There was a great little Fish n Chips shop in Deal on the waterfront I used to eat at when I visited my son in the UK —- Haven’t found a good Fish n Chips shop in Houston,,,,

Now back on topic and to answer the question — Matt P stated it was the group from Dovetail Live that developed Mastery and not the programming group that works on routes and DLC. So no diversion of assets were needed for Mastery from the regular development teams.

• Like Like x 1
  12. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Actually TSW is in some ways a RPG with you playing the role of... well whatever you choose to be, driver, passenger, observer or wanderer. The things like the collectibles and this mastery are there for those who find it enjoyable to play in other ways than as a straight sim.
    It's a case of playing it as you like and ignoring the bits you don't.

As said above, I'm sure there's a team who work on the side quests while the rest work on the main plot. ;)

Do baked beans count? :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

@ Leadcatcher I visit Houston quite often! Used to stay at the Magnolia but now its a bit further out. I might tap your knowledge for some good eateries when I next go!?
    Anyway, as you were saying.. back on task ;)

14. LeadCatcher

Please do so I am a bit west of the city but do know so fine places— Wish I was in Houston this week - (working in DC) The UP Big Boy is supposedly making a stop there on its tour tomorrow — so how is that for bringing it back somewhat on a train related topic :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Oh man, I wish I'd known that- I would have done my best to get there to see that! An icon of the age. Big Boy, The Mallard, Flying Scotsman- all so evocative! I'll pm you when Im next heading over to discuss good places for food- also if theres any good stuff to do aside from nasa and the topgun range ;)
    Back on topic and Im curious if this Mastery concept is going to evolve. Itd be good if it does as I think theres mileage in the concept although personally i would have preferred it to have been a little more thought through and integrated.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2019