Lakeshore West Line: Toronto - Hamilton

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thearkerportian, Nov 1, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Moin,

Another proposal from a country not yet covered by TSW, namely Canada. This route in some ways can be seen as a Great Lakes version of the peninsula corridor. It originates at Union station downtown Toronto, and runs more or less dead straight Southwest along the shore of Lake Ontario from there. Almost having reached the destination already, the route slings around the lake's western tip and then enters Hamilton via two different lines - one bound for Hamilton station downtown, the other remaining close to the lakeshore and its massive steel industry facilities.

The length of the route is comparable to the peninsula, as is some of the rolling stock that can be used. However there are differences as well, and quite a few of them. First of all, being far from sunny California, the atmosphere of this route would be an entirely different one.
    Next, while Caltrain have almost thirty stations along their route, GO Transit has just about half as much, namely 13, making it an overall faster system with shorter travel times. Still operating express services nonetheless.

Where this route would downright blow the peninsula out of the water though, is services. The Lakeshore Line is served by three fundamentally different railway companies: For once, GO Transit obviously, who run the commuter trains. Long-haul trains also use the route, namely those of VIA Rail, and Amtrak's Maple Leaf, both using the same locomotive model but very different coaches. Mind the latter does not stop anywhere in or near Hamilton and would have to taken back by the AI at Aldershot.
    As far as trains without windows (by which I mean freighters) are concerned, there is absolutely zero to worry about. The route is just bustling with spurs, and virtually every second station has at least some cargo facilities attatched. Hamilton itself, after all, is Canada's Gary, its Manchester if you will. Lots and lots of industry, dominatig a rather rough and rundow, grim and grimy city. So yes. There would be cargo.

(I had a hard time finding good pictures for many locations, so "visual aids" are a bit less plentiful than usual)

General

Era: Modern
    Length overall: 46 mi/75 km
    max speed: 90 mph/150 km/h
    # of passenger stations: 13
    Service types: Commuter, Regional, InterCity, Cargo
    # of tracks: 2
    Electrified: No

Lines included at least partially:
    Lakeshore West (Toronto - Hamilton/West Harbour)
    VIA Rail Corridor (Toronto - Aldershot)
    Amtrak Maple Leaf (Toronto - Aldershot)

Suitable vehicles (among others):
    GO Transit F59PH, MP40PH, MP54AC, Bi-level coach/cab cars
    VIA Rail P42DC, LRC coaches
    Amtrak P42DC, Amfleet coaches
    Any cargo engine.

Maps
    Toronto-Hamilton.PNG
    Toronto-Hamilton Map.PNG Toronto-Hamilton.PNG

Key Locations
    Toronto Union Station
    [​IMG]

Aldershot
    [​IMG]

Hamilton
    [​IMG]

West Harbor
    [​IMG]

Further Impressions
    North Bathurst Yard
    [​IMG]

Exhibition
    [​IMG]

Mimico
    [​IMG]

Port Credit
    [​IMG]

Oakville
    [​IMG]

Bayview Junction
    [​IMG]

Hamilton
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see CN SD40-2Ws, SD75Is, SD70ACes, ES44ACs, ET44ACs, GP40/50/60s and/or GP38-2Ws in freight services.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Living close to the US/Canada border, I often catch Amtrak's Maple Leaf. Recently, it has more commonly pulled by Amtrak's Dual Mode P32AC-DM in Phase III livery. I think it would look very nice on the Amtrak trains on your proposed route. 716.jpg

4. thearkerportian

Might be. I'm not from the US, I had to read up which engines are used, and it said the ACs usually only go up to Albany. Maybe that was outdated info.

5. JGRudnick

I live minutes away from the line between Buffalo, NY and Niagara Falls, NY. I do a fair amount of railfanning in the area, and you are correct. However, recently Amtrak has been keeping the P32AC-DM past Albany. It surprised me too, as up until about a month ago, I had never seen one of these units on the Maple Leaf.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  6. thearkerportian

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I guess for TSW (and this route in particular) the P42DC would be the better choice though, as VIA Rail uses that too. And it's probably more prevalent on Amtrak's network in general, outside the NYC area. Planning ahead for future Amtrak DLC can't hurt ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. JGRudnick

You're probably right that the P42 is the better choice. It certainly would make including locomotives as all they would have to do is reskin it.
    You're route sounds great, I hope they really do make this route.