Tsw: The Tees Type Two

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

You could say the same with locomotive numbers, as some of the locomotive numbers that appear in the services are incorrect for the model/livery they are on. However there is a compromise. I feel in many instances that the compromise would be worth it for the additional liveries, as seeing AI trains coming the other way in different liveries adds to the variety and interest for the majority customers, whilst only detracting from the realism for a tiny minority of customers.

The Class 37 in TVL could have come with a coal sector version, the base livery is identical, no changes would be required to the model and it would compliment the HEAs on the route.

As for testing, once the majority of the testing is complete, and provided there are robust development processes in place, adding additional liveries shouldn't increase the testing load by much. The robust processes however are extremely important as adding a livery only becomes an issue when there are lax processes in place and as a result perhaps one livery ends up with old model or physics files.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Im sure youve thought of this before, but how about a Ui screen where we can make locos AI active or inactive for certain routes. For example. If I was inspired to drive a 52 on the NTP. I could, but only predetermined services. ie weight, brakes overhead wires for electrics etc. The UI screen would give me the option of preventing the game from selecting another 52 for AI services. By not making the 52 active. I could then select it to drive as a one off, without seeing it in traffic,

3. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i can remember banker locos operating out of Manchester Victoria, but i cant remember when they stopped using them to help up the incline to miles platting

4. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ive seen something on youtube with a 25? Helping a 56 tank service.

5. hightower

hightower Guest

There was me thinking you’d be so mega slick you’d be able to knock out scenarios in no time at all, (2 days maybe? :) ) even if it was simply a few of the more interesting services presented as scenarios...at least it’d be something which would have likely widened the appeal of the pack even further.

I get why it’s a faff to do though, and hadn’t considered the additional work of localisation. It’s never something that’s come up when making 3rd party TS1 scenarios.

That said, something like a scenario might make a very welcome addition as a Mastery achievement (for example). Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2019
  6. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Yep have thought of that and would love to do something like that - not just for that goal, but also to allow you to say "on this specific service, run it with this specific loco" - e.g. currently you can pick only the loco you start in, but if you want to go from the 33 to the 52 within service mode on WSR you really can't do that unless it happens to spawn them both in the same session randomly.

The UI for that though requires careful thought or it turns into a mess once you take into account all the locos and liveries and so forth! :)

Scenarios as Mastery rewards - definitely something that's been discussed.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Would you have to treat every variation of loco, as a different loco altogether?Rather than have a loco with paint brush icon,ie say if 43002 Kenneth Grange livery existed on GWE it would need to be treat as seperate from other HSTs so as not to appear twice. Would it be too complex to have the timetable and assign locos to the service code? ie the game could auto fill then the user could assign manually? Further in the future it could be expanded to mixed livery units or coaches, and for all these options there would be logic in the game that only allows compatible service appropriate components in the rake.
    On user service selection, yeah I often look out for the 52 in AI but rarely see it. My game has a preference for 47s and 09s.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  8. hightower

hightower Guest

Great news!

9. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

This?

At some point when memory usage is sorted out replace the 25 with a 31 and you're away. :)

And there's also this. The 2nd loco is interesting!

So would you say Matt that developing the game with consoles in mind has actually helped in creating more streamlined optimal code and processes that perhaps at one time might have been left to the extra oomph of more powerful PCs to deal with?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

To generate more sales of TVL. If people really want the loco they will buy the loco and the route. The more variety from DLC they add to a route the more people are likely to buy the route. NTP already has quite a lot of variety, but of course more would always be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Good point. Cant buy the loco without the route. Although if you have NTP only and want the 31 then you would also be tempted to buy TVL.

12. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

nice to see them old films of miles platting with 37s and 56s 25s and 31s. oh and i remember the wilsons brewery. i was born not far down the line from there in lived in my early years in droylesden, ashton.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

I really like how Matt weighs in every now and then recently and sheds some light on what's going on behind the scenes. Knowledge is the best medicine for baseless speculations :)

• Like Like x 9
  14. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

That assumes most people are not buying TVL because they don't want it, rather than because they cannot afford it. The likelyhood is that many people only wanted to spend £24.99 on a route of their choosing, so they chose the route they prefered, which for most people happened to be NTP. You can't force people to buy DLC they can't afford buy adding more DLC to it. What you're suggesting is marketing to a small minority of people with a large enough amount of disposable income who can afford to buy a route they don't want to obtain a locomotive they do want. The reality is that most people can't afford to do that.

15. thearkerportian

Don't forget NTP is part of the "starter pack" that comes with the current base game, many people will have gotten it that way.

16. hightower

hightower Guest

...and it was released a good while before TVL so it stands to reason people are more likely to have it.

I might be wrong, but I also don’t recall TVL ever having been discounted.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

In total frank honesty - that's a yes.

Necessity is the mother of invention - if the game is acceptable on the platforms you dont solve needless problems. But, if it's not running well on one you spend time optimising for it - with the end result that the other higher end platforms now run even better. Nobody loses.

Matt.

• Like Like x 6
  18. thearkerportian

Another factor to consider, yes. Also, after WSR and NTP, TVL was the third essentially historic BR route in a row, the second BR era Northern England in a row, the second with class a 101, so people might just have grown tired of its setting by then. Just not enough new stuff.

19. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

The appeal of TVL for me wasnt so much when it was set or the 15 mile drive at 30-60 mph but the jobs on offer, previously only done in scenarios, such as loading and unloading wagons.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

As mentioned on twitter the Class 31 will be released on November 14th. Does this include all platforms or steam only?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

All platforms

• Like Like x 2
  22. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Except 9 3/4 ;) :P

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 7
  23. thearkerportian

Ah, new UK route coming up too? Great! Only, is it the ECML or the Hogwarts Express? Clarify, please! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  24. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

YouTube suggested me an interesting video regarding the class 31.

• Like Like x 4
  25. thearkerportian

On a side note, interesting how the connotation of certain images change over time. That black smoke from the funnel. Back than "prgress, advance, moving forward", today "omg POLLU*coughcouch*LUTION!!!!"

And that Swedish chick and her kindergarten for future gang claims "nothing has been done whatsoever"... much wow.

• Like Like x 2
  26. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

27. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Our newest engine the sd70ace-t4/ st70ah are said to be our most economical engine yet. Norfolk Southern and BNSF are testing natural gas as well as batteries also, so we're getting there. 6021.1564607079.jpg 27676762547_f795161b6c_b.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  28. TrainSim-Steve

I wish!!! Sadly, the licensing alone for those would be prohibitively time consuming and expensive.

Wow! Be interesting to see how they get on with battery powered machines - wonder if they'll come with lane avoidance and autopilot too ;) :P

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  29. thearkerportian

Lane avoidance, oh yes! Reminds me of a lightrail crash we had a few years back here in the city: One train rearended another, later it turned out the driver at fault was drunk with two promills of alcohol in his system. At least that's what the police said.

I doubt that: Witnesses say he drove in a perfectly straight line prior to the impact. Only went straight through a stop or two. :D

• Like Like x 3
  30. TrainSim-Steve

31. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

You can import all Train Simulator routes because license already included for trains and routes

32. thearkerportian

I don't know what the situation is with TS/TSW specifically, but in general, that's not how licensing works. For example, EA with their annual sports titles have to acquire each team's license year after year, they once said somewhere.

Also, TS routes can't be imported into TSW with it's completely different engine. Needs to be rebuilt from scratch.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  33. TrainSim-Steve

Technically not accurate. Licenses are only valid for a limited time and once expired, it essentially means we cannot make new content featuring that brand (porting from one title to another is exactly the same thing as making new content).

Best, Steve

• Helpful Helpful x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

31 stream tonight 6pm youtube and twitch.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  35. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Steve
    The Class 31 DLC is broken on PS4. I've just downloaded it and there are no services, the loco doesn't show in the TVL list and the journey shows a total of 19 options but only the tutorial and scenarios are there. FFS, can't you guys release one thing that isn't busted?

36. thearkerportian

Isn't it supposed to release tomorrow, not today? Maybe some sort of preloading happened there? paulmurphy_88

37. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like the loco DLC has downloaded before the patch to the route which prepares for it...
    Botched release maybe, but possibly not DTG's fault (only possibly)
    I would wait for the pre-release update which should be today/tomorrow before completely losing it

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. DXR8002

I'm in New Zealand, it's the 14th here. Already on the store. Trust me, it's broken.

39. ARuscoe

Couldn't give a monkeys... unless the route update has dropped, you probably won't have the services.
    DTG may have asked PS Store to release at x time on the 14th and it got messed up. It happens

40. DXR8002

I don't care if you couldn't give a monkeys, I'm just telling you the facts. Yes, it's possible, but tell you what, every damn DLC they've released has been broken or bugged so forgive me for getting pissed. Never seen so many bugs in one software product.

41. ARuscoe

Yeah, Playstatgion store is quite buggy, because that's the software you're talking about...
    At least aim your venom in the right direction

• Like Like x 3
  42. TrainSim-Steve

Hi paulmurphy_88,

Thanks for letting us know. We've double-checked things our end and have re-published the enabling update. Usually this takes about 10 minutes to propagate but let us know if you've still not got it after that time. May need to force an update check.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
  43. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Nice, respectful reply after typical Kiwi attitude lol...The first mainland to experience a new day and a new problem. I live in NZ too.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  44. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Well.. it gets lonely out there in the middle of the ocean.. not much going on.. semi final cough cough.. must make allowances.. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  45. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hello, I am really interested in this DLC but the only thing is I have no idea when it’s releasing! I looked through the article and it only says coming soon and I couldn’t find any other information on this website. I am really confused.

46. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

It is laucnhed tomorrow on Steam PC

47. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Also Xbox and PS4

48. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Ohh awesome, thank you so much for sharing this info with me because I wouldn’t have known otherwise...

49. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Hopefully after midnight

50. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

There is also a dev stream with Matt and Dimitri to show the loco off at 6pm UK time tonight on their Twitch and Youtube

• Like Like x 1