PC (poll) Requested Features/core Game Additions For Tsw

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Nov 8, 2019.

?
  1. Variable adhesion/wheel slip

44.5%
  2. Variable/changeable weather

59.7%
  3. Cab/camera sway whilst driving

55.5%
  4. PIS - announcements and working display screens

59.7%
  5. Random infrastructure/train faults and failures

45.5%
  6. Disruption caused by adverse weather

35.1%
  7. Other (comment below)

9.4%
  8. Improved/more detailed 2D map to include labels etc

36.1%
  9. Time skip feature

13.6%
  10. Teleportation

9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Hello all.

The purpose of this thread is to find out what the community (us) want next in term of features and to see what is the most popular. Hopefully DTG will acknowledge this thread and better provide us with features that the majority of the community wants, by prioritising their projects.

I have provided a poll with a few different options, but if you have any suggestions of yourself, feel free to comment below.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the poll,
    Let's just hope DTG take note of the findings and implement them.
    Regards

3. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

My main wish at the moment: better graphics, especially the immersion-breaking draw distance of shadows and catenary masts are very annoing to me. I'm on Xbox, but what I saw on PC looked similar for this particular problem.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Great idea and good choice of options.

5. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Watching the thread with interest :)

• Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  6. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

7. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

I've voted, but ROFL.

8. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with any of those next. Can't really pick a winner but I'd say lowest priority was variable adhesion/wheelslip as this is kind of already there but it's not great.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

• Dynamic weather - I really enjoy the implementation of this in Journey mode for some services and would enjoy seeing it built upon
    • Cab/camera sway whilst driving - this would be HUGE!!!
    • PIS - Especially for LIRR. I miss riding and hearing the announcement for the next station on my old daily commute to Hicksville.
    I agree with TRAXX on his point on the graphics. A much better default draw distance would be appreciated. Seeing track and fencing popping like 50 feet in front of you can be distracting.

It's been talked about ad nauseam here but of course .. the editor.

Matt, you've been quite forthcoming lately so I would be interested to hear your more informed point of view on these sought after features.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DTG Matt

Just to summarise what is and isn't there currently - with the usual caution of "none of this stuff works in shipping builds fully or at all, and i'm not promising it ever will" etc etc. Neither am I saying, it never will, either. I'm basically saying nothing. This is for interests-sake only :)

Some aspects of this, wheels can slip. We have an adhesion model and there's the spark visuals. We can even set stretches of track up with different adhesion levels (think low adhesion areas under hanging trees for example). What isn't there yet is integrating with the weather systems primarily, plus some other mechanics needed to make it all work properly.

Is technically there, and quite a nice system with not just changeable but also the potential for random subtle changes as time goes on (so it can choose to go from a sunny day through cloudy to showers and a storm, or maybe the clouds come in and go out, or maybe it gets to showers and just remains cloudy after or ... etc). However, there have transpired to be some inflexibility or artifacts with the implementation such as the manner of transitions that we'd like to get ironed out before it gets used fully. It has to be said though, it's with the variable weather that the positives of the cloud system come in to effect; having the skies smoothly fill or empty with clouds is much much better than just a photo transition from clear to cloudy or something like that.

Have made some progress on this in the past, well aware it's strongly desired (and share that desire!).

Other than some basic research internally no progress on this yet.

Other than some design thoughts, nothing here yet on this - it needs careful thought and planning, people won't appreciate "well thats your lot, service terminated early" I suspect.

What do you mean by this?

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 9
  11. londonmidland

Thanks for replying. By this I mean say you’ve selected heavy rain, snow or wind at the highest intensity, perhaps that could be a chance of some impacts by the weather.

Such as flooding, fallen trees, snow blocking the line etc.

12. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

There's a few things I would like to see... some similar... some not mentioned.

Weather & Seasons - Coming from a flightsim background... I wouldn't just like to see dynamic weather, but also live weather (could be defined by reading a local metar reports for that particular route). I think that would really bring up the simulation aspect of the sim. Would also like to see more scenarios where seasons impact train performance or passenger density. (e.g. leaves/snow on the line... which I think is slightly present in CSXHH, people rushing to catch the train in wet weather.) For further reference of ideas :

Guard operation vs Driver Only - Better detection for doors at stations (looking at you LIRR O_O). More interactions with an AI guard.

Ability to have a pop-out timetable of expected depatures/arrivals per station - Sort of ties into PIS... but more practical for when players are running around on service mode, and deciding what trains they could take-over.

Electric and physical token based signalling

That's all I can think of for now. :D

13. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing what might come out! Thanks for that detail Matt- I cant stress enough how exciting and positive it is to hear this level of detail. I know it carries risks but it also imho develops a sense of loyalty to the studio and a greater understanding/capacity for patience. Having finished my NTP walk I can really appreciate the effort going into this product. Great work :)

14. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Some of the things which I would like to see in-game:
    • Improvements to the map
      The map currently shows tracks, trains and points but nothing more. I'd like to see the following things:
      1. Names of places. The way Google Maps does this is a good example: if you're zoomed out it shows the name of the area (e.g. 'Old Oak Common'), when zooming in you get more details (e.g. 'Old Oak Common Reception Line' for a specific named track')
      2. Information about trains. Show a label or tooltip next to a train so you can tell where it's going, add a details flyout when you click on it showing that train's objectives
    • More use for the T-key overlay
      When you're in control of a train and you press T, you get an overlay stating the objectives for the train you're driving. I'd like to see this overlay's use extended further:
      • If you board a train as a passenger and press T, the overlay would show the objectives of the train you're on (with the train being controlled by AI)
      • If you're walking around a station and press T, the overlay shows upcoming departures, arrivals and passing trains for your current location.
      • If you're roaming the world hunting collectibles, pressing T wouldn't give you much useful information.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

My "Other" requests would be a key to give up a service manually as well as the ability to teleport or time travel without leaving service mode.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

This x100

17. hightower

hightower Guest

The $64,000 question (dons tin hat and dives for cover) purely for discussion purposes...

Where does the editor fall into this wishlist?

My opinion only obviously, but I would actually rather see the first four options on that list implemented before I would see a publicly available editor. If third parties were to have the editor to build content alongside DTG that, for now, is enough for me.

I’m not saying that in an ideal world it wouldn’t all come at once but we know that that’s just not realistic. I also know that I’m probably in a minority, but I’m actually ok with the thought of those features coming along first. I feel they would attract more players, meaning more money for DTG, meaning (hopefully) more resources available to the Dev team.

That aside, there are some really good ideas in amongst the thread too. I’m all for the flight sim style real world, real time dynamic weather!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

To add to the points I've voted for:
    • Variable service performance (AI driving early, late, skipping stops or breaking down outright (if there's a possibility to find a way for dispatcher to cope with it somehow)).
    • Variable adhesion affecting AI in simplistic ways at least (I'm aware full simulation isn't running for them). So when you select the most extreme weather presets it's not just you suffering, but all the services struggling and timetable falling apart.

19. DTG Matt

Teleport is something we've been thinking about.

Time travel - now that's something people ask for a lot but there are some really tough problems to solve there, depending on how people expect it to work. But surely it "just works" I hear you cry... so let me explain.

Let's say you started by spawning in the world at 10am. You did some free-shunting in the yard because there was time to kill. Now you got in a passenger train and drove it a few stops but you're running a few minutes late. You change over to another train and drive back to where you started. You're having a great time. Now it's say 11am and you want to skip to 12 noon.

The principal question is - do you want the world to flow on, with all your shunting changes and delayed trains and so forth continued on to noon so the world is how it would be had you just sit there for an hour real-time and waited

OR would you be happy with essentially resetting, as if you had gone through the menu and re-started the game at the new time.

I'm just gonig to assume you don't think you're oging to get to watch the trains flying about a 100 times speed because, well, that's not practical :)

If you want the "full fat" version, that means the game has to run its "timetable simulation" process on the fly in the game, that is not instant, it could be a 10+ minute wait depending on how far you want to jump. A full 24 hour timetable sim on my i4790 (i think) laptop takes about 90 minutes. So if you were to jump in at 2am and want to jump to 10pm - that'd be the best part of an hour's wait! It just doesnt sound practical to me.

If you are happy with the "skimmed milk" version it's actually "not very hard to do"(1) and would be near instant to use because all of that data is pre-calculated already by the data tracks we already save as part of the dev process.

(1) - "not very hard to do" is not meant to imply it could be done in 5 minutes by the engineering team, and I will certainly be shot by all the engineers one at a time if you take what I said to mean that in any shape or form... :)

Thoughts on a postcard / forum post.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  20. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Doesn't need to be this particularly.
    If you could build in a random delay (say up to five minutes) to any service you'd then have an out of sequence consist which would cause adverse signalling and maybe platform change requirements (which could be in the form of hidden instructions). Obviously there would be times where failures take place and the driver would become a passenger but in game there are alternatives

21. DTG Matt

These are all great and have actually been in the original designs since day 1... however... they make testing it basically impossible :)

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

From playing TSW I've learned that the AI dispatcher isn't very robust and can easily be confused and broken. This will always prevent more complex scenarios from being played out in Service mode. The dispatcher in TS2020 seems to be more robust, and can be quite effective if the route is correctly built and signalled.

The further down the line we get the less likely it is that DTG will fix these problems, this goes for many of the other issues with the base game too. Everytime a new DLC is released, it adds load to the testing process of any alterations to the base game. When the game was first released, any changes to the base game would only result in CSX:HH having to be retested each time. Now DTG are in a position where they have to retest 18 or more DLCs each time they change something in the base game to ensure that they still work as expected. At some point the cost of retesting everything will outweigh the gain from adding a particular feature and therefore those features won't be implemented.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DTG Matt

Not really true for the most part, but in some cases yes.

The Despatcher for example has a completely versioned implementation - we're on Version 3 already. This means that we can implement new fixes and improvements (v3 was almost a complete rewrite) without having to re-test old content. We can then go back and upgrade that content to the newer one as and when the need / opportunity arises. There aren't many routes using v3 despatcher yet.

All train physics are in versioned components as well, so if we want a new fluid coupling component we can do so without impacting old content.

There are still some aspects that are tough to version, but significant amounts of the core are now versioned to allow us to keep moving the sim forwards without the ball-and-chain of history holding the sim back.

• Helpful Helpful x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  24. ARuscoe

You know, this sort of thing would make a really good and interesting STUDIO UPDATE!
    S*&t like this keeps geeks happy!

• Like Like x 6
  25. DTG Matt

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 20
  26. fpriotto520

fpriotto520 Member

HIGHTOWER ="...where does the editor fall into this wishlist?...."

Nowhere.
    If you have noticed DTG talks about everything except about the editor.

27. Digital Draftsman

Presumably that then brings its own issues, as if new content is running a different version of some module it may not work with previous modules. For example, if a loco is running one version of PZB and the route is running another, the two can't work together. This then prevents 'Quick Drive' style game play because not all stock functions correctly on applicable all routes.

28. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I voted for (in order):
    Cab Sway
    Variable Weather
    PIS/Station Announcements

I think all three would greatly enhance immersion, and the first would provide a tangible gameplay improvement by providing some acceleration/deceleration feedback so you don't have to be staring at the accelerometer HUD element all the time. This is especially useful as you're learning the route. I suppose an alternate/additional method would be to update the manual (especially if it could be accessed in-game) to include a more detailed route map that included gradients and pointed out particularly tricky stretches of the line.

As Matt mentioned, I do notice some of the variable weather effects in the game sometimes, and they work pretty well, I think. Hope they continue to iron out the bugs so it can be fully implemented.

PIS/Station announcements sounds like it's lower on the priority list. I also realize recording a bunch of announcement dialogue could get quite expensive, I'd settle for just functioning station boards.

After I voted, someone mentioned Improved in-game map with track and train labels. 100% yes!!

• Like Like x 2
  29. DTG Matt

We'd endeavour to keep systems compatible - but yes it can create some interop problems. We can control it though and bring in extra tasks to get things compatible as required.

Point is, it's controllable and not a dead weight that means further improvements become impractical.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. ARuscoe

Unless it defaults to the least "full" version with backwards compatility... Only DTG knows...

31. DTG Matt

In the PZB case - the only thing a route knows is where the 500hz, 1000hz and 2000hz magnets are (what happens on the signal aspects is the routes problem, not the trains problem). There's really nothing else that the route needs to know. so even if a loco gets a spangly new implementation of PZB - as logn as the magnets are right it will work with other locos. If the magnets are wrong then they would get fixed and would continue to work with the existing locos.

If we were to add support for an additional type (e.g. the Gu speed magnets, which are actually there now - but let's just say they weren't) then it'd be done in such a way that it would be compatible with old locos.

These problems are all solvable.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. Digital Draftsman

It's been about a year since the planned public beta test of the Editor was supposed to occur before being moved to 'the new year.' Will we be seeing a public beta test this year? It's probably the most sought-after feature.

• Like Like x 4
  33. DTG Matt

I don't have any update on the editor at this point i'm afraid.

Matt.

• Like Like x 4
  34. Digital Draftsman

Thank you for at least addressing the question, even if there's nothing more you can say. :)

35. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Upgrades to the map, please!
    ... and the ability to reach some of the "fenced off" areas would be good. It would allow us to potter about away from the running lines (e.g. put some Mk1 coaches in the southall sidings and let us use the western diesels there...)

• Like Like x 1
  36. hightower

hightower Guest

When I talk about the editor, I mean from our point of view and where it might sit on people’s individual wish lists, not DTGs.

As I said, as far as I’m concerned if DTG get into adding features like are being suggested here, the desperate need for an editor becomes significantly less so. All in my opinion though of course.

37. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 6
  38. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, as I have yet to receive that email.

P.S. I chose pretty much all the features (surprise, surprise) and agree with what a lot of the statements people have set fourth above and probably will state at a later date, below.

39. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I like the T-key proposal and a "fast forward if standing still, impossible while driving"-key so that back-to-back rides (outside MSB) become easier to attain. For waiting at a station it might come in handy, too :)

Voted for more dynamic weather and AI stuff happening

40. hauipilot

hauipilot New Member

Sorry if already mentioned: when does the first steam-loco arrive at this wonderful game?

41. fpriotto520

fpriotto520 Member

Steam Loco= 2023
    EDITOR=2030
    Quick Drive=2027

• Like Like x 1
  42. Maxxxxx

Maxxxxx Well-Known Member

We need better sunset/sunrise lighting! The current one doesnt look really good, the sun is way too bright, the trees reflect too much sunlight and the ground/grass also looks like some overreflective mirror. The station lights also get turned on way too early
    Here's a screenshot at the lighting at 5PM on MSB:
    upload_2019-11-8_21-7-8.png

And here overreflective trees (in this case on RSN):
    upload_2019-11-8_21-8-20.png

And here lighting at 7AM. As you can see its way too bright and makes the scenery look awful (Not to mention the lack of distant scenery)
    upload_2019-11-8_21-12-12.png

• Like Like x 2
  43. Ost-Trieb

Ost-Trieb Member

More graphic Options would be nice. i think ist not a problem to add more. like this we add in the engine.ini.

44. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

45. DTG Matt

This poll is getting some good feedback but the poll isn't capturing the additional items that people are adding in the thread.

I wonder if this one runs its course and then in a couple of days someone perhaps start a new one which summarises the options from this thread as well for a bigger poll - and if you make it "pick the one you would want if you can only have one" you get a better picture of whats important too.

Just a thought.

Matt.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. londonmidland

It’s amazing to see how popular this thread already is and what your guys want to see in TSW for the future.

I’ve added a couple of additional choices to the poll to reflect on some of the feedback and comments I’ve had so far.

As Matt has said, I, or someone else, will probably have to make a new poll when this one dies, allowing only one choice per vote.

Still interesting to see everyone’s choices nevertheless.

• Like Like x 6
  47. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

Tone down the lighting, improve the sounds especially when going over and under bridges and through tunnels, better looking and realistic skies, remove the annoying second man/women (looks stupid when driving an old BR route and a woman spawns dressed like a librarian), make use of the rumble feature on the PS4 joypad when accelerating and going over points etc.

48. elatn

elatn Active Member

I was actually thinking about realistic adhesion in TSW. Would be fun with slippery tracks when it's raining or snowing, and maybe hearing the "screaming" sound of the wheels while they are slipping.
    It would also be nice to walk inside all of the locomotives' engine room in TSW.

49. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Liveries, loco options for ai and user. cab sway. Engine and warning horn sounds same standard as the Ed Fisk locos but heard from greater distances too.

50. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Adhesion would first of all increase the replay value of any route DLC by a huge amount. Driving in different weather and seasons would be an entirely different experience. So yes. Much agreed!

Engine rooms though, as much as I'd love that myself, but the time it take to model these is almost enough to create a whole second locomotive. Which, in all honesty, I'll prefer to have. The engine rooms, nose compartments and such, after all are things that you look at, get amazed by the modelling, and then never look at again. Nothing to do there after all. Apart from the few exceptions where there are some important switches there, in which case we do get the engine room modeled. ACS64, Taurus, BR143, BR155...

TrainSim-Matt They could make the engine room lights in the DB BR143 operational though, that would be nice ;)