North American Train Handling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by treid09, Nov 9, 2019.

1. treid09

treid09 Guest

I recently had a very strange derailment in TS 2020, and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced a freakish derailment like this.
    What!.png
    I was running an 80 car or so intermodal train on Marias Pass starting at Whitefish. The train had four BNSF C44-9Ws up front and one at the rear serving as a DPU (Distributed Power Unit). The speed limit after clearing Whitefish is 70 MPH, but coming into Columbia Fall it drops to 45 MPH I believe. I had gotten the train up to 62 MPH when I reduced the throttle to idle gradually so as to avoid a run in of the slack and waited the ten seconds necessary before setting up dynamic braking. As you can see on my HUD, I had gotten the dynamics to N2 before suddenly everything derailed. The screenshot I took is toward the rear of the train, but it gives a good idea of what it looked like. The derailment happened right outside of Columbia Falls on Main 2 West. I've heard stories of real-life accidents where an engineer applied to much head end breaking force, causing the train to have so much buff force (force of car movement pushing on the head end of the train) that it derailed. Is that what happened here, or is this just a TS quirk? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I always try to run as accurately as possible to real North American practices. God bless.

2. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

On most engines, especially older models (like the Dash-9), the dynamics are really buggy and probably just shouldn't be used at all.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. treid09

treid09 Guest

Thanks Brickrail. I didn’t know that they were like that. I guess a minimum reduction is definitely better than derailing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2019
  5. treid09

treid09 Guest

Thanks a lot Blacknred, I will definitely look into that physics pack. It stinks that D9s are so buggy. I’ve always thought they looked good and have accurate sounds. Hope that Searchlight remakes their 7FDL16 enhancement one day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

I hope that they make their own Dash-9s, or port over Jointed Rail's Dash-9s.

• Like Like x 1
  7. treid09

treid09 Guest

Heck yeah. Those Jointed Rail ports are top notch, but if they make their own, it would be amazing. Actually, I don't know if they are still working on it or not, but they had picked up a C40-9 project from VRC (I think.) So we might actually get our wish!

8. treid09

treid09 Guest

By the way, I just noticed that the two D9s are smooshed together like you said. Think you might have stumbled across a groundbreaking new locomotive design.