PlayStation West Somerset Railway - Class 47 And Class 09 Questions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cottonmouth, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth Active Member

Hi Guys, I have a couple of questions I would like to ask regarding a couple of things on the West Somerset Railway I have come across on the Class 47 and Class 09 engines. First of do Dovetail look at this site to take in what we might find?
    For example
    1. Class 47 side window options - surely Dovetail have got this wrong? surely it would be correct to have the left side window option on the left and right view option on the right on the option wheel instead of what they have done ? Just a minor detail
    Train Sim World_20191111081331.jpg
    Next point the sound of the Horn on the 47 surely again they got the sound the wrong way? Because when sounding the horn I get what sounds like a child's toy horn.
    Train Sim World_20191111081352.jpg
    Last Question is on the Class 09 regarding the drivers seats which one is the main drivers seat left side or the right side? of does the driver select which one is better for him for driving/viewing

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Just look at the map. I suspect it might be that you're in cab 2?
    Horns have been a bit of a bug of mine in TSW. Some trains sound spot on 3rd party. 33 and 45 are good examples. Others, just plain off. Don't no why? Or why DTG make out theres nothing wrong in this regard.Theres even a difference between DTG TSxx horn sounds (without enhancement packs) and TSW ones.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  3. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

The way I see it. Going forwards or in reverse, you want to be looking out of the left window to see the signals. So control options on both sides.

4. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

if you use a keyboard the n and space bar work the horn, high and low sound. i think the sounds are much better when using the keyboard

5. Cottonmouth

Hi Guys, Rob39 you mentioned that Just look at the map. I suspect it might be that you're in cab 2? But that does not solve anything because at the end of the day LEFT is LEFT and RIGHT is RIGHT so it doe's not matter what direction you are facing. Pic to show
    Full Frontal
    1.jpg
    Left cab first
    2.jpg
    Right Cab
    3.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Aren't driver seats just always on the signal side for whichever country? Left for UK, right for DE/US.

7. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Usually yes, but in the case of shunting locomotives it tends to be a bit different. They tend to keep going back and forth, changing directions all day long, so they often have one driver's cab in the middle (instead of one at each end) with two instrument panels on both sides.

In the class 08, the right seat seems to be the primary one, since it has a master switch, which the other doesn not.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I believe the centre console (with speedometer on it) rotates to face whichever seat is in use, and as the controls are dual I would use whatever is best for that moment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. J4mes

J4mes Member

I normally use both, did shunting stint on WSR the other night and kept changing seats as to what side I climbed in or out the cab after changing points levers and coupling/uncoupling stock.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Im glad Im not the only one ;) Gash as old boots probably but gets the job done. :)

11. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

Class 47s can have incredibly ropey sounding horns, e.g

There's not really a main side for the 08/09, it can be driven from the left or right since its dual sided controls, whichever is most convenient for driving really, BR typically drove on the left but the technical main side for 08/09s is the right.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cottonmouth

Thanks for showing this clip, me thinks they might have the sounds correct then?