More Variety In Freight Trains

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TRAXX-Driver, Nov 11, 2019.

1. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

I would like to see more variety in freight trains. Particularly I'm talking about the ones that appear on the german TSW-routes. In my naivety I think some of my mentions would be relatively easy to achieve.

• Use of some of the wagons in different directions, if this makes a visual difference. Especially the block trains of Shimmns would look more interesting and more realistic in my opinion.
    • Use of partly loaded container wagons.
    • Use of empty car transporter wagons. Currently they are always full of white cars.
    • Use of all german freight cars of all route- and loco-dlcs owned by the player on all german routes if this correspondends to reality.
    • More liveries, e. g. "Eva", "VTG", "wascosa" or "ermewa" for tank-wagons, "Transwaggon" for the Habbiins (I know, licenses are neccessary to do so).
    If there will ever be a german freight pack (with or without any new loco) that can be used an all german TSW-routes it will be an instant buy for me.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

NTP freight could benefit from similar treatment. Good idea!

• Like Like x 1
  3. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Dirty, graffitied versions might help too!

• Like Like x 4
  4. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

Definitely. I think it might be challenging to get permission from the license holder to do so.

5. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Some of them features could be applied to US freights as well. In Germany, do they put the empties near the back and the loaded ones up front? If so, that could be implemented as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Or maybe just mix in a few different colours!

7. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I know Im prob getting carried away here and possibly run the risk of diverting off piste and Id absolutely love to see all these cool suggestions actually introduced, but how cool would it be as well to have that occasional banging wheel that you hear sonetimes as a freight train goes by.. that one bogey wagon (no pun intended) in each DLC that makes a racket!

• Like Like x 2
  8. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

The one does not exclude the other. Both seem easy to implement.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

I would like to see some variety added also. Even if the user doesn't own the DLC, if the locos/wagons go past on the route would be great to see. I think we may need to see more variety of wagons added also before we get mixed freight going, and then being able to drop the different loads off at different stops etc. But at least for a start, as other people have suggested, differences in colour/weathering/facing would be good.

10. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

GWE freight is woefully boring, drive from A to B and done. Every single service is the same, there was very little thought going into it which is a shame as GWE could be something amazing with a little tlc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

You mean the defacer, of course? I agree that more, if not all, freight cars and engines should show signs of wear and tear, but I find graffiti offensive as well as illegal.
    (and --- along will come the little x's -- thinking of graffiti!)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Big Papi34

Some graffiti is interesting. No, I don't support it and find some plain out rude. But, I've seen pretty interesting graffiti before.

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I heard that they were planning on doing things similar to this (was spoken about in previous dev vids) but then UE changed the friction dynamics, so DTG weren't then able to dynamically change the weight of a wagon, meaning that technically (as in in-game) a loaded wagon is a completely separate asset from an unloaded one, so to do a half-loaded one would be yet another asset with each variant (clean / dirty) etc etc

But it did come down to a UE issue, not a DTG one

14. Big Papi34

Another issue. If the lighter cars were set upfront with the loaded in the back, there will be a "stringline" as it's called.

15. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Hey Traxx-Driver, have you read through this thread?:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/dtg-when.18916/#post-99996
    It might answer some of your questions as to why there is currently a lack of German freight in TSW. Of course, a lot of us would like to see more freight variety come in the near and distant future.

16. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

I meant both dirt and graffiti. But dirt shouldn't be a real problem for the license holder, I think. I do not like graffiti at all, but especially freight wagons with some of them would depict reality.

Thank you for the explanation. As the "S" in TSW stands for "simulation", that's really bad. I hope there will be a solution for this in the future.

I read this thread. I think the solution for the lack of rolling stock (and any other content) would (or hopefully will) be 3rd party content. I've moved over to TS2020, it fulfills many of my wishes and suits much better for me at the moment. There is so much potential in TSW that in my opinion could be much better used if DTG would allow 3rd party developers to create and sell their own content.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. thearkerportian

Frankly, most freight cars look just as ugly with and without paintings on. And what harm do graffiti even do on them, these wagons are not designed to look pretty nor do they profit in any way from it. And as for passenger vehicles, with some TOCs painting them like this:
    [​IMG]
    I can't really blame anyone for confusing them with an empty sheet of paper or canvas. It's a well known principle among architects and city planners: If you build it nice in the first place, it's much less likely to get vandalized. Trains, trucks, vans and such tend to be in stark violation of that principle. In other words, there's a reason you hardly ever see graffiti on cars for example.

It's a different story of course when the train is rendered inoperable by the graffiti - covered windscreens, spec labels, road numbers, that sort of thing. But good sprayers will stick to the rule of not messing with these. Their goal is to improve things, not damage them.

Also, (caution, generalisation inbound) I don't really buy that most railbuffs' gripe about this is whether it's illegal: When I upload a picture of a tagged train on the various trainspotter sites, I get backlash every now and then. "That's illegal", "How can you give these idiots a platform", etc.
    Other pictures meanwhile, where the graffiti is featured equally prominently (and equally illegally), but on a bridge support for example, nobody complains. The one time someone did complain, it was actually a graffito stretched over an entire retaining wall - done by a genuinely talented artist, ordered and paid for by the city.
    Doesn't sound right like righteous citizen to me. More like butthurt fanboy. "Ew. Somebody doesn't care about our dear precious trains!"

And now give me my next dozen downvotes. Or even better, convince me wrong. But people generally don't do that...

• Like Like x 1
  18. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

I find the repeating white vehicles on MSB's autorack trains extremely creepy and jarring to look at. Maybe a random color generator for those vehicles as well? Unless Germans exclusively buy white cars?

19. thearkerportian

Sad part is, this isn't very far from true. White, grey, silver, black... an occasional red or blue one... all else is rather rare.