What Will The Next Uk Route Be?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by UnlimitedMagic, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Vanhalen1

Vanhalen1 Member

With TSW is there a limit with distance with route building.

2. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Not really. The limit is how long it would take to create longer routes in manhours, how much they'd have to charge for it and how many people would be willing to buy it then.

The closest thing to a technical limitation is the hard disk space and download size it would require, again, possibly rdeucing the number of people willing to buy.

Regarding length, I'd encourage DTG to be experimental and build a route that is at least a little longer than usual and offer it at the same price as usual, and see what happens sales-wise. Not so long that it ruins them if it doesn't sell well enough of course, that's not what I'm saying. But with half the community here, and even more who never transitioned to TSW from other sims, craving something to go long-haul, "it's not THAT short" might actually be a selling point. They sort of did that with Peninsula after all, which didn't seem to do bad at all. Or alternatively, a really long route (110, 120 km or so) and charge just a little more than the standard 30 Euros. 35 perhaps? And again, see how it works out. Personally I'd be very likely to buy such a route*. It's not that you can't see they require work to produce after all.

*Unless perhaps it turns out to be the third BR era Northern England route...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

If we see the next UK route as another BR era route (northern or not) then I’ll be all but convinced that DTG are unable to acquire other licences.

BR has it’s place, it’s enjoyable but three in a row would be overkill in my eyes.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The limit is development time. The route doesn't all load in at once, but as tiles which load in as you will need them, and out when you're done with them, so as far as your computer (or console) goes it's only got a few tiles in memory at any one time

The limitation seems to be how much stuff you have in those tiles, how complex that stuff is and how you transform that stuff as you go past

Of course the same applies to the locos, both the player consist and any AI (and any scenery assets)

• Like Like x 1
  5. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I am hoping the next UK route will be Moderm electric. I would be happy with any of the following:-
    London-Tilbury-Southend (Class 357)
    Birmingham Cross City (Class 323)
    Leeds-Skipton (Class 333)
    London-Brighton (Class 377)
    Edinburgh-Glasgow via Falkirk (Class 385)
    GWE Electric (Updated/reworked London-Didcot route) Class 387
    Liverpool to Manchester (via Chat Moss) Class 319

• Like Like x 7
  6. thearkerportian

Having made a suggestion for London-Southend myself ( https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...-railway-fenchurch-street-shoeburyness.17668/ ) I'd more than happily take that :)

7. ARuscoe

Because C2C is a fairly closed system I can see this being more likely than a more open one (less impactful on the old memory). Only issue is where it's side by side with the LUL lines which would need populating too. Maybe with the recent route having the underslung railway to the side this can be done without impacting too much though

8. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. ARuscoe

Just did a quick RTT search on Bournville. Within the next hour there are paths for sprinters, 323, 220, 170s and HST
    Even with two of those that's a lot of dev

10. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

True what you say but they could release with just a class 323 and class 66 for any freight on the north sections plus a cross country HST set.

11. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

323 and 170 would do for starters. Throw in a few freight services up the Lickey Incline to Kings Norton (reuse the EWS 66) and I'd buy that without waiting for a sale! :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. ARuscoe

Just the three... :D
    Sounds simple, doesn't it

13. cosmo

cosmo Active Member

True. Matt himself recently said in a forum post I think that the reason for so much BR-era stock is accessibility reasons - it's easier to rig up for sounds and effectively they can hire out a heritage railway for the day, whereas otherwise there's a lot more planning involved and it could end up being too hard or impossible.

That doesn't stop third party groups like Armstrong Powerhouse pulling it off with the likes of the 156 pack they did for TSxx recently, but still, it's a difficult job.

• Like Like x 2
  14. cosmo

cosmo Active Member

That was one reason I got so behind the proposal for the Tyne and Wear Metro, it's mostly segregated from the mainline network and I suppose it wouldn't be nearly as hard to get all organised etc. There's also the fact no simulator has, to my knowledge, recreated the Metro, so there's uniqueness points right there!

I know that Nexus have been very cooperative with the Branch Line Society in the past for railtours on the Metro, so it's worth a shot DTG asking IMO :)

15. ARuscoe

All of the 156s were built in the 80s so hardly "up to date" and the cummins NT855Rx engines were used in a few different DMUs of that era so not sure if they needed to record sounds specifically off a 156 or another unit "would do"... As in they already had a sound pack for the 158 with a similar engine...

16. ARuscoe

Personally I think Merseyrail because of the similarities between Classes 313, 314 , 315, 507 & 508. So many possible applications for that lot with minimal work to be done once the base units have been made.

17. thearkerportian

Well, what Matt, and by extension cosmo, meant is: The 156s are still in daily service, which makes it harder to find one that is just standing around with nothing to do so you can do some recordings with it. If you find one it will mostly be a defective one. Good enough for taking photos probably, but for sounds you need it running, including at speed. And also staffed by the way, next issue to consider when planning the next DLC. Heritage railways in contrast, they are very opposite of that. Both men and machinery there are almost literally just waiting for someone to come visiting and taking in the place with eyes, ears, camers and microphones.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would like to see the Cross City line. I think you could get away with the 323, the HST in Cross Country livery and the class 66. Not all the trains running into Paddington are represented in GWE so I don't think people would expect four or five pieces of stock to ship with it.

Rugby to Wolverhampton (maybe with the Walsall line) would be something I would like to see, although you would really need a Pendolino and a class 350 rather than a 323. Or you could have it going to Stafford or maybe New Street to Shrewsbury with a 350 and a class 170.

My local lines, the Snow Hill lines would be do-able with a class 172 and the class 66.

Then again this post is just turning into a wishlist!

I think Cross City would be a real possibility though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. meselfhimself

meselfhimself New Member

If they would just release the Dev kit so third parties could make stuff.....
    Are they still working on it? or just holding it back while they make further developments/improvments to core TSW - or just dont want competetion yet?

20. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Presumably it isn't as easy as "just releasing" the kit otherwise they would have. Why would they hold it back on purpose, most likely more developers making products for TSW the more money DTG will make?!

I don't think it is a conspiracy!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  21. meselfhimself

meselfhimself New Member

Possibly yes, I dont know, not really suggesting a mostache twirling conspiricy exactly, but business is busineess and I dont know what works best for DTG in that regard.
    I only brought it up because its now 2 years in since release and things have gone very quiet on that front, some kind of news on it would be nice at least.
    E.g where they are at with it roughly

22. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

I am honestly just hoping for something electric, regardless of whether it's set in the present of the past. The Birmingham Cross City is the number 1 choice for me personally.

If we do get another BR Diesel Route, I'd like to be set somewhere in the South or Midlands (Wales would be fine too)

• Like Like x 4
  23. thearkerportian

Agreed. If it's a diesel route again, please make it different in another way. Maybe something modern again, last one of that was GWE.
    If it really needs to be the BR era again, please make it electric.

• Like Like x 3
  24. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

There is SO much amazing history with 3rd rail in the South of England with amazing rolling stock (the slam doors <3) it seems like a bit of a no brainer in all honesty to make it eventually. It's not a priority over a modern electric though for me.

• Like Like x 2
  25. thearkerportian

Maybe DB paid DTG a considerable sum to make them look so much more advanced than the rest of the world :D

• Like Like x 2
  26. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

lol possibly. Doesn’t make me want to buy the German dlc though, not interested in German locos.

27. thearkerportian

Lol, I've been like that too in the past. "Trains from different countries? Nah not interested." Maybe if its one I've seen on a holiday somewhere... MAYBE. But other than that, just gimme my DB stuff I've always known.

Then I changed from MSTS to TS2014 back then, which came with a collection of, among others, British routes. And the tutorial at first startup put me in a class 365 in Peterborough, and what shall I say... it was the start of a whole new interest. A whole new world of designs and lines and what not. Since then I always say a bit sarcasticly, "Trains from other countries? Eewww! I'd have to expand my horizon! I might discover something new! I might even like it! Nope... not gonna happen, buddy!" :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I would definitely want an electric one in the south but if it had to be british rail. I would want the Hastings DEMU on the Hastings line (Tonbridge to Hastings via Battle).

29. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I think completely the same. WSR for example. At the beginn I thought 25 Mph and heritage only and no freight. So my conclusion was not to buy. But after I bought it later, I recognized the nice landscape and the beautiful insight of the passenger cars, the beautiful Class 47 and 09.

Other example the safety systems. They working completely different. The most advanced is the American Aces. If you reduce the speed not early enough the system will break your loco down. The german SIFA wants a reaction from you each 30 seconds. The german PZB needs your reaction after the presignals. The british systems working simular like the SIFA.

So if you are interested of the railways of different countries you can have so much variety and so much fun.

30. thearkerportian

PZB will also go into penalty brake if you don't follow orders quickly enough :)

31. Merseydmu

Merseydmu Member

Would like to see either Liverpool to Manchester or the Merseyrail Northern line from Hunts Cross to Southport.

32. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

London to Brighton or the southeastern line would be amazeballs

• Like Like x 4
  33. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

If you were to release an editor for a simulator thats intended to take the franchise forward for the next generation. Would you release it for a game engine with limited sound channels? There are all kinds of reasons for the delay.

34. ARuscoe

Every game on that game engine has 32 channels and most manage perfectly fine. I doubt this is a major limitation for the editor

• Like Like x 1
  35. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

1st person shooters usually. Or free roam games. Not trains with countless engine, bogie, noises to add to the environment sounds. Thats why there are sound "bugs". No channels left at times. An Armstrong powerhouse pack for example would be pretty limited working with 32 instead of the 256 on TSxx.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  36. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

So, any rumours about he next UK route? How well informed is Alan Thomson? I mentioned in one of his live streams a week or so ago that I’d like to see a modern electric route as the next UK dlc and he said if what he’s been told is true, I’d be presently surprised.

Whether he actually has been told anything is anyone’s guess..

37. ARuscoe

Indeed, and I know the limitations. I'm still pretty sure that an engine limitation isn't what's stopping the editor, especially as DTG can literally hand that one over as "not their fault".
    It does raise the issue of how complex it will be to port over to a newer version of UE (very would be my theory)

38. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt pin him down to a response in a stream where hes having multiple conversations. Think its fair to say that we'd all be pleasantly suprised if the next UK route was modern. We know from official sources that private rail companies are generally too busy running trains and avoiding fines to worry about Train Sim World access requests. Not to say they havent got something up their sleeve.

39. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Its that complexity, that makes me wonder if thats the reason an editor premiere almost a year ago, hasnt led to a release or announcement. DTG could just say its not their fault, but that wont convince TSxx players to try TSW.

40. ARuscoe

It's not as if the old editor wasn't complex, and I did suggest after the initial video that it might be possible to release "split editor components" so that people who wanted to create scenarios can do that, people who want to make or reskin locos can do that... That got knocked back by MrP himself...

Personally I think that the ability to "officially reskin" existing locos would add some diversity quite quickly and of course diversity in driving instruction is always more welcome than "green lights to infinity"

• Like Like x 1
  41. thearkerportian

We'd have 20 different BR185s as well as Class 66s within a month probably :)

42. ARuscoe

I'm sure all the variants would out but people seem to want random 3rd party skins all over their installs (if TSx is anything to go by). If the 66 GBRf multipack is replicated on TSW that would be something though

• Like Like x 1
  43. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Is this a clue?
    Screenshot_20191123-170011.png

44. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

45. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I'd be up for some MGR action.

46. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

ECML north HAAs and 56?

47. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

What era could this span?

48. thearkerportian

That hopper wagon looks similar to the ones on TVL.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

It's different and DTG would know that.

• Like Like x 2
  50. ARuscoe

It's probably the bus as a road asset

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1