A Question About Route Extensions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thearkerportian, Nov 30, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Moin,

so, extending routes per se, in the style of the North Wales extension to Holyhead, does not work with the way TSW is designed. I understood that.

However, does this also exclude the second way to get extra-long routes we know from old TS, the Goblin model as I call it? Taking the old, uncooked, unpackaged, un-whatever-finalized route, laying more tracks, and selling that as an independent DLC of its own that does not require the old version to run. Maybe grant owners of the old version a discount, but that's about it.

It has been done this way with the North London/Goblin line, North Jersy Coast and Morristown, South Wales Coastal, Portsmouth Direct Line... though the latter was a lot more than just an extension of course. It was pure gold!

Would that be possible for TSW routes as well?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

No, I believe not. If you had the UE4 editor, DTG files and all the unbaked assets, plus added your own to complete a route (to Windsor for example), it would still require you to download the whole thing again, once baked and finished. And that isn't a hurdle in my eyes...just wish they'd do it instead of a 30 mile "nothing" route

• Like Like x 1
  3. thearkerportian

Well my idea was Dovetail doing this. They will have the unbaked base files.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

One would hope DTG can extend their OWN routes, I believe end users cannot amend DTG's routes but may be able to extend when/if the editor finally sees the light of day?

However, it does beg the question, why on earth was the previous German route not an extension to a route that already existed?

I've mentioned a in a post a long while back, I would love to see NTP extended in both directions to York/Newcastle and Liverpool with the inclusions of Deltics, MK2e's and HST's

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  5. thearkerportian

The way understood it, before these routes get published, they are closed, finalized. What goes on the store is set in stone. A bit like exporting a Word document into a PDF. You can't edit that. But DTG would still have the original Word file, which they can expand by another chapter, and make an all new pdf.

The editor also won't allow modification of existing DTG routes.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I suggested this as a solution to extending the GWE and keeping it fresh. Would make sense to have more use out of that route build, instead of waiting for a 3rd party to get in there 1st.
    Out of curiosity, Im wondering..
    Something that most if us have in common is the need for authenticity, in graphics,sound,ai variety, services jobs that tsw has given us and evidently, length of a route.
    I have all the UK dlc and enjoy driving them, but what if..
    2018 GWE was released hst, 66, containers, hoppers and 166.
    2018 WSR released with 47,09,and Mk1s.
    2018 WSR release class 33.
    2018 Not NTP(which I do love btw) but GWE set a few months later. Route extensions to Greenford and Didcot, OHLE throughout. Plus introduction of Electrostar and JNA wagons. £24.99
    2019 WSR release 52, and sub feature.
    2019 not TVL (Also have and enjoy) but GWE Extension Reading to Westbury. Introduction of class 800 and 801. Plus class 60? If possible, with auto ballast wagons.£ 24.99. Introduction of sub feature adding railtour scenarios from wsr to the route.
    Yes this omits dlcs that are popular with myself included, but If we got our bustling, long mainline/network with the jobs and services, full 166 runs to Greenford, didcot, aggregate or ballast services from Westbury to Acton or Hayes unloading facility. The modern traction in 800s and 377s. Im not saying extend GWE to Plymouth or even Bristol necessarily. After 100 miles or so, move on and use a dlc cycle for a steam route if the technology is there. I think this strategy would be just as popular and would generate much more hype for future plans amongst all the Tsxx TSW community than a selection of shorter routes in isolation of each other. DTG could even announce the plan if it involved multiple steps to complete. We dont need suprises.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  7. palme111100

palme111100 Active Member

What I thought they could do is taking the old route, extending it, sell the extended version seperately and then sell a bundle with three routes: the old route, the new route, the old route extended and the extended old route is only available in this bundle. Also this bundle has the "complete my bundle" feature, so if you own the two route, you get the extended old route for free.
    Would this also be an option?

8. thearkerportian

Not sure if I got that right, but then you'd have once the old route, and the extended route twice? Or what's the difference between new and old extended?

9. palme111100

palme111100 Active Member

Sorry that I stated that unclear. What I've meant was, you'd have the old route for example RSN, then you have the new route, RRO and finally you'd have RSN extened with RRO, so Finnentrop - Hagen - Wuppertal, which I meant with "the old route extended".;)