Tsw: The Coastway Is Coming!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Dec 5, 2019.

1. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Yes I’ll be staying up till midnight Thursday morning hoping it’s there then

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Here’s my take on the GWE 66:

The GWE 66 model wise is nice, as well as having nice visuals and of course accurate engine physics, but I will post my dislikes/cons below.

By far the worst thing about it are the sounds.

Let me explain below:

It has awful sounds - nowhere near loud enough for a start. It is also missing the roar from the fans, when it is pushed hard. Also it being configured when TSW was fairly ‘new’, the sounds are very ‘staged/in steps’ and there is no smooth transition from one notch to another. Sounds are very repetitive and quite obviously looped. There’s very few variations or differences in sound depending on how you drive it. Though this is applicable to all DLC in GWE.

Another thing is the smoke particle effects.

Granted they are a lot better in newer DLC’s but the 66, HST and 166 reminded me of something out of MSTS. It’s like they almost had an identity crisis and wanted to be a steam engine. Not to mention the smoke ‘following’ the train with a thick line of smoke trailing behind.

I’m quite cautious of why users of the GWE 66 will only receive ‘some’ updates, and not the full blown package for it? Also will we only receive the update if we purchase this new route, or will it be available for all that already have the 66?

It makes no sense to have two different versions of the 66 - a superior and inferior version.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

We aren’t paying for bug fixes.

5. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I think the horn is poor, as it is in general across gwe. Some others come to mind such as the 52.
    I also have an issue with the clag physics. Plumes shooting straight up and slightly behind as a you said steam engine like.
    Im happy to buy the route with the 2nd loco being the 66, based on increased functionality, the Newhaven aggregate turnaround , and the prospect of running those JNA wagons over to Brighton and resuming at Acton on GWE, I think it will.

• Like Like x 3
  6. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

The changelog will tell.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

Brighton to Lewes all stations 14 minutes

• Like Like x 3
  8. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

We do have a case like that with the EMD GP 38-2. Two versions, CSX and UP. The latter one has certain minor improvements based on info from the release stream. I think it was Matt talking about it and also mentioning that they will try to avoid making that mistake again with same units. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Hey TrainSim-James,

I don't know if it's just for me or not but for this news article within TSW itself just the picture of Moulsecomb is discoloured (all the other pictures are normal):

[​IMG]

On the website you linked the colours are fine:

[​IMG]

Colour blind people probably can't tell the difference and obviously, it's not a huge drama, but I thought I'd let you know.

• Like Like x 2
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Who are these people who are complaining about paying for the same things twice, I have only seen a couple of people on here complaining? You quote "people" as though you are speaking for all of us.

I don't break down down the route and stock and work out how much each item is costing, that is for the nit pickers who want to have something to complain about.

Surely value for money is more about how much use and enjoyment you will get out of the route, not merely the contents?

For me £25 is value for money compared to the amount of use I will get out of it, you could spend more than that on a Friday night out!

• Like Like x 8
  11. theorganist

You are paying for a route with one brand new train, you are getting another train which has appeared in another route which has had some improvements. To try and turn that into some kind of negative is really scraping the barrel.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

People is the plural of person. As you note, you've seen a couple of people complaining, thus the pural form of person, people, is used when refering to them. I didn't say everyone, everybody or all, I just said people. Do you assume that when someone says 'people' they are refering to every single person in the World, or just to the people to which the statement is applicable? If someone says 'people voted for Donald Trump' I don't conclude everyone voted for Donald Trump, I take it mean that more than one person did. But maybe my grasp of English is lacking.

• Like Like x 4
  13. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

This route is letting me use the 66 somewhere other than GWE which I have been wanting since as far back as I can remember. So based on that I’m quite happy

• Like Like x 5
  14. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I think by making that picture they choose special weather conditions. You can see it on the sky. So it caused special reflections that caused the color changes. I think we get more realism with such things. I'm excited about that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. theorganist

By using such a loose term as "people" you are leaving it open to interpretation that it is many people.

If you want to get into semantics then:

"People are bothered about paying for it again" sounds a lot different to "a few people I know are bothered about paying for it again" it makes it sounds like there is a large swathe of users are fed up with paying for the same item again, which I don't think we are as it just part of a larger package. The argument about paying for it again is just being pedantic!

Anyway I am fed up of petty arguing, I am here to enjoy the sim and enjoy chatting about it!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  16. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

The article describes 10 stations between Eastbourne and Brighton.

There will be the branch to Seaford with additional 6 stations too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sophieclarke1983

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  19. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

That's what I thought initially, until I compared it to exactly the same picture on the website which isn't discoloured.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Digital Draftsman

The GWE Class 66 has a top speed of 200mph, the air flow gauge doesn't work properly and the brakes on the wagons charge much too quickly, so you can't drive it in a realistic manner. If they haven't fixed the air flow gauge especially I will be very disappointed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. thearkerportian

If the only way to receive the upgrades is buying the same product yet again, perhaps even bundled with another one you have no use for (remember not everyone cares about passenger trains) then by all definitions, that is something VERY negative in my book. Any other business, it's the manufacturer's responisbility to make sure their stuff works when the customer gets it, and if it doesn't, to see they get one that works as intended.

DTG however is more like, "The light in your fridge doesn't work right? Well you can buy a complete brand new kitchen, that comes with an illuminated fridge. Other than that, nothing we can do for you." Sounds like a company you'd recommend, doesn't it?

All of this of course assuming, the bugs with GWE's CL66 do not get fixed without buying the Coastway. Hence "the changelog will tell."

• Like Like x 2
  22. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I agree, when I apply a bit the brake it slows down like I’m driving the loc only or I applied the emergency brake

• Like Like x 1
  23. sophieclarke1983

On the subject of east coastway I wonder if in this simulation we will get accurate levels crossings where the barriers actually raise and lower rather than stay down all the time as they do in west Somerset railway simulation

• Like Like x 1
  24. thearkerportian

It would be the first route to have this feature as far as I'm aware. I've seen some statements saying that the Peninsula had it, but for what I've seen the barriers are down all day everyday. Kind of odd actually - in TS20xx, considering you only ever see the crossings when a train - your train - is near, they probably could have gotten away with making them static. As long as there is no station right after the crossing you'd never see it open or close anyway.

TSW meanwhile, where a core feature is the ability to walk around on foot... nope, negligable detail.

25. Digital Draftsman

CSX Heavy Haul has working barriers. For some reason, probably optimisation, they removed them from the following DLC.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Anthony Pecoraro

You don’t have to pay for the upgrades. Most of those upgrades are going to be applied to the GWE version too.

• Like Like x 4
  27. thearkerportian

"Most." Yes. That's exactly my point. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  28. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Just to be clear on the updates to the 66:

We made quite a lot of changes and tweaks on the 66 coming in ECW, it's set up as a third loco (though is the same model fundamentally, to be clear). Therefore, those improvements are by default only on that model - so I just wanted to start out by separating the two, though they look the same externally they are different setups internally.

In addition to setting those up on the ECW variant, the team were able to get some changes back ported to the GWE variant but not all for various reasons. I'd like to try and get the rest across at some point and we have a worklog created to record the changes that need to be done ready for that, but I don't want to commit to a time to when that will happen and then create disappointment.

If you do NOT buy ECW, you WILL get whatever changes we've made to the GWE variant. Whether you buy ECW or not, the GWE variant will not be any different after it receives its update. That sounds confusing, so, another way of saying it - it IS getting an update, it DOESNT matter if you buy ECW, but it does NOT end up quite at the same level as the ECW one yet, buying ECW will NOT change that- but you will of course get the ECW variant.

On the ECW one (I can't remember exactly what was changed on the GWE one) - things like the airflow meter, the brake setup etc have been improved, the EM2000 has a new font/color display and some more functionality like brake timing setup and brake cut-out for top-and-tail running and so forth.

• Helpful Helpful x 9
    • Like Like x 6
  29. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Digital Draftsman
    I noticed that straight after the HST, 66 physics update last year. I thought the top speed thing had been fixed?
    Im not trivialising spending money. I see the class 66 improvement as a v2 rather than a pay to fix. Especially if the Newhaven run is connected to a soon to be released westbound GWE service in some way.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Top and tail running. Suppose we’ll have to wait until Wednesday for details on that.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  31. thearkerportian

Nice, some clarity at last! Would it be possible to have the ECW 66 substitute into the GWE automatically in case it is installed? Although, that would raise the question of what to do with the DB Schenker livery, as I didn't hear anything about ECW bringing its own version of that?

32. DTG Matt

One of the included scenarios you need to run a train which is top-and-tailed with a pair of 66's and involves needing to properly change ends, and thus the cut-out is required to be used or you don't have control of the brakes correctly.

It won't happen automatically but nothing stopping you picking it I think? I must admit it's not something i've tried myself, i've been focused on testing ECW lately. As an AI train it largely doesn't matter, the changes are more player-train focused.

It doesn't, just EWS version. The DBS livery is upgraded to match the EWS one at the level of the GWE upgrades, but as I said above, that isn't the same as the ECW variant.

Matt.

• Like Like x 6
  33. Digital Draftsman

Is it not possible to just swap out the GWE Class 66 with the SCW one? It would still be two separate locomotives in the menu to avoid redoing scenarios etc, but at least it would get the full upgrade. Also, will the JNA feature on GWE, as the real JNAs run from Acton to Reading, so it's ideal for extra services.

• Like Like x 1
  34. DTG Matt

Not really, because the tutorials would need to be reworked to adjust to controller changes in the newer version, not a huge amount of work but just more work to be done. Most of the challenge with upgrading the old locos is purely down to testing tbh rather than doing the work itself but then that's so often the case, there's no such thing as a 5 minute change.

If you mean can you just sub it in for services yes you should be able to do that.

Not yet, there's no update to the GWE timetable in this build, but it's a good shout to add to the GWE timetable update I'm already working on.

Matt.

• Like Like x 10
  35. thearkerportian

Wait, that sounds like there was an update for GWE timetables in the making anyway? Sounds great! Are you planning to include some 6-car class 166 services?

36. DTG Matt

It's a personal project i'm doing in my spare time, so I don't know when or even if it'll make it out but it's making good progress at any rate.

6 Car 166 services - given we have already used every unique numbered 166 that exists, without adding 165's (no, they are a as good as making a completely new train, not a reskin :) ) there's no way to make up 166 6 car services without *removing* services from the game essentially which i'm loathed to do.

I did suggest a fake 165 made up of a 2 car 166 numbered as a 165 essentially to a small group of people in order to rectify this and I received a thorough beating :)

• Like Like x 9
  37. Digital Draftsman

I don't suppose the destination displays are being added to the Class 166s on GWE? Seems like older DLC is getting left behind.

• Like Like x 6
  38. thearkerportian

OK. Though I've seen the same Caltrain engine twice next to each other at SF station a couple of times. Not too bad for me personally, a case for Brunel's beard, not a support ticket. :)

• Like Like x 1
  39. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

We can see clearly here that Matt wants it to be the simulator we all want but hidden within Matt’s highly informative discussions is that there’s more to it all than enthusiasm.

Not sure if anyone else picked up on this but it seems there’s a group who insist on holding back, and a group who want it to be the best experience. Just my observation, there’s always those that are overly critical. In every situation

• Like Like x 3
  40. thearkerportian

Yes. Not sure if I stated it before, but with all the gripes I have with TSW and DTG, the creative parts of the company are in no way responsible for that. The coders, scripters, modelmakers, tracklayers, and what they all are - if anyone in the company is doing a fabulous job, it is these folks. Short routes, editor, the same old yada-yada, I'll keep complaining about that as long as it is necessary, but then, what does end up getting built tends to be top notch.

• Like Like x 4
  41. Digital Draftsman

It's run by venture capitalists, that's the issue. Things were alright when it was run by the original consortium of developers who got together to purchase Rail Simulator. Now the purse strings are predominantly held by people who are clueless when it comes to the simulation market. It's also exacerbated by DTG dominating the market, so they don't need to be competitive.

• Like Like x 4
  42. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Couldn’t of put it better myself, it’s always wise from a business sense to be on top of your game not sitting comfortably, as that’s where it starts to show, after all we are paying for what we had assumed was the next generation in this genre for Train Simulation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. DTG Matt

All of the team are fully behind what we're making and very proud of the content that's coming out.

On that note, given we've moved to conspiracy theory, i'll duck out.

• Like Like x 14
  44. Anthony Pecoraro

Oh good grief.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. theorganist

Probably best not to believe eveything you read!

We seem to have had two years of conspiracy theories.

• Like Like x 4
  46. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Politics and train sims don't mix well....

Having said that, I remember a dlc on rail simulator called 'trains v zombies' which was actually pretty decent....

47. Digital Draftsman

It's hardly a conspiracy theory, just look at some of the folks running the company and then look at their professional experience on LinkedIn. They're capable people, but for many of them their experience isn't in simulation games.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 13
  49. thearkerportian

Those birds tho! Another suggestion I made a while back to be ticked! Those are coming in in fairly rapid succession recently! :)

Also, while the skybox looks unaltered and straight from the game, also lensflare and godrays - which we only saw on screenshots that were clearly edited to hell and back before. Does that mean these are legit?

50. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

lol never assume I did believe, i can’t wait for this route to surface......

• Like Like x 1