Gp38-2 Wont Start Up After Shutdown

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by kaikizuka, Dec 5, 2019.

1. kaikizuka

kaikizuka New Member

Hey all together, new Train Simer since yesterday and im already struggling :D

First of all, its a super great game, i love the scenery and realism. very relaxing.

So i did a big nono after playing this scenario mision from i thing cumberland to sand pach with this 50+ container cargo. took around 2.5 h. I arrived and Sand Pach and decuppled the rear loco and i was commandet o park it on a side track. so i did and shut it down with the hotkey combination (cause i really have no idea how to otherwise except emergancy switch behind top the seat. then i saw i hat to drive it just 1 mile more to the finish destination and my head was like... well damn i shut it down, now i restart it again. just that this never happened. a 2.5 more hours informatoin gathering spree started, youtube, manual, and and and all i could get my hands on. Loco wouldnt even make the Prime sound when turning the lever left in the engine room.

so TLDR. I pressed Shift+Y (shortcut for shutdown) on my running loco since i thought i was finished and i wasnt ao i turned back and wanted to restart it. nothing worked for me. no manual, no tutorial, no video, no PCS resetting did it either. because the PCS light was coming on. tried 2.5 h in the middle of night to get this damn thing started for this 30 second journey to finish this 2.5h long drive and it never happened now i have to replay.

Just some last information: When i stopped the engine some blowers seems to be still on so loc wasnt 100% silent, i think air was still in the pipes but dont quote me on that. but the weirdest thing was no matter what i did i couldnt Prime the engine. no sound for priming and not even an attempt to start up the engine.

So if anyone can provide me with any help i would love to hear since i reproduced this again today on purpose and couldn start it either.... also how to shut down the train correctly with buttons (no shortcuts) i cant seem to find any ENGINE OFF switchwhatsoever.

Thank you guys. :D

2. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the meanders of TSW ;)

3. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi kaikizuka,

Welcome to the forums. Sorry you weren't able to find a manual for this, I will have a quiet word and get one uploaded. While you're waiting, try these instructions:
    1. Set the Handbrake, you’ll find the handbrake wheel or lever at the short hood end of the locomotive.
    2. Enter the cab and open the fuse box
    3. Check that the main breaker and all fuses are switched to the on position and close the fuse box door.
    4. Above the fuse box, set the Isolation Switch to the Start Stop Isolate position
    5. Turn on the Engine Room Light, Platform Lights and Cab Light if required
    6. Ensure the Reverser and Throttle are at neutral positions
    7. Proceed to the long hood end of the locomotive and open the Latch (upper right of the engine room door) and then open the Engine Room Doors
    8. Move and hold the Prime/Start Switch to the LEFT (Prime) for 5 seconds and then let go of it
    9. Move the Prime/Start Switch to the RIGHT (Start) momentarily to trigger the engine start
    10. Await the engine start to complete
    11. Close the Engine Room Doors (note they must be closed in the right order!)
    12. Return to the cab and set the Start/Run Switch to the Run position
    13. Turn off the Engine Room Lights if you turned it on
    14. Turn on the Number Lights as appropriate
    15. Sit in the engineer’s seat
    16. At the top right of the main control stand (your left), you will see three switches labelled Engine Run, Generator Field and Control & Fuel Pump, set all three switches to the on position (or upward)
    17. Turn on the Ditch Lights, Gauge Lights and set Headlights to bright
    18. Check the brake stand and ensure the Cut-Off Valve is set to Freight
    19. Check the MU-2A Valve and ensure it is set to Lead or Dead
    A cold and dark locomotive starts with no air in the brake pipe, so this must now be pressurised.
    1. Leaving the Reverser in neutral, move the Throttle to Notch 1. You will hear the engine rev up and on the left-hand gauge of the two brake gauges, you should see the red needle (denoting the Main Reservoir pressure) rising, and on the right-hand gauge, the red needle (denoting the Brake Cylinder pressure) also rising as the air is immediately fed into the locomotive’s brake system. Wait for the Main Reservoir to reach 140psi.
    2. Check that the Independent Brake is set to its maximum setting (Full Application).
    3. Release the Automatic Brake, you should now see the white needle in the left-hand gauge (denoting the Equalising Reservoir pressure) rise, and the white needle in the right-hand gauge (denoting the Brake Pipe pressure) rise behind it. Once both of these needles reach 90psi, the air brake system is ready for service.
    4. Move the Throttle back to Notch 0.
    5. Step out to the front of the locomotive and release the Handbrake.
    The locomotive is now ready for operation by setting the Reverser to your intended direction of travel. All you need to do now is release the Independent Brake and apply throttle as required.

Hope this helps but please shout if you need any further guidance.

Best, Steve

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  4. kaikizuka

kaikizuka New Member

Hello all, thanks for the warm welcome.

TrainSim-Steve
    I think thats the standard procedure from the manual which i tried at least 5 times. i am currently not at home but i will try again later that day. For me the priming didnt even make a sound so i got stuck allready on step 8.

This was rebroducable when stepping in a drive ready loco and just pressing the shortcut to shutdown (Shift Y on my keyboard german keyboard)

Also Where do i manually (withouth keyboard) shut down the drain. above the fusebox is the switch to set on start prime (i think its called smth like isolation switch) but yea. the 3 buttons on the command seat in fron of you dont shut down the loc. so i dont know where to do it (shut down and restart afterwards)

TLDR: after stepping into a running loco and pressing Shift+Y to shutdown my loco i cant seem to get it running again.
    when stepping into the engine room like described on step 7 user manual i turn the prime switch to the left like supposed to for 5+ seconds nd there is no pumping/priming sound to hear.. No engine sound, no prime sound, but general air venting and occasional clicking sounds are heared from the loco.

Ill try again today at home . maybe we can find a way for silly me to understand ^^

5. kaikizuka

kaikizuka New Member

okay no i cant get this thing to start again.

try it yourself. Im in the CSX Heavy Haul: Fully Fuelled (time estimater 120 mins) scenario. instalnty step into driving seat, press Shift+Y to shut down the train and there is no way for me to get it back on again. pls confirm what i do wrong. and please tell me where the physical ingame button is to shut down the train because isolationswitch to stop doesnt shut it down and nothing else i know of does. i feel really stupid at this point. So sorry and thank you.

6. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi kaikizuka,

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble - don't be too concerned about asking questions, this is the perfect place for it! :)

Have just tried the auto-shutdown and followed the instructions above and was able to get the loco started and moved away.

This is what I did step-by-step:
    1. Loaded into the loco in timetable mode. Used Shift+Z (Shift+Y for you) to use the auto-shutdown.
    2. Got out of the driving seat and went to the conductor's side of the cab, opened the forward door and clicked on the lower hood to engage the handbrake.
    3. Turned around and looked at the panel on the upper-left of the back wall (Behind the driver's seat) and looked at the rotary switch on the lower-right called 'Isolation Switch'. Rotated it clockwise to the Start/Stop/Isolate position.
    4. Opened the door immediately behind the driver's seat to go onto the catwalk to the engine bay. Clicked on the latches and opened both doors.
    5. Turned the Prime/Start switch to the left and held it there for a count of 5 seconds. Could hear the prime sound.
    6. Let go of the switch so that it returned to its centre position and then clicked the switch again but this time moving it to the right. The loco started immediately.
    7. Returned to the cab, and moved the Isolation Switch to the Run position, then disengaged the handbrake.
    8. Closed all doors and sat down in the driver's seat.
    9. Moved the three switches on the control stand to on.
    10. Moved the reverser to forward
    11. Moved the throttle up and the loco moved forward.
    For in-game manual shutdown, the easiest way is to pull the main breaker - open the fuse box, it's the big one in the lower left with + - on it.

Hope this helps.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
  7. kaikizuka

kaikizuka New Member

Dear Steve, i will try that soon when i got th time. maybe its only in that scenario where i couldnt get it back on. ill try in the timetable as well :3 thank you for the reply.

8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Thread necromancy, I know- but.

I can't seem to get it* to start up. I prime for five seconds, then move it to Start and get... nothing. If I set the governor to Crank and then attempt a startup, the engine tries to turn over but quickly dies. (Yes, I've followed all the steps listed by Steve above).

Is there some magic word I'm not saying? Help!

*By "it" I mean the GP38-2 parked by the Cumberland turntable in free roam

9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Did you take over the service 1st by sitting in the engineers seat? I had the same issue with the SD40-2, but after I sat in the chair, accepted the service, and got back to crank it, it started up.

10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Tried it and..... as soon as I sat in the chair, the thing auto-started all by itself!