Start Up Locomotive Procedures

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MarcArtigues, Dec 9, 2019.

1. MarcArtigues

MarcArtigues New Member

Hi!

I want to report some “strange” start up procedures with the locomotives. I’m a Train Driver in real life, and it’s so unreal the startup procedure.

Normally, in game, when you activate the driving cab moving the reverser to the Disconect or Off position to Neutral or Cab Position, in this moment, the brake system starts to charge.

IT’S IMPOSSIBLE!!

For example: If you have the MR ( Main Reservoir ) at 0 bar, and the pantograph it’s not raised up and obviously, the compressor is not working, you can’t raise the pressure up to 9-10 bar.

More or less, in Europe ( I’m from Spain ) the pressures of brake systems are the following:

• Main Reservoir: 0 to 10 bar aprox. It’s used to create the Brake Pipe Pressure. Trains normally have a pressure control system that, if the MR pressure drops below to 7,5 / 7 bar ( depend on the train ) the train apply Emergency Brake and it’s impossible to release until pressure rise up again at 7 or 7,5 bar. It’s called Minimum Pressure Security Relay ( You are able to Bypass it )

• Brake Pipe: 0 to 5 bar. This pressure goes along the train and this used to brake the train. When you have enough pressure in Main Reservoir, now you can create the pressure that is used to brake the train with the distributors.

• Cylinder Pressure: 0 to 3,5 bar aprox. The pressure that is applied in the brake cylinders.

With battery switch, you can only operate the Auxiliary Compressor that is used only to raise up the pantograph.

A good start up procedure would be:

• Put in the ON position the Battery Switch.
    • Check the Battery Voltmeter.
    • Check if you have enough pressure to raise up the pantograph with the Auxiliary Reservoir.

• If you have:
    • Activate the Driving Cab.
    • Select the Pantograph [ 1, 2 or 1 + 2 ]
    • When the pantograph is raised, check the Line Voltmeter.
    • Close the Main Circuit Breaker.
    • With the Main Circuit Breaker closed, and the locomotive working, turn on the compressor to raise up the Main Reservoir up to at least 7 / 7,5 bar, at that moment you will be able to raise the Brake Pipe up to 5 bar and release the brakes and start to move the train.

If you don’t have:
    • Activate the Driving Cab.
    • With the battery, turn on the Auxiliry Compressor, normally works with medium voltage.
    • Wait to have sufficient pressure.
    • Select the Pantograph [ 1, 2 or 1 + 2 ]
    • When the pantograph is raised, check the Line Voltmeter.
    • Close the Main Circuit Breaker.
    • With the Main Circuit Breaker closed, and the locomotive working, turn on the compressor to raise up the Main Reservoir up to at least 7 / 7,5 bar, at that moment you will be able to raise the
    Brake Pipe up to 5 bar and release the brakes and start to move the train.

The example is for an Electric Locomotive. With Diesel is more or less the same, start up diesel engine to move the crankshaft or the alternator, to turn on the compressor, and wait until you have pressure in Main Reservoir to fill in to Brake Pipe.

And, well, last thing, when I change the Driving Cab, 1 to 2, for example, if I have the Locomotive Brake applied with the handle, and I go to the other cab, it’s impossible to release the loco brake if in the non-driving cab it’s “applied”.
    It’s other thing that you could patch. The only active handle it’s in the Active Cab, it doesen’t matter the position of the handle on the other cab.

Thanks for reading, and sorry if my English is not perfect!
    Best Regards,
    Marc.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
  2. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Hi Marc.
    Firstly your English is excellent, fully understandable. And secondly a very interesting post from a drivers perspective.

As for the start up procedures... I seem to remember reading or hearing, not sure which or where, that the loco start up's are deliberately muddied and abbreviated as a security feature - the train operators didn't want people being able to jump in a real train and drive off. So maybe DTG are deliberately leaving out certain actions.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Marc,
    Historically, train sims aren't accurate in start-up procedures or functionality of buttons / positions of levers and CBs etc.
    This makes it difficult for a simmer to jump onto a real loco and move it from cold.

4. Marc Artigues

Marc Artigues Member

Yes, but I think that is not complicated, only change the order of procedure. First turn on the locomotive, then charge the brakes, that’s all.