Could Bnsf Content Be Brought Back To Train Sim?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by C 70015, May 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. C 70015

C 70015 Member

Could it be possible to bring back the BNSF content worldwide *WITHOUT* the BNSF branding as the Aurora racetrack route has done so aswell as the Raton Pass. [​IMG] ( this picture is *NOT* mine)
    I love the dash 9s and I've longed to drive them (BNSF ones in particular) Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I would love to see the BNSF content added but the big problem is there a lot of stuff that someone would have to go through and unbrand all the BNSF logos. It was stated that it would not happen.

• Like Like x 2
  3. C 70015

C 70015 Member

Oh ok :(

4. C 70015

C 70015 Member

But could they remake the loco packs such as the ES44DCs, Dash 9s, SD40s (though I'm not a big fan of the SD40s) WITHOUT the branding ?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

DTG stated at some point that they won't do any unbranded locomotives. It's weird that BNSF locomotives in the US loco & asset pack are still available.

• Like Like x 3
  6. C 70015

C 70015 Member

Yeah I thought that myself, why is it still there ? Probably because a lot of routes require it. As for the unbranded locos, I'm willing to have at least the colours of the livery & that's it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

ya Canadian mountain pass uses US loco & asset pack and there bnsf es44ac and sd40s but no lights well on bnsf sd40 there no lights but on es44ac there is.

• Like Like x 2
  8. C 70015

C 70015 Member

I have the US loco & asset pack, my point was we need other BNSF locos such as ES44DCs & Dash 9s. For me, the colours is enough

• Like Like x 1
  9. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I definitely want BNSF. I think TS2019 needs a BNSF Tier IV ET44C4, an improved SD75, a BNSF SD60MAC, and maybe a GP60 (include the M/B versions as well as a Spartan-Cab ATSF Patch version.

• Like Like x 1
  10. C 70015

C 70015 Member

Yep! You've caught it spot on

11. 45596 Bahamas

45596 Bahamas Active Member

Haha! C 70015! I never thought I’d find you here! lol

12. treid09

treid09 Guest

BNSF does not want to license their logos out to Dovetail anymore because they would have to give their license in each country that they would be sold in and collect royalties from those sales. Therefore, we most likely won't see more Dovetail BNSF content. BNSF only allows content with their logo and their predecessor railway's logos (such as Burlington Northern and Santa Fe content) to be sold in the USA. God bless.

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Racetrack route came with locos in BNSF Colours without branding because it was not made by DTG but by Chicago & Southwest Productions as such they can release their content without branding and logos
    DTG won't release any DLC unless they know they can put the correct colours and branding on the trains.

Peter

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

15. coolkidgamer500

coolkidgamer500 Member

i feel bad for the other people that cant have bnsf and are they at least going to give people in the USA more bnsf's

16. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

But the Hi Line Subdivision will be available worldwide once it drops, so at least they'll have a mainline BNSF route with an unbranded ES44 as well, would be nice if they could also get Marias Pass and Stevens Pass as well, but at least the Hi Line is hopefully a start.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Newbury

You are also forgetting about Raton Pass which was also released with unbranded Santa Fe loco's. But it would nice if they unbrand Marias and Stevens Pass.

18. slenderman7676RBLX

slenderman7676RBLX Member

I wonder if at some point in the future BNSF goes into bankruptcy and ceases to exist as a company then DTG may be able to bring back BNSF branded content and routes?

19. Michael Newbury

That would be a nice thought but highly unlikely that BNSF would go bankrupt, other factors would be who would buy them out if that were the case. And could BNSF put conditions in that would still restrict the licensing of the logo.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  20. slenderman7676RBLX

slenderman7676RBLX Member

And about the licensing restrictions of their predecessors logos (ATSF, BN etc) they should technically be free to use (I think) according to this quote from https://www.quora.com/Trademark-Law...heir-logo-image-in-nostalgia-products-legally
    "In general, if a company goes out of business and abandons its trademarks or logos, then under the trademark law of the United States, anyone is free to resurrect such marks/logos and start using them in commerce. Such marks / logos are sometimes called “graveyard trademarks.”" I think since BNSF do not actively use the BN or ATSF branding or reporting marks on their stock specifically like Their ex ATSF warbonnets had the ATSF replaced with BNSF lettering.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I think BNSF still technically uses the predecessor names, as old rolling stock are still numbered to the predecessor railroad. Also at one point BNSF used the Great Northern name to roster old locomotives. Though I think that question would be best asked to someone in the Railroad industry, or who knows about the licensing with fallen flags.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

BNSF still own and maintain some of the trademarks, but it's kind of hit and miss - the Patent and Trademark Office lookup shows that they still maintain "Great Northern Railway" but not "Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe" - this was apparently abandoned in 2007. In all likelihood, DTG just don't want to go through the legal trouble of having to deal with BNSF if they do decide to stake a claim to the trademark.
    http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:mu7jww.3.1
    http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4807:x019h6.9.1
    In the meantime, if you want to get Stevens Pass at least it lives on for worldwide consumers in the G-TraX "GN Cascadian" package which sets the route between 1929-1955 when the Wenatchee-Skykomish portion was electrified. Well worth a look if you don't already have it: http://railworksamerica.com/index.p...imulations/item/316-g-trax-gn-cascadian-route

23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have a look here for BNSF content
    http://eyein12.blogspot.com/
    He cannot sell BNSF liveried locos to people outside the US but he does sell locos without a logo and a Patch is Free to apply the logo.
    The same way the Chicago Racetrack was released and a free logo patch was provided

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  24. Mack Winston

Mack Winston Active Member

...although in the just officially-released-on-Steam Welsh Marches line they have allowed a "Bossman Games" liveried class 47 locomotive, which is definitely not a real world livery!

• Like Like x 1
  25. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That is because DTG did not release this route - Bossman Games did.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mack Winston

DTG are the publisher though, not Bossman.

27. zsmonostori80

zsmonostori80 New Member

While I understand that this hysteria is all about copyright but I find it pretty pathetic (as far as BNSF is concerned) that they don't allow their (ugly) logo to be shown outside of the US. Well, their problem. First, they (BNSF) should know users wishing to simulate stuff will still get around this, so what is the point? Second, why is an "empty" orange train any better, when we all know that it is supposed to be BNSF. It is useless to tame gamers, and anyways, what in turn BNSF with this (silly) decision achieves is get their "unbranded brand" displayed in an even uglier shape: orange without the logo but still, most if not all of us know well, it's the "shame" train, the BNSF, the only pathetic bunch that didn't authorize their brand to be used. Smarter people than I will probably explain to me shortly why is it such a logical and acceptable step from BNSF not to allow DTG to use the brand, but I can't care less. All the other big brands are fine with things used, except these orange-coloured clowns, so it's obvious the problem lies in their system. Down with the orange, long live the yellow, the black and the blue!

Something else. DTG, please give us a dedicated 100% CSX line instead, because, none of the CSX-marketed routes that we currently have in the game are major CSX tracks. The Miami route isn't really a CSX section, they do have track rights and share the line with commuter passenger trains but freight trains are kinda secondary there and are much shorter than on true freight tracks. Not good enough to represent them. The New York area routes are mainly passenger routes too, with CSX operating on them but again, they are still not the hardcore CSX lines. And the Pennsylvania Coal DLC that we have is basically a Norfolk Southern line with CSX having some rights as well but they are guests only. Please consider a pure, full-blown CSX line.

28. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

Simply use a photoshop and add the BNSF logo
    Ninja Technique !!

• Like Like x 1
  29. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

What difference does that make?
    DTG have not made the Welsh Marshes or any of the other routes that are in the game and are from Partner Developers.
    Have a look at Victory Works - they have developed a whole range of locos for Train Simulator but DTG have not made any of them
    https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Victory Works

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  30. zsmonostori80

zsmonostori80 New Member

Question.

I do have Marias Pass (bought it prior to the BNSF ban), Stevens Pass and the Pacific Surfliner route that also features BNSF.

If I were to buy the European edition of the Havre-Shelby BNSF Hi-Line (in order to combine it with Marias Pass, resulting in the entire real-world Hi-Line Subdivision), my question is, can I apply the BNSF logos from the mentioned older BNSF routes to the new ones that come with the Hi-Line Havre to Shelby route?

The old BNSF locomotives do not have the CTRL+SHIFT+1 advanced braking modes and are pretty outdated. I believe the ones that come unbranded with the European version of the Havre-Shelby route are already updated so that they (hopefully) have flashing ditchlights and probably also have the advanced brake modes. But they are unbranded. It would be great if I could just copy some files from the older, still branded, BNSF locomotives.

Is it doable?

If it is, then, and only then I am gonna spend my money on the Shelby-Havre.

• Like Like x 1
  31. C 70015

C 70015 Member

it probably is doable but i've never copied-pasted a texture. i'll dig around though.

32. Mack Winston

It makes a huge difference.

It means it's "official content" (e.g. can be used in screenshot contests and put on the game's loading screen) even if DTG didn't actually write it, and it means "official content" can include fictional logos.

The orignal question was "Could BNSF content be brought back to train sim", someone said "No, because DTG will only put real life logos on things and they can't for BNSF", but this proves that official content can be released for Train Simulator with generic/non-real life logos (e.g. the Bossman class 47, or the "Climate Rail" intermodal containers in WCML Trent Valley). It doesn't have to be _written_ by DTG themselves to be official content released on Steam, and DTG are obviously willing to publish content with fictional liveries.

Therefore the answer to the original question is, "Yes, BNSF content could be brought back as official content available on Steam, although it may have to be absent the BNSF logo".

33. ChuckleBerry

ChuckleBerry New Member

Well, BNSF Routes are not that good, Racetrack is ok and the GP38 are patchable with the logo.
    Marias Pass is a copy & paste route with as less Ground textures as possible.
    There are actually locomotives avialable with other packages which are identical to BNSF packages, there are BNSF reskins called "ES44DC" but the files are identical to the Sherman Hill ES44AC, it is possible to apply, in case of the same model, reskins of BNSF DC locos to UP AC locos, but this Needs time and Patience to rewrite all the bin files until it works, but it is possible.
    First start with a repaint tutorial and then see what you can do, I wont give any further insights and I wont share my BNSF locos with anyone they are my private use self made repaints only, but you can get BNSF Locos, in the worst case edit the Sherman Hill Body files and insert another dds texture file or make your own dds texture in paint, and safe it, yes ist named sherman hill es44ac but it has the livery.
    The routes are not the best, Donner Pass Redux, Canadian Mountain Passes and also Sherman Hill are better routes then Marias Pass.
    Sure, not all Locos can be achieved, but it is possible to get a BNSF Main Locomotive with an improved cab, better then the asset pack es44ac, but this one is also important for the repaints.
    Have fun creating your own BNSF locomotives and dont Forget, never sell or share it :D good luck