PC North American (or British) Steam

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by treid09, Nov 22, 2019.

1. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hello, I am usually only on the TS side of the forums, but I want to make a content suggestion for TSW that I think we would all want. Steam locomotives. For me, I love modern, North American steam the best, but I know that any steam locomotive would be wonderful. I remember watching a YouTube video where one of the lead developers (I think Matt was his name), said that the UE4 structure would allow anyone to build the physics of any locomotive, including steam. So, for the proposal, I would love to see the engines from Union Pacific's steam program modeled for this game -- FEF-3 844, Big Boy 4014, and Challenger 3985. I recently had the opportunity to get up close to a steamed up 4014, and it was beyond my imagination. The huge size of these locomotives would also make them a great candidate for DLC, besides obvious reasons. It would also be fun to include some new tasks to go along with the locomotives, such as greasing crankpins, checking and refilling the lubricators, getting samples of boiler water for analysis, etc. I would also love to see British steam as well, such as the A1 Tornado, A4's, or Black 5's. It would be amazing to drive an A1 on one of the modern UK routes. That would be another reason, I think , to do modern steam locomotives in TSW: they can be used in excursion service on current routes (if applicable.) I can't play TSW yet due to hardware limitations, but it would be awesome to have steam locomotives of any kind in this game. God bless. (None of these pictures are mine.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. hightower

hightower Guest

DTG have said time and time again that although they want to do Steam in TSW, you’re not going to see it anytime soon.

Every time they do a stream or release a new DLC the question gets asked about every 5 minutes by different people, and the answer is ALWAYS the same. Yes, but not for the foreseeable. Same for the editor.

Not at all directed at you personally, but it would be great if people listened and stopped asking for it over and over and over again. I’m certain that when they can do it they’ll be yelling it from the rooftops!

ps There’s also a specific forum for content suggestions that I believe DTG do look at. Great post btw...you obviously put some work into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. treid09

treid09 Guest

Thanks for letting me know hightower. I actually haven’t watched any of those streams. And no offense taken by the way, I had no idea people had asked the same question that much. I just recently saw the 4014 and have been coming off of a steam high ;). And yes, I noticed the content suggestion section. I’ll try to move it. God bless

• Like Like x 1
  4. treid09

treid09 Guest

Thanks for the compliment by the way, much appreciated!

5. hightower

hightower Guest

I honestly didn’t mean to sound like I was being miserable! You’re absolutely entitled to ask the question, it’s not my place to stop you. It’s just it’s literally been asked probably thousands of times.

I’m sure when American Steam is on the agenda you’ll be on the right lines with your suggestions. I’m sure one of the reasons it’s not there now is that they want to do it justice, for all the reasons you’ve mentioned.

Fingers crossed :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. treid09

treid09 Guest

No problem! I didn’t take it that way at all. You weren’t being miserable in the least little bit, I appreciate your response and kind comments. :) I hope they do it too! I love modern diesels, but after seeing big steam up close, I am hooked!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I hope one day we'll see something like this:
    RDR2_Steam_Locomotive.jpg
    The particle effects for the smoke and steam are are spot on, the sounds are atomspheric and well implemented and the distant terrain is wonderful. If only TSW could hit this standard

• Like Like x 2
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Which game is that from?

9. Digital Draftsman

Red Dead Redemption 2 from Rockstar Games.

10. ARuscoe

Looks pretty good I have to say

11. Digital Draftsman

What amazes me is that the trains are an ancillary part of the game, yet the attention to detail which has gone into capturing the appearance and atmosphere created by these steam locomotives is quite superb.

• Like Like x 1
  12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to steam making an appearance in TSW, hopefully it won't be too much longer.

It will be interesting to see how steam period routes are represented in service mode. I would love to see, for an example, a version of Riviera in the 50's, whether service mode might try and recreate the summer Saturdays in the 50's where train were routinely queuing along the Dawlish sea wall, I suspect that might be asking for too much though.

A sleepy branch line would be nice with opportunities for shunting and pick up freights, maybe mixed trains as on the Tetbury branch..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ARuscoe

Well it's good enough for an ancilliary part of the game considering the amount of money spent on developing it. One would hope that if they put as much money into a simulator it would be photorealistic (like I expect the new flight sim to be)

• Like Like x 1