Most North America Locomotive's Brakes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpmackay, Jan 8, 2020.

1. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I am curious to know why are most of North America locomotive's brakes started at 30% not less like maybe 5 or 10% but I see myself in simulator that I have to apply the brakes way over 30% and I think that is way too much not like prototype locomotives in real railroad. I wish I know how to write the locomotive eng file but not sure what program can open with. Something like old Microsoft Train Simulator or Open Rails I can change the percentage of brake in locomotive ENG file in WordPad or Context Editor. Maybe TrainSim-Steve or TrainSim-Dimtri know what to look for the file to change the brakes.

Thank you,

John

2. trev123

trev123 Active Member

John, there are lots of brake mods in the RWA file library for various US locos.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

There are plenty of mods that address these issues, most can be found on RWA and some other can be found by other 3rd Party Content Creators. They do help a lot to make the locomotives perform as they do irl, go out and get some ! :)

4. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I forgot to add to my first message about the locomotive physics and mods. Yes I have them all but still wrong to put the brakes on in 30 percent not like between 5 to percent. Guess that I have to contact the creator of mods about this. And want to say thank you to others who replied to my message above.

John

5. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I recently had the chance to get a cab ride on a North American freight train, got to see the real thing in action. While this was a wonderful experience and long time dream, it was also disappointing to see just how far from reality this simulator is. Braking is probably the most unrealistic aspect. :(

6. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Agreed with you about the braking is the most unrealistic aspect. Because few times when I was young and got cab ride with my uncle who works for the railroad. I see the difference between real train and train on simulator. Glad that you spoke about this as well not just me.

John

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Do you bother looking at Railworks America?
    Most of the modifications you ask about can be found there

8. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Yes I did look at Railworks America and got the physics and mods for the required locomotives but still not perfect but better than the original locomotive to run.

John

9. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Most of it because it has various stages as released, hold and the application begins.
    I don't use many US loco's, but in DLC from the UK, especially vacuum style it works the same way from what I noticed. You have a released position, then a hold position and then apply. Return to hold for holding that amount of brake pressure instead of brake notches.