Subscription Service

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Doomotron, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Note: This suggestion also applies to all other Dovetail games.

The library of DLC in Train Simulator is huge. Many scenarios or routes require massive amounts of DLC disproportionate to what you are getting. Therefore I think that now might be the correct time to introduce a subscription service to Dovetail's games.

I know many will hate this idea (and if you do, since there's no downvotes you can clearly tell me why this you don't agree with me, and if the argument is rational then I will acknowledge it Random Railfan, even if I don't agree with it), but I will continue anyway.

I assume that the subscriptions would not be all-encompassing and would be based on categories. For example...
    • In Train Simulator, you might get a subscription for all British and hypothetical Irish content.
    • In the fishing games, you could get a subscription that gives you all of the equipment packs.
    • In Train Sim World, you may get a subscription that gives you all future routes.
    Really, the content in the subscriptions are up to Dovetail, but I was thinking of some more types of subscriptions...
    • A 'fan's choice' subscription for each game, where polls on this forum would dictate would what be put in it.
    • A 'Peddlesden Special' or equivalent where the respective director/producer for each game would select his or her favourite content and include it in the subscription.
    • An 'all games' subscription that would include all of Dovetail's available games (excluding Flight Simulator) and all future games, including the new boat simulator that I just made up on the spot (pretty please Dovetail).
    • An 'all DLC' subscription that would include all of the DLC. All of it.

2. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I really don't like this idea unless it will save you a large amount of money. If it just gives you content automatically with little to no discount I can't see it being too feasible in a world that's already filled with subscription services. Train Simulator is also not something that would work very well with something like this because if the DTG staff pick what you get you'd be getting a ton of stuff that you wouldn't want. For example, I'm not interested in German stuff or American freight so if I was given something like that I would feel ripped off. That or it could just flat out give you something terrible like East Midlands Coal. Maybe if they only had country-specific subscriptions like you said it could work, but only if it offered a discount that made it cheaper than just buying the content standalone.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I personally think that a Subscription Idea for Train Sim or TSW is not a good idea, this coming for someone who struggles to make ends meet. Having to pay a subscription fee once a month or once a year does not work for me, I would rather pay for the routes as they come out.

A issue around subscriptions is you could end up getting something you do not want and have choice but to except it. I would prefer the existing system works for me, and I am sure works well others. I would like to be able to pick and choose what I want to download and play. At this point so far there hasn't been anything I did not want but having choice is better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. Random Railfan

I couldn't agree more. Since a lot of TS's community is picky in what kind of content they get I can see a lot of people getting mad at DTG because they were given something they didn't want.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Michael Newbury

Another issue just thought of with a subscription if for what ever reason you choose to cancel the subscription or are unable to pay the subscription fee. You would lose everything then would have to pay for it to get it back, so better to pay for it once to keep it for life.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Random Railfan

I think the way the subscription would work is that you'd get some content once a month or something and keep it forever once you have it, even if you cancel the subscription, because you already paid for it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Subscription is a bad and not working idea for a train simulation game with this amount of DLC at least. It wouldn't work out well for both, customers and developers. What could work is a type of flat rate. Means, pay a flat fee per month and get a defined amount of DLC for it per month that you then own and don't lose when you cancel the flat rate payment. With that you have the ability back to choose what you want to have. The downside again is, that there may be nothing provided within a month that you really want to own. So at the end, both methods woulnd't work out well. Best is the way that you pay for what you really want as it is since always.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. Michael Newbury

Never the less I would prefer the current setup works for me and I not spending money on something that would not work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Slight amendment to the idea: how about, instead of a subscription service, there is a flat charge for content with little variation?

The problem with the pricing in Dovetail's games (although in some games more than others) is that the pricing system is often broken or too varied. For example, the Midland Main Line for RailWorks is £25, but for just £12 you get the longer and more varied West Coast Main Line North. Having played and payed in RailWorks a lot, I think it's time DTG started pricing things better.
    • A flat charge of £15 for routes, with two exceptions:
      • Shorter than average routes (like the GARL) would cost £10.
      • Longer than average routes would cost £20.
    • Trains would cost £5.
    • Train packs (more than one train included) would cost £8.
    • Marketplace liveries would cost £1.
    • Marketplace trains (excluding the Krokodil and HXD3D) would cost £3.
    • Scenario packs would cost £2, unless it is themed with a limited market (like Christmas-themed packs), where it would cost £1.
    • Asset packs would cost 50p.
    • 'Individual' RW routes such as Count Of Monster Disco, that don't require RailWorks to play will cost £5. This does not apply to main DLCs that can be played individually like the NEC.

10. Michael Newbury

I will agree with you that the pricing for routes are ridiculously over priced, but it's not only DTG that is doing this what I have to pay Canadian for some of these routes is madding. Not sure if there is a simple solution when it comes to pricing, I understand the developers want to cover the costs in developing these routes.

But I think length of route should be a major factor in what the user should pay to play it. A shorter route should cost less than a longer route. But where do you set limits on length what would considered a short route and would be considered a long route.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Random Railfan

I really wish the pricing was like that. $40 USD for one single route is a ton so some lower prices would be amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

Not a fan of this idea either, if you were to get an subscription will ALL DLCs, that would require a large storage drive for all of the DLCs. Plus a subscription with that many DLCs probably won't save you that much money in the long run.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4