Ts20: S8 Spectacular!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Jan 31, 2020.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Experience state-of-the-art commuter traction in the form of Just Trains’ stylish London Underground S8 Stock, which is available now on the Steam and Dovetail Games stores!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 2
  2. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Wow! A random JT release that's actually good! Are we getting an underground route to go with it?

3. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Maybe the Metropolitan Line comes in a few weeks.

4. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Wow, what a shame. It would have made way more sense to release them together.

5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Will have to add to my wish list for now until I can afford to buy it.

6. 805 BENBOW

805 BENBOW Member

As i have put in another section on the forum it has no cab in quick drive mode. Pity as it looks great. Just wish it said it on the steam specs.

7. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I appreciate that this is a nice add-on, but can we PLEASE just get the M2? Literally nobody asked for this, and it isn't even new. You could already buy it from JT's website for months just like you could with all the other stuff they've been dumping on steam lately.

• Like Like x 3
  8. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

The question is, why would I buy this if there is no suitable place to use it. There is no official tube line in TS. It looks nice, and gives a promising future for rapid transit in TS2020, but seriously, can we please get that beautiful M2?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Random Railfan

Yeah we need it. I have a feeling it's in the queue for release but keeps getting pushed back by these stupid JT DLCs that nobody wanted on Steam.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

To be fair to DTG/JT, it's been pushed back by the failure of the M2's developer to have the product ready for release on time, these other releases from JT are being released as planned and are not pushing back the release of the M2.

You're also assuming that the M2 is actually ready. It may still be in a state of development and not ready for release, which is again not DTG and JT's fault. I'm often the first to point out when DTG are wrong, but on this occasion it's not DTG's fault.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Random Railfan

I should have looked at it that way. I just have doubts that the M2 isn't ready since Reppo said it was "close to release," so I have a feeling it's being pushed back for JT stuff to release. It just annoys me that a ton of random stuff that nobody asked for keeps taking up the release slots. It'd be better if DTG just promoted Just Trains and their website on their social medias and didn't dump their stuff onto Steam, or at least release something that people really want, like the S8. So far the only JT stuff that people appear to actually care about are the S8 and maybe London-Aylesbury. Nobody asked for the Valley Corridor and Totham to be put on Steam. Totham looks awful and is horrifically outdated, and I doubt there's really much demand for some weird repetitive fictional route like the Valley Corridor. Of all the things to put on Steam, why that? Why not more of the Western Mainlines all the way to Paddington or the Metropolitan Line?

Keep in mind that what I said about the demand for routes is my opinion so if someone here likes the Valley Corridor, that's okay. I just personally have no interest in it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The S8 has scenarios for the London to Aylesbury route released on Steam.
    From Finchley Road to Amersham the route has sections of two, four and six track running and the Chesham branch.
    So this unit is ready to play on this route.
    I think it should have and you should report it as a fault if it does not appear
    I have not seen anything on the JT Website to say there is no cab is QD
    https://www.justtrains.net/product/s8-advanced-underground-stock

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  13. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the London-Aylesbury route came with a cabless S8 as an AI placeholder, and then this is the proper drivable release, so maybe that's the source of this rumour.

I do think it's a shame that JT released this separately from their undergound route - both seem a little pointless on their own, but would be very tempting together.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

JT first released the London to Aylesbury route which has the LT section to Amersham and the sections of line that the Chiltern trains run over.
    The S8 was released for people to have a train to run on that route but people could by the S8 to run on the Virtual District Line
    And stock off the VDL could be used on the London to Aylesbury Route.
    When JT released their new Underground Route they also released the S7 for use on that section.

Peter

15. 805 BENBOW

805 BENBOW Member

Hi Peter. I have already submitted a ticket on this and hope others do. Quick drive compatible i don't think there is a route regardless of the developer where there is no cab. As for the London Marylebone to Aylesbury route it has more bugs than the Amazon rain forest.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  16. 805 BENBOW

805 BENBOW Member

Yes, you are right it did come with a cabless S8 but that was on the Just Trains website. However, when you go to Steam and it states Quick Drive compatible one tends to think that they have collaberated and added a cab. Unfortunately this is not the case and i am hoping both developers identify this and add a cab to Q.D for the S8.

17. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

While I will take your point into account. My gripe with that whole thing is how M2/4 was advertised well before release, while other dlc is just being pumped out. I feel that content should only be announced closer to release or when they’re sure it’s slated to come within the next week or so after. if they’re going to be holding out on information as you tend to stress, and rightfully so... they may as well time their announcements a little better with their stuff.

They do have a history of announcing things and then never actually coming to fruition or being released nearly a year later and not released as initially advertised.

Like that whole Coaster dlc fiasco.
    So when you have something like the M2’s that have been requested since the inception of the New Haven route and now knowing it’s being held for as long as it has been while content that was never announced coming to steam and nobody really asked about is just making the cut. Is honestly a little annoying. More than it should be honestly. The M2’s are already way long overdue, so the wait, is understandably annoying.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I agree, they should at least acknowlege that it's delayed and then convey the new release slot to potential customers as soon as it's confirmed. It's the usual issue of poor communication, and that's always been a problem for DTG.

DTG are probably of the opinion that it's not delayed because they never announced a release date, however that's naive way to conduct business. Whilst a court of law may agree it's not delayed, the court of public opinion is holding the opposing view and it's the custom of the public that DTG wants, so their opinion is supreme.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Random Railfan

I wish DTG had a set time to announce and release. For example if something was announced on Monday it would come out on Thursday during the same week. The time between announcement and release would stay the same so we'll know when to expect it instead of waiting around for a while. They seem to announce and wait a while to build hype since all the Just Trains stuff they're dumping on to Steam releases randomly without any announcement.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Should DTG release the M2, even if it is not ready, and then wait for the complaints that something does not work - like with the TGV Reseau, or should they make sure it is correct Before it is released?

They have probably found a fault in the last minute testing and are fixing it.

At the bottom of the page about the M2 is this
    Screenshots and images displayed in this article may depict content that is still in development.

Peter

21. railstormers

railstormers New Member

I’m fairly new here, what happened with the Coaster DLC? Isn’t it unbranded as “San Diego Commuter”?

22. Random Railfan

I was wondering the same thing. I have a feeling it released super late.

• Like Like x 1
  23. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Back in 2013, the coaster was advertised.. for the Pacific Surfliner, apparently. But it had not been released until close to a year later, and then when it did, it came released unbranded, as the San Diego Commuter.. though on the flip side, also churned out the LA commuter dlc (MetroLink).. That was the day when TS updated to 2015..

• Like Like x 1
  24. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

I think you're missing the point. The London-Aylesbury route says "AI-Only London Underground S Stock". In the context of that route "Quickdrive compatible" means that the route has quickdrive start/stop points set up on it. They are unlikely to add a cab to their AI-only stock that comes with the route because that would defeat the point of this new add-on.

25. 805 BENBOW

805 BENBOW Member

No. i don't think i am missing the point. It is titled London Underground S8 EMU which by description means the DLC is a unit and not a route. Enlighten me what DLC whether by DTG or a third party comes without a cab ?

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You are talking about two different trains
    This S8 EMU which is sold by JT and is available thru Steam has a Fully Working Cab.
    https://www.justtrains.net/product/s8-advanced-underground-stock

If you buy the Metropolitan Line Route it also come with an S8 EMU is for AI trains only
    You can use the keyboard to control it but it has No Cab
    " We have, however, included a special Quick Drive enabled version of the Just Trains S8 Advanced which can be driven via the F4 HUD controls. This special version of the S8 does not feature a cab or passenger view"

Peter

• Like Like x 1