Tsw: “oh Canada!”

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

Coming soon to Train Sim World is Canadian National’s captivating and challenging Oakville Subdivision!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 16
  2. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Wait... only a GP9 and GP38-2? That's not a lot of traffic... and mainline trains certainly don't... work with that.

And no sign of any passenger traffic on one of the busiest passenger routes in the country?

• Like Like x 11
  3. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

eca.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  4. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

If there's passenger which I think there is because of all the stations.. it'll be in the next article or a seperate DLC.......

• Like Like x 1
  5. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope to see passengers service on this route.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nne4229

Nevermind, no passenger is mentioned in the steam store page.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

That's less than 20 miles long and there's no GO Transit services included? Also no GP38-2W with the classic Canadian Comfort cab?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Big Papi34

We couldn't even get a damn dash 9. Dont expect passenger.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Big Papi34

How long exactly is the route

• Like Like x 1
  10. raildan

I would not be surprised to see passenger as a future DLC, but that means the route is useless and empty without paying DTG extra money.

If they really wanted to stay with just freight, they could have at LEAST included a dash 9.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Digital Draftsman

It says 24 miles on the Steam Store, but I guess that's measuring from the furthest point of one yard to the furthest point of the other, it's more like 20 miles of actual driving. Hamilton GO to Oakville GO is less than 18 miles.

• Like Like x 2
  12. nne4229

Pretty sure this will be the DLC... 32662d433cd766b87cddbe88ae1907cc.png_1200x630.png maxresdefault.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  13. nne4229

Assets to be re-used. Yep... typical DTG...

• Like Like x 10
  14. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Looking like to summarized this route:
    - 24 Miles between Hamilton and Oakville (The shortest end of the stick)
    - 2 Locos, 1 Reused GP38 (No surprise there) and a GP9rm (The Rebuild Version)
    - 4 Rolling Stocks (All reused for sure)
    and for my bet; no substitution system.
    The hype is dead for sure now.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Big Papi34

99a498509fb369579348ef419b7a8294.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  16. Big Papi34

Here my good friends is how NOT to run a business.

• Like Like x 3
  17. raildan

At least the switching will be pretty interesting. If this didn't advertise itself as a mainline thing and most importantly was sold at a reduced price (like WSR) it would kind of make sense.

I'll wait for a sale. A real one, not the practically nonexistent preorder discount.

• Like Like x 4
  18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Shame, it looks like an interesting route and one I would have purchased, but if there is no passenger traffic, despite being a passenger and freight line then that is disappointing.

Maybe a future sale purchase for me if a passenger add-on is released.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Digital Draftsman

Even if it is, Hamilton GO to Oakville GO is less than 18 miles and most of the services stop short of Hamilton at Burlington, so most services would only be 11 miles long.

It's pathetic that they didn't include the GO Transit rollingstock with this DLC, at £24.99 too. It's pretty shocking. This has to be the worst value DLC thus far.

• Like Like x 10
  20. nne4229

I'd buy this if the passenger component was included. But this is sad, and for them to just use this as an opportunity to bring in More DLC money.. cmon

• Like Like x 5
  21. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

24 MILES?! To put it into context for us Europeans that's 39 km... That's even shorter than RRO, which with both lines combined is 42km/26miles.... But at least there is a lot to do on RRO, and substitution works awesome there... But come on, this is finally a new country in the game and they could've done it so much better. I'd rather see less routes released, if they were higher quality. Please DTG, don't start the new year in DLC's like this.

• Like Like x 11
  22. motionguy

motionguy New Member

Union station (DT Toronto) to Hamilton would have been a better route. But agreed they will probably include GO/VIA as DLC. I live 5 min from the route and have waited forever for something that represents my home area. But will not purchase on release. Way to short.

• Like Like x 5
  23. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I personally have been waiting for a North American route based heavily on freight. This seems to be that. I’ll have a lot of fun running freight services on this route, and it’s the first time DTG has done a TSW route set in another country. I am excited to see Canada and that is more important to me then the length or the locomotives, I can’t wait to see more!

• Like Like x 10
  24. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I will still buy the route but I am very disappointed that DTG has yet again has missed the mark and made another small route, with something like this I was expecting much longer route this time.

• Like Like x 7
  25. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Me to I would definitely love to see some New York Atlantic freight more CSX freight and provdince and Worcester freight.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Agreed finally another country added to TSW and for it to be Canada is also good, but like most saddened in the length once again another short route. With a route that was promised to be more freight oriented the route needs to be much longer than this.

• Like Like x 4
  27. BjornGroen02NL

Well, I've added this into my TSW DLC spreadsheet, and actually it doesn't look to bad. However, this doesn't take into consideration that most stuff is reused. I still won't buy it, but in terms of what you get if you own zero USA routes, I'd say you could consider it then. But for veterans like us it's useless, pricewise:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M6QrVqBikMiuP-ER7MYi-q0ZPdaLTAM-/view?usp=sharing

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. Digital Draftsman

If you buy it then it will only encourage DTG to continue to make even shorter routes and recycle even more rollingstock.

They have reused the GP38-2 on Sandpatch Grade, NEC, PC and now on this route. They've sold the same locomotive (bar minor alterations) four times; They didn't even add the Canadian Comfort Cab to at least make it more distinctive to the route.

If you take into account that not only is the GP38-2 reused, but it's already been used in three previous DLCs already, then it's even more poor value for money. If you added in a column for number of stations, OS only has 6 stations, so it's poor value in terms of stations for £££ as well. At least ECW had 16 stations, despite its short length.

I think I'm throwing in the towel with TSW. This is getting beyond a joke. There's no Editor, so there's no competition in the market and DTG are exploiting that situation to the maxium.

• Like Like x 13
  29. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

The focus of this DLC is on serving local industries and switching around cars. It's not about long distance freight (like HH) and it's not about passenger services. If that's your thing, I think this DLC will give you a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 9
  30. BjornGroen02NL

....And to add to this, it doesn't seem like anyone of DTG takes suggestions and ideas of their customers serious. (the actual players of the game). We are the ones who want to play a game we actually like, and although I'm not saying that DTG should do everything according to us, but at the very least they could use some of our ideas. I miss the time when absolutely awesome routes like Ruhr-Sieg Nord, or CSX Heavy Haul or Northern Trans-Pennine where released. Those where absolutely brilliant DLC's and everyone loved them. Little bugs were quickly solved and everything was new, exciting and a pleasure to drive. We don't get routes like this anymore, which is a shame if you ask me.

• Like Like x 4
  31. BjornGroen02NL

I've got to say I agree with you, but this does not take away the fact that rolling stock is simply re-used from other routes and they still want 30 euros for it.

• Like Like x 6
  32. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I just realised the last time we didn't have a train that was reused from another route was December 2018 with the NTP route... Not to mention that this is the 3rd route in a row to be under 30 miles...

• Like Like x 2
  33. Digital Draftsman

If it's about switching freight cars it would have been nice if they had including some new freight cars instead of reusing old ones; Perhaps they could have included the cylindrical grain cars which are common in Canada and have interesting paint schemes. They could also have added the Comfort Cab to the GP38-2. Just some simple things to add some value to the route and bring elements that are distinctively Canadian.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  34. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Because this is the 3rd route in a row to be under 30 miles, and because we haven't had a route with all new trains since NTP came out, I'm getting a bit worried that this is becoming the standard. I would much rather wait for a long time for a long route.

• Like Like x 3
  35. raildan

Right. I agree. It looks like a really fun little switching route. However, how much do "fun little swithcing routes" cost on TS2020? Hint: less. The reused stock makes this worth even less than that- there is only one new locomotive and no new pieces of rolling stock. It sounds like fun, but not worth this much.

And the annoying thing is, with the route they've chosen, it could be so much more. In real life, this isn't just some terminal/industrial switching route. Not at all. Not only does this route have so little value, but it could have had so much more.

• Like Like x 5
  36. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

And for many, they like to see longer routes for the Heavy Haulers. Freight is all about both the Local/Switching work. But also the long distances just to see the sights and detail of each route. I'll still say this is a missed opportunity for making it both a local and long distance freight route. And disappointing to not have new and bigger locos and rolling stock to be added in (other than the GP9).

• Like Like x 4
  37. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Those would of been nice DD but it doesn't coincide with their mantra of "minimally viable product"

• Like Like x 3
  38. raildan

Peninsula Corridor was pretty good and long. Yeah they reused a geep but with enough new content that's acceptable (NTP wasn't technically all new either- the 47 was upgraded a bit, but it had been seen before). That's the kind of route DTG should be doing, and that's the kind of route they could have done here.

• Like Like x 4
  39. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see if they charge £25 for a 24 mile route with 2 locos (one of which is reused)

• Like Like x 2
  40. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Exactly. I actually really enjoyed (and still do) Peninsula Corridor. An almost 50 mile route is better than a 20 mile one!

• Like Like x 5
  41. raildan

Bad news. They are. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113820

If they weren't, I might think more about buying this. But... nope.

• Like Like x 4
  42. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Deary me! Knowing the amount of services that DTG seem to provide for freight services, there probably won't be much traffic either...

• Like Like x 1
  43. BjornGroen02NL

I don't know who does the calculations at DTG, they say that 24 miles is 41 km. which is wrong, it's 38,6km, so aprox. 39 km.

I mean, if they've even screwed up this it can't be any good.

• Like Like x 6
  44. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

What needs to be a thing in upcoming route reveal articles:
    - route length (24 miles) with approximate travel times (?? minutes from end to end at line speed)
    - number of scenarios (6 scenarios)
    - number of timetabled services (?? services, the "Extensive 24-Hour Timetable" says nothing)
    - route map (the one on loading screens?)

The screenshots are nice and we get some info on the route, but in 2020 I'm starting to get sick of marketing phrases.
    "bustling freight yards", "bustling Oakville Subdivision" and "sights and sounds of a busy railroad". I still remember the hustling and bustling LIRR service mode.

So far this doesn't seem worth it, but I've said that with RRO and I'm enjoying the route to this date.

One thing on the Steam page caught my interest:
    "Train Sim World: Canadian National Oakville Subdivision caters for players of all ability levels with accessible training for beginners and advanced procedures for experts. Whether you're looking to get started driving trains or refreshing your expert knowledge, Train Sim World has it covered."

What exactly does this mean? Does this mean the option for cold starts in timetabled services?
    Or is this just the marketing department saying hello?

• Like Like x 13
  45. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Next twenty mile route... That's it. TSW is officially dead.

• Like Like x 7
  46. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I believe one look at their qualifications for "mastery" will answer that question but we shall see

• Like Like x 1
  47. BjornGroen02NL

Don't forget the word "exciting" which they've used in literally every single article they post. I'm getting sick of that word, lol

• Like Like x 5
  48. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Now we really know why the downvotes have gone. ;)

• Like Like x 19
  49. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

third one in a row lol

• Like Like x 3
  50. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Disappointing to say the least. When I think "Canadian Freight routes"... not only do I think the switching/yard work is important... but also that long distance scenery in. [​IMG]

Instead, we get a 24 mile route with re-used stock and no real improvements to the sim...again. Distant scenery still looking rather dated. The same ugly skybox. Traffic guaranteed to not be up to par. Would also gladly give up the "collectibles" if it meant more time on route length.

On a slightly offtopic note : Still no editor, still no multiplayer (which was promised), still no steamies, no third-party peripherals.

Not sure where Dovetail's mind is at these days... Started out with an incredible foundation... and just slowly ruining it.

• Like Like x 14
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.