Tsw: “oh Canada!”

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Would have liked to see some new rolling stock instead of reused stuff, some passenger services, and some long haul road freights with typical road units.
    And why are all the new routes so short?????? Another route in the wrong direction. :(

I'll still probably buy the route, but I'll wait for a sale.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

For 1. the description on Steam for the route does say 24 Miles. Pretty sure that means it also includes the yards and industrial sidings.
    and 2. Instead of you saying what's been copied and pasted from Discord. How about getting Matt himself in here to answer why the team remade the GP38 for a SECOND time now and can't get any more new locos per route. I will have to agree with Big Papi on his post, it's people with a "very" positive attitude are the reasons why TSW is being like this, small pieces of a much larger route with some reused content at the same route price.

I'm not saying myself the route looks bad, but the time of making one should've improved waaay better than this. 3-4 years since CSX: HH and I was hoping something similar like that route for all platforms by now.
    Edit Note: I don't like to be this negative for TSW that has an opportunity to be better than it is now. But this cycle has to end this year or there will be more hate than ever before.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

That's a poor excuse. Anyway, they already have the SD40-2, why didn't they include that with this route as well? CN even have standard cab SD40-2s, so they could at the very least have done as they did with the GP38-2.

I notice Anthony, that you have gone from saying that DTG will make longer routes once they have learned how to create routes more efficiently in TSW, to accepting that routes are getting shorter and shorter and you're making more excuses for why that is.

• Like Like x 8
  4. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

A 24 mile route with a few freight services and no passenger whatsoever? Yeah, this seems like NEC New York only worse. If only we had an EDITOR we could get around stuff like this. I'm definitely passing on this garbage. You have successfully insulted Canada. Neil Peart's ghost should haunt you for this.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Agreed I and finding it a bit sad that they recycle assets is not good thing and shows a lack care of what should be put into this game. This new route does offer at least something I have been wanting in this game and that to be able to deliver to industries. But saddened that at the length. I remember Matt had said on a stream that they believed to have found a way to make longer routes in less time. But with the release of this route that does not seem to be.

I am hoping that they can get their act together and stop churning out short routes.

• Like Like x 8
  6. John Murphy

Of course you did, because DTG is God to you and you automatically defend and support everything they say or release. I'm not saying EVERYTHING they do is bad (stuff like LIRR and NTP are incredible), but come on. How could anybody really be looking forward to this crap? Hey, it's your money wasted, not mine.

• Like Like x 4
  7. John Murphy

I second this! Trainz veteran of 16 years here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Is DTG reading our complaints of not ? If they continue like this it’ll be probably the fall of TSW

• Like Like x 3
  9. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

dtg will the class lights work?

• Like Like x 1
  10. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

I want this game to succeed, I've played since MSTS. I was so excited when Matt had that sneak peak intro video when they first announced TSW... unfortunately with cut features and quality .. While I do play around with this game here and there... this could be so much better. Most of my games I play are based in UE4 and I know this Could be way better... but whoever is telling Matt to tell everyone "I can't talk about this." is killing the game in a lot of ways. I have no doubt Matt wants more freedom.. but is limited by people at the top.

• Like Like x 8
  11. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

People are complaining about the lack of passenger services when in reality, GO Transit only runs 4 services in the morning and 4 more during the afternoon rush between Oakville and Hamilton. Furthermore, this is only a small section of the Lakeshore West route and we all know that Train Sim World only has routes <80 kms... most being <40 kms lately.

The Steam page is wrong about the route length as 24 miles does not equal 41 kilometres. 24 miles equals 38.6 kilometres. As for VIA rail, to my knowledge, they do not run a short Oakville to Hamilton route either. Their website will point you to GO Transit. But that would only be a small fraction of the actual route.

I am super-excited that we are finally getting a Canadian route regardless. I do dream that one day we might see a GO Transit route, but all but three of its 7 routes are longer than anything we have seen for Train Sim World to date. Four routes are 40-50 kms, and 3 are just over 100 kms.

Being a freight-only route, I think this route will have a lot of things to do in the yards and the local drop offs. The scenery should be great as the line pretty much wraps around the western edge of Lake Ontario.

I am happy that they have finally broken the mould of USA-UK-Germany. This is called Train Sim World. I am still wishing for Japan, Russia, etc.

• Like Like x 4
  12. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Lirr isn’t bed but there are a few bugs that can be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

"As for not having mainline diesels, Matt said that Class 1 railroads won’t let DTG have access to their locomotives. So DTG has to use what they have."

Then what about the TS franchise? How'd they do the GE ES44DC for BNSF and SD70ACE for Granger Heartland?

• Like Like x 4
  14. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Well I'm extremely disappointed.

I originally thought they were trying to kill TS20 but now they're on track to kill TSW as well with these hilariously short routes and reused assets.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I say it’s not about route length, it’s about what you can do on the route. :)

• Like Like x 6
  16. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Reusing assets is a common development tactic. If you reuse common assets like foliage, trees, debris and so on rather than creating 100% new assets for every route, you can develop longer routes in a shorter span of time.

Right? R.... right?

• Like Like x 5
  17. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I would like this. However, I agree that it needs the safety cab on the GP38-2, a third freight engine (preferably a CN ES44AC, ET44AC, SD70M-2, or SD75I), and a passenger consist.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

I really like this route and CN appearance.
    Industrial line with switching and transfer runs is fully up to my taste!
    Content equals to others routes (RSN,MSB,RRO,SFJ,NEC) and there is still area for future Loco addons.
    Release date is set really early, I was expected 27. february or later.

• Like Like x 3
  19. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

I'm still relatively new so I still don't know much like some of the longer-standing members, but...
    I personally think quality > quantity, so a 20 mi route wouldn't bother me so long as the scenarios/time table make up for it, along with the scenery, realism, etc... And good on DTG for expanding into Canada with CN. However...
    The US/Canada/North America (EMD/GE land) needs a proper freight route, and I don't think this is it. Now I'll be honest, switching isn't really my thing, I'd rather get up to speed on the mainline than spend an hour <10MPH, which seems to be a minority with freight routes. Regardless, we really don't have a good freight route. CSX freight on NEC and the Penn Corridor UP freight aren't anything special.
    CSX heavy haul doesn't count because it's only for PC, and thus isn't likely to receive updates/DLC (because why only target 1 platform). But it's the only route where a "big boy" (as I call em) freight loco exists, and the quality of the AC4400 is atrocious (from features implemented to audio, which ruins the immersion and realism value), and honestly I'm convinced the engine audio was sampled from 3 vacuum cleaners.
    So to see a reuse of the tired GP38 again is discouraging. And I understand the heavier locos (ES series, SD70, AC4400/Dash9, etc...) are incredibly complex, but DTG really needs to branch out from their little bubble of old EMDs.
    Like I said, I'm still relatively new, but I feel like us across the Atlantic are receiving the short stick with content/quality.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Anthony Pecoraro

They can’t get access to the “big boys.”

21. Anthony Pecoraro

Matt wanted to make the widecab GP38-2 but they couldn’t get enough reference material for that one.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

That is true as long there is plenty to do the route will be good, the only down side is would nice to have longer route. This way is way there would be more services to do and would more to the route.

• Like Like x 3
  23. zane88

zane88 Active Member

HOLY SH...T,
    I JUST NOTICED THAT!

• Like Like x 2
  24. Anthony Pecoraro

I imagine this route having a lot of activities in a smaller area. It’s focused on switching, transfers, and delivering/picking up.

• Like Like x 2
  25. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Now THATT, IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!!

An incredible backdrop, changes in elavation, bad weather, good weather, and a sense that you are actually"going somewhere". THAT MY FRIEND, ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE A ROUTE!!

• Like Like x 1
  26. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Do you work for Dovetail?

just curious......

• Like Like x 2
  27. Digital Draftsman

Do you see where the logic falls down on that excuse?

According to Matt, if they got access to a GP38-2W, they would have included it. Including the GP38-2W would have been more work, yet the DLC would still have been £24.99. So by not including the GP38-2W it's less work for DTG, therefor the DLC should have a lower price to maintain the same profit margin. Yet we, as customers, are expected to pay more for less because DTG can't get access to locomotives.

Anyway, we live in a digital age, you don't need physical access to accurately model a locomotive cab. The Comfort Cab isn't much different to the standard cab in terms of layout and how it functions. The main thing is that it makes the locomotive look very different, very Canadian and the view from cab through the 4 windows lets the player know they're driving a Canadian GM not a US one.

• Like Like x 3
  28. zane88

zane88 Active Member

You forgot Metro North.

Remember............. Metro North.

• Like Like x 2
  29. zane88

zane88 Active Member

The next time I see or hear METRO NORTH, Im going to cut my ears off, grab a fork and
    impale both of my eyeballs, slice each my fingers off so i can't type, and dip my "entire" head in a bowl of ACID!

.....All to prevent you from driving me....

INSANE!!!!!!!:mad:

..... no hard feelings i hope.;)

• Like Like x 3
  30. Matto140

• Like Like x 2
  31. John Murphy

Not much probably.

• Like Like x 2
  32. John Murphy

I've had the same suspicion about him...

• Like Like x 2
  33. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Why? What would be the point of a "heavy haul" of about 18 miles or so?

Oh wait, this is TSW i forgot.

I meant "36" miles if you consider going in reverse as well....;)

• Like Like x 1
  34. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Pecker just likes suckling DTG's teat, and always has. Corporate bootlicking for god knows what reason.

• Like Like x 6
  35. zane88

zane88 Active Member

You're Special. ;)

36. hightower

hightower Guest

Anthony doesn’t work for DTG, although I do believe the DTG staff may have held him captive at some point because he’s clearly suffering from a serious dose of Stockholm Syndrome.

They could literally punch him in the face & charge £25 for it and he’d be here defending them. Nothing personal Anthony, but in 3 years of posting I don’t remember a time when you’ve ever even questioned a single thing DTG have done.

Switching isn’t my thing. I just don’t get it, but that’s me. If this floats your boat then brill, I really hope it does everything you want it to and it’s good quality. I believe there’s meant to be a new feature in this DLC not seen before...again I really hope it’s a good one.

For me however, I’m concerned that it’s further evidence of the direction TSW seems to be going in as it heads further and further away from what I hoped it would be (remember the ‘future of train simulation’). I really do like the game, and I’ve criticised and defended it in equal measure, but these completely isolated, unconnected and unrelated 20-30 mile routes have reached their shelf life for me, particularly at £25 a go.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 18
  37. The TSW line is like that of World of Subway (at least until now).
    Other news is not on the horizon.
    The topics of the editor, multiplayer, etc., should now be redirected to the "Off Topic" discussions in this forum, because this in general is only a forum for personal feelings rather than a feedback forum.
    Here the feedback is not taken into account by DTG.
    Mortal sin!
    I apologize for the reasoning which in turn is off topic here.;)

• Like Like x 2
  38. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is a bit unedifying seeing someone singled out just because they have a different view to others, a little bit like the playground bullies!

I have reservations about this release but if others purchase it and enjoy it then that is their right, I don't see why they should be criticised for it. They can spend their money how they see fit just as much as it is others right to choose not too.

• Like Like x 5
  39. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Another awful and overpriced DLC with Short Route only. I’m disappointed with this Dovetail Strategy

• Like Like x 3
  40. Matto140

If anyone else create better Train Simulator with this route I can buy it for 30€, or it will be free to play???
    DTG is doing their best at limited time and resoureces access.
    Maybe they should buy all Canadian railway first and then recreate it to digital form.
    Later, when this route will be on sale many of those critics buy it anyway, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  41. hightower

hightower Guest

You’re correct and I, for one, am certainly not playing the man before the ball. However, this is a discussion forum and it’s interesting to consider where the line is drawn on what is trolling (or deliberately winding people up) and what is not.

IMHO, relentlessly refusing to see a viewpoint other than your own, dismissing others valid comments with 1 or 2 line answers (which regularly begin with ‘Matt said...’ backed up with no evidence) and not entertaining any criticism, constructive or not, of DTG sails pretty close to the wind. Questioning that stance is not bullying, so to suggest otherwise is just plain wrong.

Anyway, good luck and as I said, I hope this is what all the switchers out there have been waiting for.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2020
  42. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

So, I guess what we have to take from this is that it's a route designed for those people who specifically want switching operations - not the heavy haulers, and certainly not the passenger drivers.

In terms of route length, yes, it's a short run from Oakville to Hamilton, but for those interested in playing around in yards, there's a big one at each end - the Ford plant at Oakville is directly connected to loads of industrial zones at the harbour in Hamilton, which could all be served by this DLC. If that's the case, then clearly, that's where the development time will have gone

Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 10.18.48.png Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 10.16.03.png

What would be really impressive is if they've actually modelled the route further north, towards Toronto so that later on, if they add the GO passenger train as a DLC, the routes will be longer with more stops, and make the two different operations significantly different to each other. Presumably, even if it wasn't complete now, this could be an opportunity to to extend the DLC if they were happy to keep developing it, adding stops north to Toronto at the same time as releasing the passenger trains (recovering some of the dev costs with a sensibly priced train DLC), without compromising the existing services or scenarios they've made on the Oakville to Hamilton section.

• Like Like x 4
  43. Digital Draftsman

You're acting as though people don't spend their money on other things aside from TSW. For the price of one TSW route DLC I can get two map expansion DLCs for American Truck Simulator and still have £7 left over.

• Like Like x 5
  44. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

There’s nothing wrong with phrasing a company for their work, however phrasing them for every single little thing is over the top and wrong. Hence where the term ‘fanboy’ comes in. Its almost as if you’re scared to say anything other than anything 100% positive about things.

Commenting “This is amazing’” on every single post is just as useless as saying “This is crap”.

It offers no real feedback and is no use to the developer. Constructive criticism is always the way forward, as it offers both sides of opinions as well as useful feedback.

I do hope DTG does read our constructive criticism and feedback on these forums as it’ll only make the product and game better.

• Like Like x 7
  45. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Is it reaching the point it has to be considered "what is the point of TSW"?

will it actually get better or is this what DTG want the game to be? is it a console game first, PC second now - with a focus on casual gameplay and accessibility over the "sim" part.

be honest - do any of us consider TSW a 'sim'? I dont - it lacks basic things to make it a sim to me, the driving is almost mindnumbingly simple (it could be like this in real life, I wouldnt know) but when you can just full power it out of a station in heavy rain and stop on a tee as wet tracks have 0 impact its not really a "simulation" is it?

This route is fine I guess, it serves a purpose for a portion of the community but I think the issues are far bigger, and not route specific, their TSW identity crisis specific.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Matto140

I'm acting like fan of this kind of railroad operation represented at Canadian National Oakville Subdivision.
    For example, I don't own any UK TSW content/or LIRR and I don't care about it, my presonal choice, like yours.
    I'm curios how loading of tank cars will work.
    [​IMG]
    Trains are expensive hobby!
    By the way, I have all ATS DLC's.

• Like Like x 1
  47. smash_cze

smash_cze Member

Nice to see that new content is coming.. But for this price i would be happier if we get something newer...
    What?
    - another country (different one) Canada is another country but very similar to US - what about east/middle Europe - interesting trains and routes
    - another locomotives - not still the same in different coat
    - at least one steam locomotive please
    or at least
    - longer routes
    - more switching? ok but this could (should) be on existing routes too.. why i cant go with coal to power plant on Ruhr-Sieg and on another existing routes too?
    - time table with some cold starts
    - REPAIRING OLD BUGS!!!!
    - editor
    - multiplayer

• Like Like x 4
  48. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

As per my post above, this could be exactly what they're trying to provide with this new route. Check out the number of industrial zones at the harbour served by the railway on that map.

• Like Like x 1
  49. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Well what good is that if new features are never ever implemented into older routes... Rapid transit and GWE still don't have destination panels...

• Like Like x 1
  50. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, who thought an industrial route would be good anyway? Sure, it has switching, but 24 miles without an extra branch line like East Coastway is a recipe for disaster. Plus only one new locomotive since the GP38-2 is just a reskin is shameful.

And might I add that the GP38-2 is thrown into U.S. passenger routes wayyyyyy to often.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.