Tsw: “oh Canada!”

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Yes they will streaming the new route today at 6pm their time

• Like Like x 1
  2. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Cool! :D :D :D Australia won!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

Hi Fanta,
    How did you get access to the video of the route early, if you don’t mind me asking.
    Thanks.

5. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Playstation 4 releases publishes new DLC (at least with TSW) from midnight on that day, so they already have it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

The route looks great from what I can see in the video, and when the 2d map was brought up the route looks longer than DTG indicated. The loco's look great and the detail inside is nice, the only let down is the amount of CSX cars I saw on the route.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

There is also on Xbox Store, but my credit card is not able for Australia.

8. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The length is pretty much what they said - the clump of sidings you can see at the top of the map when he zooms out is Oakville so it doesn't go much past that to the north, but it's good to see how much of the industrial sector at Hamilton is mapped.

I'm still hopeful that they can figure out how to extend a route, and put a passenger line in all the way up to Toronto - that would make for a properly impressive bit of DLC, even if we have to buy the passenger loco as an add-on add-on.

Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 18.47.00.png

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

When I heard those default Kuju sounds on the GP9 I just died. I didn't have too much faith in this DLC to begin with but this is just unacceptable. TSW seems to slowly be turning into TS with the lazy recycled sounds.

• Like Like x 6
  10. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the CSX cars. And it would be nice if DTG would bring the CSX locos to OSD too.

11. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

I agree... especially hearing that old horn which, AFAIK, was from the old Kuju Rail Simulator days... absolutely ancient source files...

• Like Like x 3
  12. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

maybe they couldn't get access to real sound from locomotives. canada is far away from uk.

13. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

There are more ways than one to get real sound recordings (such as contracting someone who IS local to such a horn.) If they cared, they could have done it.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Random Railfan

Exactly. DTG simply doesn't care enough to get decent sounds. I feel like they actually tried early on in TSW's life, but now they get away with making extremely short routes and using reused sounds and rolling stock.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

The switching is full of hand-holding as I expected; I was really hoping there would be a puzzle element to the switching, as the joy of switching comes from the challenge of working out the best way to split a train and spot the cars; It's no fun if it's already been decided exactly how you have to do it.

The DLC has the same CSX freight cars from the previous DLC despite having the CN license; Very lazy. The locomotive sounds are also recycled from the GP9 on TS1's Soldier Summit. Overall the DLC seems as though very little effort went into it.

• Like Like x 4
  16. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

To be fair, I did see some cool stuff. The tank car loading is neat, and the locos appear to be modeled nicely (though I'm no expert on the prototypes.) My amateur eyes did see a lot of differences in the GP38 compared to the CSX and UP ones.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention I saw a few blatant typos in the service/scenario descriptions. Hopefully those will be fixed by release (not that they're critical, but... they do show a certain lack of QC)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Random Railfan

Yeah, TSW might as well become "Hand Holding Sim World" because of how much it helps you out. You're treated like a toddler by getting rewarded for doing even the most basic task, like turning on the lights. It's ridiculous how much the game holds your hand. It isn't even optional. Like you said, the whole point of switching is the puzzle aspect and how you have to think hard about where to move and what junction to switch. The main point of the entire DLC is switching and if even that isn't done right, why even buy it?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Random Railfan

The modelling is always good with DTG. The thing they're bad with are sounds, and their textures usually lack some detail.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They couldn’t get access to the real locomotives. They aren’t lazy. I get annoyed when people say that.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Random Railfan

They're still lazy. It really isn't hard to request that someone record sounds for them or at least find more accurate sounds that aren't from over ten years ago.

• Like Like x 9
  21. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

DTG is lazy. They have CN license but they put almost no effort into rolling stock. It's all recycled with a badge slapped onto it. False advertising by far.

• Like Like x 9
  22. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I have to say this is the first route since CSX Heavy Haul that I've actually been excited about, especially after seeing the sprawl of manually switched sidings in the Hamilton area. It's also my first ever pre-purchase (might be the last but who knows). It will be even better when we have an editor to create our own scenarios but I won't hold my breath on that one :)

• Like Like x 4
  23. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

I get annoyed when I see lazy recycled content. If the old horn recording were actually good to begin with, it'd be far less annoying... but they're not. They have a really obvious loop "pop" you can hear, in the original Rail Simulator, the locos that reused it in all the TS derivatives since then, and now from today's stream...

As I said, there are several different ways to legitimately (and for reasonable cost) obtain high quality recordings. I understand the absolute ideal situation is for core DTG employees to be on-site in North America recording this stuff with their own equipment, but since obviously that cannot be done 95% of the time, they can use other means. But instead, when it came to coming up with horn sounds, someone said "hey, some of these locos use the old <insert horn model here>, and we have those from Rail Simulator! Convenient and free!"

• Like Like x 2
  24. Anthony Pecoraro

They weren’t able to get references. They need references to make things right.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

I asked in stream if there were any photos of them working hand in hand w CN, got no response.The sounds arent great, but its a farcry above the crap UP geep.

I too agree the little "congrats" for turning lights on is a bit stupid, but DTG is trying to market this to any one it can, which isnt always good. Im not in the 100% diehard rivet counting cult, but im like 70% there - so that doesnt appeal to me, nor the collectibles, so i try to just ignore them

I received the route as a gift, so ill do my earnest to review/enjoy it

• Like Like x 6
  26. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

They did with Caltrain, which is farther. Just stating facts

• Like Like x 5
  27. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

It’s midnight now, going for it (PS4)

• Like Like x 1
  28. Random Railfan

I agree with you Schnauzahpowahz, I'm the same way. The game treats you like a casual gamer and not a real "simmer," even if you are. If you could just turn off the stupid gimmicks and hand-holding I'd probably play TSW a lot more. I spend the vast majority of my time with train sims on TS20 and OpenBVE, and barely even squeeze out two hours of TSW per month. The sheer amount of glitches, reused content, and hand-holding really turns me off. TSW's concept is excellent, but the execution is poor and the game is in a weird spot, being that it's not quite a casual "game," but not really a sim either.

• Like Like x 6
  29. Digital Draftsman

If they could get access to a Caltrain MP36, which is in daily service with major operator, they could definitely get access to a GP9 on a heritage railroad or museum. As well as Caltrain being in San Francisco there's also the Niles Canyon Railway, which has a GP9 that DTG could have recorded: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_5623

Most heritage railways and museums will gladly assist in such things for a small donation.

• Like Like x 8
  30. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

"If your going to do it do it right or not at all"

• Like Like x 10
  31. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Didn't DTG use that horrible horn and bell before on a release stream before and then sub it? I hope that's what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Anthony Pecoraro

Matt said that many short lines are still owned or run by larger companies who still say no.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Anthony Pecoraro

The reason for those objectives is because the services are also done by AI, which needs them.

• Like Like x 1
  34. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Lol, you get annoyed whenever people say anything remotely bad about DTG.

• Like Like x 9
  35. John Murphy

Let's hear it from Matt then.

• Like Like x 3
  36. Random Railfan

Uhhhhh... okay? That doesn't really make sense but okay then.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Digital Draftsman

Even if that is true for services, that doesn't have to be the case in scenarios. DTG could have included several switching puzzle scenarios which allowed the player to switch the train and spot the cars as they wanted to.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Anthony Pecoraro

There is a free roam scenario, where you can do whatever you want, as long as you stay in the industrial harbor area.

• Like Like x 1
  39. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Anthony is our local DTG fanboy who tells us what matt says.

• Like Like x 6
  40. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

So is the free roam scenario similar to the one on NEC? Is there any AI traffic?

• Like Like x 1
  41. Anthony Pecoraro

I appreciate that Matt is present on Discord and that he can answer our questions and we can offer assistance when he needs.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Anthony Pecoraro

No AI. You are in total control.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Random Railfan

I have a feeling this will be a disaster when it releases tomorrow. Seeing the negative opinions that have already formed I think some backlash is inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Anthony Pecoraro

Why does everyone focus on the negatives, as opposed to the positives?

• Like Like x 3
  45. John Murphy

Maybe because there's pretty much no positives to this route.

• Like Like x 4
  46. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

To be fair, the info he is giving us is widely available....it isn't just "what Matt said"

Your little thread was closed...can you not give that rhetoric a rest?

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Because they don't want to see the positives. It hasn't even been released and apparently it is a disaster, I suspect that is what some of them are hoping for. They all know better and think they have all the answers and if you try and be positive you get called juvenile names. They don't want you to be positive they just want to come on here and moan, quite sad really, I am sure a lot of people can see that.

• Like Like x 6
  48. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

They don't like it because he is enthusiastic and that doesn't fit in with their rhetoric. Much like playground bullies to be honest. They won't stop as they love preaching the same message amongst themselves.

• Like Like x 5
  49. hightower

hightower Guest

I think it’s about time everyone stopped playing the man rather than the ball, particularly from those that see themselves playing ‘defence’.

I’ve got no skin in this game as this DLC doesn’t appeal to me one bit, but I reckon it looks pretty good and I’m sure those who are into this kind of thing will like it. How it sells is something else entirely, it’ll be interesting how wide its appeal is.

It’s a real shame to see recycled sounds and rolling stock. My only observation is that if you can’t get the references and recordings to make something right, why make it right now? Wait until you can get them, then make it right.

That aside, I’m pleased to see DTG have addressed most (if sadly not all) non-core bugs with ECW and a couple of other fixes. Very welcome indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  50. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I’m stopping with buying this DLCs when it’s not Germany or finally a long route like 70 Kilometer again. I can buy much better things for 30€ as this awful DLC

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.