Thank You For The Oakville Dlc Devs!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by HuggernautNL, Feb 20, 2020.

1. HuggernautNL

HuggernautNL Member

Just want to say thanks to the devs for the Canadian Oakville DLC.

I feel this time everything is right.
    Finally some real switching action, fully focused on freight
    Loading the cars myself by hand is a real nice touch and is really cool to do!

The DLC itself is really good quality too, the sounds of the loco's are awesome, horn echos, engine roaring.
    The models too, the locos and wagons just look stunning!
    The whole route looks gorgeous. This time lighting is good too, not overly bright or dark!

I've been playing a few hours now and so far I haven't encountered any problems, even my achievements unlocked properly this time.

For a full five minutes I just stood next to the GP9RM listening to the engine and looking at it!

Thank you DTG, this DLC makes me very happy!

• Like Like x 11
  2. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Wait until you try to explore the whole route!

• Like Like x 5
  3. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

This route looks fantastic! Sure the end-to-end distance is rather short (when measured between Oakville and Hamilton) but that does not include the many yards and sidings. The Hamilton Industrial Zones alone probably double the overall length of track. I am really enjoying this. Is is me, or does the game seem to start up faster?

• Like Like x 1
  4. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

not good route

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I think the route itself looks fine, and the sprawling industries look like a hell of a time, but I'm sorry: the royalty free horn had me dying of laughter, and the people who keep praising it have me on the floor! The sounds need to be replaced in the future, not only because they are more than a decade old and sound off, but because the GP38-2's e-bell sounds like a steel bell!

P.S., I don't believe that horn is even a real horn. If anyone knows of its true origins, I would love to know. Yes, I know it was in Trainz way back, but Auran didn't create it and it doesn't sound like any Nathan or Leslie I know.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  6. HuggernautNL

HuggernautNL Member

You might be right about this.
    What I meant is that it at least sounds like a horn now, not some car claxon.

Obviously it can be better but it is a definite improvement over previous horns.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

The horn is at least as old as the SD40-2 that came with Kuju's Rail Simulator 13 years ago, but my personal suspicion is that it was probably for Microsoft Train Simulator 2, which would have come out 16 years ago if it hadn't been cancelled. Kuju were the original developers of this, and I think that many assets from this project were touched up and given new life in Rail Simulator. With that being said, DTG has so many horn sounds in their library it really does make you wonder why they went with the Kuju one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I too like the route. I agree that this horn is better than the horns on the previous Geeps.

• Like Like x 4
  9. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I 100% agree and thanks for making such a positive thread! I’m having a blast on this route. I’m amazed by the amount of people who can find a negative with anything instead of just trying to be positive especially on threads like this that encourage positivity. Everyone has the right to their opinions but trying to ruin someone’s good experience with searching out the negatives really is poor manners. I hope many of us are enjoying this route!

• Like Like x 12
  10. Anthony Pecoraro

Exactly! It’s like these people intentionally go looking for negative things!

• Like Like x 7
  11. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

The negativity on this forum has prevented me from making posts. I am shocked to see how negative this forum is. I have never seen such an awful forum. The constant whining, begging, bullying, and all-round complaining is really sad.

That being said, I really enjoy this DLC so far. It's a great experience. I play games to have fun. I don't expect anything to be perfect. If I want a perfect train experience, I would try to become an engineer and work on an actual train. One of my good friends works for the railway and loves his job.

I just lurk these negative forums looking for useful information. I've learned a lot of useful stuff from various regulars on here and am appreciative.

Can we actually see the harbour in this DLC? I sure hope so. I haven't had the time to explore everything.

• Like Like x 13
  12. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

You can faintly see the industrial harbor but the lake by the main yard in Hamilton is visible

There are a few notible historical things nearby, such as the ww2 destroyer HMCs Haida (im also a ship/history nut), which would be neat to have been added, just to the north of Ham yard.
    As well as some 18th century 'castle' (name evades me at present) just to the southwest of hamilton main yard

Next time im on gonna have a better look around w google maps on second screen

Its a large and populated area

• Like Like x 2
  13. hightower

hightower Guest

This is slightly off topic so I apologise, but those are some pretty outlandish statements and simply don’t describe these forums as I see them. Care to share some examples of whining, begging and....’bullying’?

Of course there is an element of whining (which is often justifiably born from sheer frustration) and there is plenty robust constructive criticism but I would refute entirely that there is any sort of bullying on these forums. There was one example (about a year ago) that I can think of that started to get into that sphere, where the treatment of a member was well over the line, but it most definitely won’t be what and who you’re thinking of, that I can guarantee.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  14. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I am bumping this thread because I genuinely want to see if there is more positive feedback on this OSD route.... especially from anyone that's put a large number of hours in. It's possible that people that love the route are having their voices drowned out, and that's not fair, in my opinion. Tell us:

- What are your favourite bits and features in OSD?
    - How does it compare to the other American routes?
    - Are you glad you bought the DLC, would you buy it again - is it what you expected....?
    - Will you be playing OSD lots and lots in the future...?
    - Have you taken any fabulous screenshots*.....?

*NB: If you have any night-time pictures in the snow, with lots of reflections from the main headlight - then I'd personally love to see them....!

--------
    Also - I'd suggest that people look at the first posting in this thread, showing the Hamilton area map......:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/osd-industries.20759/

- Does it matter to you that most of this area (indicated in thread above) is apparently off-limits...?
    - If you have put a lot of hours in around the Hamilton area, can you tell us if you have been able to access any/all of the indicated trackage...?

But mostly.... If you love the OSD route, please tell everyone why....

(and if you don't like OSD, then please let those that do have some reasonable space....)

• Like Like x 1
  15. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I'd also like to see these bullet point questions touched on. I'd genuinely like to see more posts like Huggernaut's that detail what it is they are enjoying about this route. This doesn't come from a place of malcontent, I genuinely want to see people enjoy this game. The attitude of "let's be all sunshine and rainbows and say nothing critical about this game" is just as bad as an attitude of pure pessimism and negativity .. it's just fake and does no one any favors. The criticism I've seen has been well deserved and mostly civil so I don't see any problem with it.

That being said, synthetic angel, if you haven't already I would check out Antonk_007's screenshot threat. He posted some really great captures that do a great job of showing off the visuals https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/antonk_007-screens.2302/page-4

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the "Baby Bullet" that came out. THAT is a quality locomotive and well worth the purchase in my opinion. The sounds are superb and the view from that cab is unmatched. It really did the Peninsula Corridor justice and it's now my most played route!

• Like Like x 2
  16. synthetic.angel

Thanks - I had a look at Antonk's stuff - the rolling stock does look good. No real arty winter shots anywhere yet. I am keeping an eye on the "screenshot competition" thread too, which should be getting lots of OSD entries.... in theory...

Now, um.... Penn Corridor is my least favourite route - just never got into it at all. Almost regret paying an additional £15 for it in the "Super Extreme Deluxe" version of TSW... (only because of lack of use - and I sort of like having it available as part of a mix....). But the BB is getting good reviews, even from people that I sometimes regard as being even more of a Cynical Bar Steward than myself... and your phrase "It really did the Peninsula Corridor justice and it's now my most played route!" is making me think about it.... Because I have read quite a few of your posts, and they tend to be fairly well grounded and objective... Hmmm.... I really should be waiting for the DB BR 155 to be fixed on RSN, before I buy any more DLC.... at least that's what I have told my bank..... LOL.... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

artsey winter shot engaged :)

20200223085505_1.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  18. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I appreciate the kind words! The BB offers semi fast services that don't stop at all stations versus the FP40 services so it's something a little different. Unlike the GP9, audio was sourced from the actual locomotive and the quality is outstanding and you really get a sense of the power this thing has whether you're idle or at speed. I am fully satisfied with my purchase.

Excellent shot Schnauzahpowahz!

• Like Like x 1
  19. synthetic.angel

Nice*...! Now we need a night-time one.....!

*NB: I really do mean - really very nice....!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Not wishing to get off topic, but I've also used the Peninsula Corridor route far more since the Baby Bullet came along. I've even driven the other trains more now that the AI traffic is more varied - it's made the route what it should have been all along.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Same for me

• Like Like x 2
  22. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Like I said often before. I like OSD. It has a lot of freight places on the mainline. It has a lot of freight yards. Even that these one in the industrial sector is not accessible. It makes so much fun to drive the Geeps in the harbor sector or getting the autoracks at Oakville. The sound from the diesel engines I like so much. At Bayview there is such a nice view at the Bayarea. The highway Bridge in the near looks very similar like in real. I'm satisfied that I bought OSD. A heavy diesel or passenger action (Go Train or Via Rail) would make that route perfect for me.

• Like Like x 5
  23. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

I've been pretty critical of the new route, mostly because it's too short. But the one that exists is pretty good.
    If you like shunting, it is almost perfect. I have played several hours with it and most working very good and its fun to play with.
    Also increases the realism of each route they give out. So this is pretty good. But i miss some things
    Long trains If I have a editor i could have done them myself. But I would recommend this route

• Like Like x 1
  24. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

I am enjoying OSD.
    I haven't done any of the scenarios or timetabled activities as yet, but have been walking around getting the collectables. sometimes I have jumped in to loco's and just shunted the various wagons around. It is a great way to potter about for a couple of hours..

I just hope that they work on the blocked areas (which need scenery improvements), but then that applies to all of the routes. Clearly, when the editor does appear people will want access to all areas, and this will require a significant amount of work to be done on each route to make those areas fit for use. It makes me wonder if this is why it is taking so long to arrive...

25. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Editing existing routes won't be possible anyway, Dovetail stated several times.

26. thearkerportian

Let me chime into this thread quickly: I was told to say thank you to DTG from one of my Steam subscribers. Since I uninstalled TSW I've become much more active creating content for another game again, much to the approval of the community there.

So yeah, Thank you for the Oakville DLC, Dovetail!

27. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Perhaps my message lacked clarity. My intention was to indicate that DTG would have to undertake some major upgrades to the released routes to enable all the blocked areas to be operable, prior to, or post, editor release...

28. synthetic.angel

Thanks for this (plus thanks to Jeannot41... - you are not sisters are you...?... and thanks to PlatChap).... Anyway - hush - don't tell anyone about this... but I might have to Buy The Bullet....at some point, when it is on sale, and after the DB BR 155 has been fixed. The broken 155 is also stopping me from buying the RRO route.... but.... back to topic....

... it is clear from Schnauza's screenshots that OSD has got some potential to look very very pretty. I might be tempted to buy it, when it is on very very deep sale (around the £8 price-point), but only then after the whole of the dock and bay area around Hamilton has been completely re-built, and is fully functioning. I do hope that a fix for the 155 comes first though - all they need to do there is tweak a bit of script to trigger a tunnel sound, for Google's sake....!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  29. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

No! 41 and my department in France.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Anthony Pecoraro

What’s wrong with the 155?

31. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Sounds turn off at every tunnel. It's really annoying.

32. thearkerportian

Bruh! We've understood the BR155 sound bugs you. Even Dovetail, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  33. synthetic.angel

The 155 is an absolutely fantastic genius bit of premium-priced loco DLC. The designer gave it too many brains, so it used to complain a lot every time it saw a tunnel - so DTG silenced it. And now, when the 155 enters a tunnel, all you can hear is The Sound of Silence.

I would love to tell everyone how wonderful this loco is, and encourage people to buy it... but I can't, because it is broken. And it is broken because nobody could be bothered to test it for longer than thirty minutes, on a PS4 at least.

• Like Like x 3
  34. synthetic.angel

Actually... it is the lack of sound with the 155 that bugs me (and everyone else that bought it). ;-P

And, yes, I mention it qute a lot..... As much as I can, because I am still waiting to be able to use this premium-priced loco, and it is still on sale in a broken state. And it really only needs to have someone look at it for a few minutes to fix it. If DTG can't fix the lack of sound on the DB BR 155, then there is absolutely no hope that they are able to fix anything else more substantial, like all of the H.A.I.R.Y.* stuff - like the Hamilton Area Industry Rail Yards.

-------------------------
    *EDITED TO ADD:
    The phrase "HAIRY", used to describe the Hamilton Area Industry Rail Yard BALLS UP (also known as "HAIRY BALLS") was conceived, composed, written and first used by the wonderful stujoy and was disgracefully used here without prior permission, for which I expect to be admonished countless times (ie. four times) - or twice per ball.

35. thearkerportian

Looks like we're in agreement after all. There's a reason I've uninstalled TSW, looks like you've found it :)

• Like Like x 3
  36. Anthony Pecoraro

The cutting out of sounds is more of a global issue. UE4 can only play 32 sounds at once. If another sound activates, one has to go away.

37. synthetic.angel

Hi Anthony

This is a very difficult reply for me to write, but I am going to try my very best, for you.

If anyone else had just sent me your reply, or if I was new to these Forums, then I would find it very difficult to understand why you have written the response that you have. This is because it sounds like you are saying some of the following things:

- Don't be silly, DTG can't do anything about this - it's a "global" issue, which explains everything for you
    - It's not DTG's fault at all, it's those horrible amateurs at Epic that haven't built a very good platform to build games on
    - As soon as 32 sounds are playing, that should be enough for you, you greedy ungrateful terror of a person....!

I don't think that you mean to say any of these above things. But a lot of people will think that you do, and wonder why you say it. And then they will get upset and write a lot of horrible things to you (and I really do wish they would all stop doing that, and give you more of a break).

So - all I am going to say is this.... Before you hit the Enter button (or Return...), or the "Post Reply" button.... can you please think about what you have written.... very carefully? Think about how other people (some of which have English as their second or third language), will understand what you are saying.... and whether what you are saying is meaningful as an answer.

Don't stop posting stuff......! Your posts are often very very useful - so keep going. But have a think about it, first. (And to be totally honest with you, I don't always take my own advice on this...., but I usually try to...). ;-O

To answer your point: I would expect that the DB BR 155 would be designed in such a way that it could run on RSN and make the right noises. If there is a limit of 32 sound channels, then I would expect the designer to know this, and not allow the sound outputs to exceed 32 channels. If this is difficult to manage, then I would expect the channels to be prioritised, and the least important channels to drop out first (say, a bird crowing in the background....) . I would expect the DLC to be tested to make sure that it works as intended, and if a bug is found that is critical to immersion, and reported, say, several years ago, that someone gets it fixed if the DLC is still on sale, at a premium price.

Many people might expect you to know the above explanation/answer before you mention general words like words "global" and highly specific concepts like "32 sounds". My guess is that this is part of what someone has told you, and that you didn't understand it (fully), or that you didn't understand that this would not solve my question: "Why doesn't the DB BR 155 work?"

• Like Like x 1
  38. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

You have to ask yourself then why build a train sim around an engine with limited sound channels?
    Seems like a dumb idea to me, sounds are important in a train sim.

Do Canadian train drivers do all the shunting around then chamber over the wagons faffing about with hoses loading/unloading ethanol etc?
    If so I hope it's reflected in their wages accordingly..

• Like Like x 1
  39. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

I doubt the 155 issue is related to 32 channels, if under normal circumstances all is okay then that is itself indicates that it isn't the 32 channel limit. It is important to remember what happens when you reach the channel limit, the sound with the quietest volume is the one which gets muted in favour of a louder sound therefore it is likely since you are unlikely to be able to distinguish exactly 32 sounds playing at once the removal of the quietest one will be basically unnoticeable. Since when entering the tunnel sounds start playing up, because there are no new sounds being played while you are in said tunnel then the issue must lie elsewhere.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  40. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Some premium grade patronising going on in this thread.

It is odd how a thread with some positive comments about the new DLC has turned into another DTG bashing thread, not like there are not plenty of those on here already! Some people really don't like others being happy!

• Like Like x 6
  41. synthetic.angel

Actually, eight channels is more than enough - well, it was for the Beach Boys, anyway.... UE has a default setting for 32 voices. And this is also more than enough, for every other single game ever made on UE. The problem that DTG's loco developers have is that nobody actually optimises stuff, or tests stuff - and the combined effect of sounds from the route and from the loco are never tested. And when the issue is flagged, they don't bother to fix it. And they continue to sell their broken stuff...

.....and this is important to this thread, because if a major sound issue (that is easy to fix) cannot or will not be fixed, then the possibility that Oakville will be re-built to the originally marketed specification, is "almost infinitely endlessly limitlessly" impossible to imagine.

42. synthetic.angel

Yes - sorry - I openly admit that this is me - and it was a bit of risk for me to take... I will refrain... in future... I had judged it to be worth it, but my judgment could be wrong.

Good point - back to the topic.

Now that people have had the whole weekend to have a really good go with Oakville.... are there any more people out there that can encourage me to buy it (despite the ongoing DB BR 155 issue)........?

43. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

So far I have run all scenarios (pretty good but if you want PS4 trophies you ain't going to get them, some are bugged as usual), run some services from Oakville to Hamiltion and back (pretty good but it's a straight A to B and may get a little less interesting over time). On the free roam scenario I wondered what everyone was fussing about until I set the points, set off, then 500yards later I get kicked back to the menu for being out of bounds. I agree that that is very very annoying as there is no clear indication from the route map where you can and can't go and each time you get kicked back you have to go in and set the loco up again!! That's about it so far. Would I recommend it? Hard to say. I don't totally regret buying it because it has given me something different to do in TSW but some of the yards not being accessible has really put a dampener on it. I remember watching the livestream last week thinking 'oooh look at that you could go off and explore up there' when I saw little branches tailing off among the industrial buildings. I had PSN vouchers on my account from Xmas so I didn't pay for it strictly out of my own pocket, I think had I needed to shell out the £25 cash then I probably would have sat and thought about it, as I have with the Baby Bullet which I haven't got yet.

Oh and I agree the 155 bug is totally annoying. Sound completely goes silent, including any PZB alarms which can be a bit hair raising when blasting along RSN!

• Like Like x 6
  44. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Since this route does emphasize switching (hooray!), long freight trains appear mostly as walk-ons (AI trains, that is), although there are trains to drive from Hamilton to Oakville and vice-versa. I can't say much else yet because I am trying to ration my consumption of scenarios and sessions to make the enjoyment last. In response to those griping about tracks that cannot be accessed (I haven't tested this yet and as a Missourian by birth must remain skeptical), here's hoping that scenario packs, similar to BR Heavy Freight, will exploit those areas. For now, there's plenty to do here.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

They will not, because the inaccessible areas of the map are not even properly modelled. It's just tracks and randomly-placed buildings covering the tracks.

46. synthetic.angel

Like in this image, as originally posted by Factor41:

That picture again.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  47. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

They spent the time to put it in and they can go back and fix the modelling of the areas that are not completely done, thus giving us the access needed. Why spend the time to put something in and charging us for what they have sort of completed but not entirely finished, if we will never get to use it this is just pointless.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Traxx

Traxx New Member

TSW Development in a nutshell

• Like Like x 5
  49. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

This is a positive thread, you have other thread to write negative things

• Like Like x 7
  50. HuggernautNL

HuggernautNL Member

I'm amazed that so many of you have responded in this thread and I am glad to see most of you are enjoying the Oakville DLC as much as myself.

And although I can (partially) agree with some of the criticisms posted in this thread, I have to say I'm a little disappointed it is turning into a long list of complaints again.

Yes, we know it's not perfect. But the stuff that is there is cool and working.

The abrupt boundaries in freemode are a bit cumbersome indeed, but once I figured them out I am having a blast to just switch and shunt around, pretending to load and unload and build consists, handing them over to the longhaulers.

About the DB BR 155: it's my absolute favourite loco. Beautifully modeled and the inside looks super realistic, love the green dial lights as well as the startup and fan sounds.
    I do have to agree it has that annoying silence bug.

But hey, don't let 10 seconds in a day ruin the other 23 hours right?

• Like Like x 6