Oakville Subdivision Bugs/issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TinTin_57, Feb 20, 2020.

1. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I am also having the same problem with the GP9 where the amps go to 0 for no reason, then slowly come back, it happens quite often, seems to happen most frequently after you make a throttle adjustment.

Also, and I've only had this happen one time, the horn on the GP38 stopped working properly, when you activated the horn it would start to sound, then the sound would just disappear. It fixed itself the next scenario I started, haven't been able to replicate it since.

2. Matzo

Matzo Active Member

I've also had the horn issue, sometimes it's even got stuck on!

3. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

4. Poltergeist

Poltergeist New Member

The “Outstanding Service” trophy for completing 20 services is not working. I have completed 22 services according to the list of services, 21 services according to the route summary page, and still have not been awarded the trophy.

Attached Files:

5. synthetic.angel

You might have to do 20 services from the Timetable Mode, to get this trophy, whatever the "counters" say.

Even if they are listed as being completed(with medals, AP scores, etc.), I think you'll need to launch (and complete) x20 different services from the Timetable list. Only these will be counted. That's my best guess, because I doubt that they've changed the trophy/achievement coding since GWE and RT/NEC were made, when everything was timetable mode, pretty much.

And it is highly unlikely that they tested these trophies/achievements on their own test-bed systems.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Poltergeist

Poltergeist New Member

I’ve done them all via timetable mode.

7. synthetic.angel

x20 different services - uniquely different...?

If you have done x20 different services, uniquely different (counting them out manually from the list...) - from Timetable Mode - then - I am sorry, but I have absolutely no other ideas to give you (well... that I'd want to give you, because I would not want to waste your time further - I am not going to suggest a new profile...... for instance)

8. Poltergeist

Poltergeist New Member

All were done from timetable mode and are all uniquely different. I’m not sure why it isn’t working. Thank you for your input.

9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Sometimes trophies take time to come through. You may find that the trophy pops up at some random point in the future, when you launch the game or while you are driving another train, for example. I got a LIRR trophy pop up while driving a train on NTP. One popped up when I was in the PS4 menu page.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Poltergeist

Poltergeist New Member

The trophy just popped today after I got the “Safety First” trophy on Rapid Transit. It never showed up on the screen but now appears in the trophy list.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deltic00

Deltic00 Active Member

They need to get rid of those persistent pop ups that come up every minute or so asking if you want to abandon the service... If i pressed no the first time, it most likely means i still mean no 60 seconds later.. Maybe making it so we can manually back out of a service instead of that persistent pop up that only seems to show itself when you dont want it to..

• Like Like x 3
  12. synthetic.angel

Hi TinTin

Just to save you time (maybe) - further to my posting above with my slightly bananas idea that the method of launching the route makes a difference with trophy bugs, I have now worked out (through testing) that it wasn't a bananas idea, after all. I was close. Still a yellow fruit. My idea was a lemon. So don't bother trying what I proposed - it probably makes no difference at all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes, I hadn't got around to it as it happens. Have been playing a lot of other stuff where I do get the rewards ;-)

14. TinTin_57

I also wasn’t awarded this 20 service trophy and still haven’t got the one for complete all scenarios.

15. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

This same issue is affecting me too, even after the game update just rolled out today for the PS4. In my case, I couldn’t load tankers 2, 4 and 5... the needle on the meter on the pump stations for those tankers simply stopped moving and the tankers then never filled up. I can’t even complete this scenario due to the severity of the bugs in it. And that is NOT what I expected considering the money I’ve been spending on this game lately.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  16. TinTin_57

I retried it yesterday too, exactly the same issue with the same tankers

17. Stockton Rails

Thanks for letting me know you're running into the same issue. Question- did you run this scenario mult times- if so, did this bug appear in each of those runs? I only tried it once so far... I’ll test it at least 1-2 more times.

18. Stockton Rails

...general question to folks who’ve posted bugs in this thread:

Do the DTG folks typically (or ever) respond to the Oakville bugs posted here? I ask because I’ve been banging on this game for a few weeks now (Caltrain and Oakville routes only)- and I’ve got at least a handful more issues to report, and I’m trying to figure out how to best report that to DTG so that I can move forward on some of these issues. I already thought about creating a new thread on what I’ve run into- just wanted to get your thoughts first. Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  19. synthetic.angel

Well, as a canny Irishman once told me when I asked for directions that time I was exploring Dublin .... "You shouldn't start from here....". And the same advice applies in this case...... because you are in the "PS4" section of the Forums. And worse - you are in the PS4 section of the Forums for discussing bugs and issues.

This section of the Forum was created specifically to stop..... eeeuggghh.... console players... from polluting the PC section of the Forums, and bothering them with low priority bugs that might only affect .....eeeuggghh.... console players...

You have literally come to the absolute worst place to report a bug or issue - because it is the one place where your bug or issue is guaranteed to be completely ignored by those with the power to fix it.

If you want something fixed then your best strategy is to pop over to the PC section of the Forums, if you can get through the security gates... pretend to be a PC user.... and make your issue known there.... but.... for Google's sake... don't tell them that you arrived there by visiting this ghetto area first.... And then... and only then.... if the issue happens to be something that is also affecting PC simulatees... then your bug or issue...might get fixed. Eventually. Maybe.

Best of Luck to You. And if you don't come back, we'll remember you, and your troubles, in our folk songs of woe, pity and forlorn hope. Because woe betide you if your bug and issue is.... eeeeugghhh.... console specific.... and they find out..... and you waste the time of a Developer that could have been trying to get their highest score in Candy Crush. Woe woe woe betide you....

• Like Like x 2
  20. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

No, they mainly use the forums as a marketing platform and generally ignore bugs posted here, particularly console-specific ones. To log a support ticket, visit https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Tickets/Submit - that will put it on their support system and is the first step in the process. The second step is them saying, "Yes, we are aware", and the third step is the ticket being closed. It's the same outcome, but at least there's a process to it.

• Like Like x 2
  21. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As my learned friends have stated above, it does appear that bugs that are specific to consoles are further down the list of priorities for fixing. I believe that it is more likely that there is less expertise and console dev kit time to devote to bug fixing, rather than a lack of desire to fix console bugs, whereas there are plenty of PCs knocking about the DTG office, and people who can spare the time, for PC-only and cross-platform bugs to be looked at. I hope this improves in the future.

I wouldn’t let that put you off reporting bugs through the support ticket system and posting about them on the forum. It is good for all forum users to see the bugs others have encountered, and some bugs do and will get fixed. There are though some rather major bugs that are console specific that have been left unfixed for a very very long time, and some things aren’t so much bugs as idiosyncrasies and limitations of the power of consoles.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  22. TinTin_57

Now now Factor41 you forgot ‘you’re the only one to report this’ and ‘restore licenses and perform a PS4 disk rebuild’.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

if you are talking about petrolchemical chaos i did this scenario again yesterday in the journey and had no problems with it. i filled 5 tanks up at flack road and 10 tanks at hobsons no problem whatsoever. there just might be a slight problem moving the 10 tanks for the first time, the brakes dont come off. so what i do is unhook the engine, drive away for a few yards then come back and hook back up, then they will move no problem

24. Stockton Rails

Thanks to everyone who responded to my note- I appreciate all of the info and your perspective.

It doesn’t sound very promising for me right now to get the support I need on my list of issues. I had already thought about opening up a formal ticket for these issues, and that will likely be my next step (probably soon). But I’m a paying customer (all of us with consoles are)- no different than the folks with PCs. I won’t settle for less than what I deserve as another paying customer in the sea of folks that invest their money in this game. Not sure where all of this is heading at this point, but I’ll give it my best shot and keep you guys posted.

• Like Like x 2
  25. grantrayadams

grantrayadams New Member

I have the same issue.Everything was ok before 1.38 now trophies don't pop for me and the petro chemical chaos is the same as you are having.

• Like Like x 1
  26. synthetic.angel

You are certainly right (and I was a bit too polemic....) and that it is actually worth raising bugs in the Forums, as a sort of sanity check - or to get (usually very helpful) advice from Forum members on solving problems that are not bugs. Thanks for reining me in (quite correctly....!). I just think that this discussion should be merged for PC, XBox and PS4 users.

The only thing that I am not convinced by, in your post, is the idea that PS4 or XBox have "power limitations" or power issues, or "idiosyncracies". I have TSW on PS4 and PC, and I can assure you that the PS4 is performing perfectly well in terms of power - in fact, in many ways, far better than a very powerfully over-specified PC.

I think that the idea that any particular issue is a "PS4 problem" or a "problem with XBox" is usually a sort of semi-consciously delivered propaganda. And I do mean this quite literally. When DTG say "That is a problem with PS4", they are trying to imply that PS4 can't handle something... or at least, if that is how the message is incorrectly received, then DTG are not in a hurry to clarify it. Because the truth is actually "That is a problem with the way DTG failed to port the software to PS4, and test it to see if it worked".

PS4 and XBox are easily powerful enough to handle absolutely everything in TSW. And the PS4 architecture is easily understandable and entirely stable, and easy to develop for. It just comes down to whether or not DTG can be bothered to test stuff - and it turns out that they can't be bothered to test stuff for PS4 (and in many cases, with 3rd party developers, haven't even acquired the dev kits to do any testing).

• Like Like x 2
  27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, what I probably meant to say was the limitations of this game as ported over to consoles in the way it currently is, and was in mind of stuff you can’t do with controllers and minimal keyboard support as much as I was about the short shadow distances and less detailed scenery. I only have the livestreams, other youtube videos and screenshots to base my assessment of how well PCs run the game, so I see the slightly better graphics, many more passengers, the in-game progress popup being scrollable, and some more keyboard shortcut actions that consoles lack, plus what the developers say themselves about having to be more careful with content on consoles. I was trying to say that those things aren’t really bugs as they have been designed that way by DTG for the console versions.

28. synthetic.angel

I will eventually develop my position/view a bit further, as and when I do some more comparative testing on PS4 Pro and PC. One advantage on PC, maybe, is that you can reduce the load to well below the PS4 Pro default, and maybe get better/smoother running on PC - because you are asking the PC to do much less work than the PS4 Pro. This is - funnily enough - the opposite of what some people would have you believe.

My findings so far is that the PS4 Pro has a far better method of managing the load passing through the GPU, even if the PC GPU costs twice as much as an entire PS4 Pro....and even if the data is being called from PC SSD compared to PS4 Pro HDD.... And I am not joking here. The PS4 Pro is delivering better performance, with far less advanced kit. It's far easier on the eye to run on PS4 Pro, and I am fairly tolerant when it comes to missing frames.

It will be interesting to see if DTG will co-operate with Sony and allow PS4 TSW to use the PS5 power (including variable chip frequency....!) - although I am fairly sure it would not make one iota of difference. The bottleneck with TSW is with the software. And frankly - let's be honest - there are some games at the end of the PS3 era that are more intense than TSW - but they have been very leanly developed and were well-optimised. Whereas TSW is a horror show of poor optimised use of available hardware. If you had infinite power, TSW would not perform better.

TS2020, however... is a different matter... with a powerful PC you can concurrently run half a dozen very very long trains at the same time, and they'll run as smooth as you could possibly want - if you have the power. The environment is much less demanding, and this allows the developers to get away with very poor optimisation, and yet still get results - if you have the power. Translating the poor optimisation methods to an environment that uses UE has not worked, and it won't work. It won't work now, and it won't work on PS9, XBox Ultra 2040, or with a seventeenth generation Intel i23, with 256Gb RAM and a 128GB GPU, and a heat sink for a nuclear submarine. This is why I think there is a myth about TSW being better on PC***.

At some point you just have to design the game properly. Otherwise it is like asking the computer on The Heart of Gold to make a nice cup of tea. And as we know - that didn't end well.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ***NB: One fab thing that you can do in TSW on PC is zoom in on the controls - and this grants you a better LoD at very close distances - it's really nice. But you need a mouse, or a decent trackpad.... But that's about it... in terms of benefits. There is nothing stopping DTG mapping the keyboard to PS4/XBox - in fact, if they did that properly (to include the apostrophe), then you would be able to work-around part of the problem with Class 47 on console (the brake bit, but not the power bit).

• Like Like x 1
  29. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

synthetic.angel

Some good points here for sure.

I'm not totally surprised about the PS4 GPU load optimization- i mean that's the entire point of consoles, right? Getting the most out of limited-spec parts by maximizing efficiency- i'm no hardware expert, but you know what i mean...

The controller mapping is one of my biggest gripes about the game. If Frontier can map Elite Dangerous controls to console that not only work well, but are fully customizable, there's no excuse for this mess. I've many hundreds of hours in that game on Xbox so i'm talking from experience.

Exhibit A (and really the only one needed): the only contextual button mapping (i think) is via clicking RS to toggle through views, which is the least intuitive and most clumsy implementation i can think of. Four contextual face buttons would give you at least 16 additional functions without going into a submenu. It's mind boggling!

Ok just one more- there's the dreaded confirmation of "do you want to give up this service" being mapped to "A", which is mapped to just about every other on-foot functoon...smh.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel here- just copy what works from other gamea!

+1000 for the HHttG reference

• Like Like x 1
  30. Stockton Rails

...for folks running into this same issue with Petrochemical Chaos, I just opened up a ticket for it today- will keep everyone posted as we (hopefully) move forward on resolving this issue.

31. TinTin_57

Thanks. I’ll also log one. I also recorded it on my channel. As you can see here I tried everything to get the problematic ones done including climbing up their ladders. No joy at all. Stockton Rails you can refer DTG to the video if your issue is the same and it sounds so

• Like Like x 1
  32. TinTin_57

Forgot to say, ran this once when it was released, worked no problem (apart from the launch bug where the hose didn’t stay attached) then since the last patch I’ve run it twice with the same result as in my video above

• Like Like x 1
  33. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I had to stop watching your video, the stress was getting to me. I’m so glad I didn’t buy this route.

• Like Like x 1
  34. TinTin_57

Yeah and I tried literally every way to get on those tankers. The only two things I regret buying at full price are this route and the Amtrak Cab Car dlc

35. Stockton Rails

Really appreciate the video on this... and yeah, this is exactly what happened in my run (incl the issues getting on the tanker tops from the walkway, etc). I will add a link to your video in my ticket- it shows everything I was running into, and apparently what other PS4 folks are running into after the 1.38 update.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Stockton Rails

Hilarious- I cracked up when I read this post!

• Like Like x 1
  37. TinTin_57

And the stress was worse doing it believe me lol

• Like Like x 1
  38. synthetic.angel

I don't have Oakville, but I have a Quick Q for you....:

If you are in a (preferably working) ethanol loading scenario/service.... and you do not flick the switch for the pump... but you do try to operate the valve-wheel... does it behave in exactly the same way as the now broken fuelling valve-wheel in the WSR Class 33 Pit Stop scenario...? By any chance....?

Can you reproduce the flickering/broken valve-wheel on WSR Class 33 Pit Stop, in the Oakville DLC... and if so... how.....?

39. Stockton Rails

Just a quick update for everyone running into this Petrochemical Chaos issue:

I added the link to the youtube video to my open ticket, and tech support did get back to me on the ticket a day or so back. They said they’re aware of the issue, and it has already been filed as a bug to be worked on. They gave me no info on when it will be resolved- just said it would possibly be fixed in a ‘future update’.

I also asked them about how the ‘chapters’ and ‘scenarios’ in the sim are tested before rollout of new code revs... just sent that note out today. Was trying to make it clear that they really should already be doing this to make sure these obvious issues with the sim never reach customers with new code. Will be interesting to hear back from them on this point... will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 1
  40. TinTin_57

Thanks mate. Glad the video was of use to back up the ticket

41. brodeyness4

brodeyness4 Active Member

Am I the only one having issues with the CN GP38-2 horn? It only makes the sound of it releasing after using it only a few times... then theres breaks in both of the horns like they didn't care about how the soundfiles were overlayed...

42. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I think the sound engine is kinda wack in TSW.

43. Stockton Rails

...for anyone running into the issue with filling up the tankers (or even getting on them) in Petrochemical Chaos, you might want to try that scenario again and see if it now works after the latest update. I just tried it again tonight and I was able to complete it with no issues filling up mult sets of tankers. Not saying it’s really fixed at this point with only one more test on my side, but worth testing it out again just to be sure. Please post your test results in this thread... good luck!

Update, 5/3/2020: I was able to complete Petrochemical Chaos a second time today, with no issues at all filling up any of the tankers I worked with. I’m still not sure this issue is really fixed at this point, but it looks promising so far.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  44. Kinimod

Kinimod New Member

Hi,

i just bought the addon.
    Unfortunately I can't get any further with the 1st tutorial.
    I switch back to interior view, nothing happens.
    I have the PS4 version on the PS5.
    Is this known or do you have any tips?

Thanks very much!

45. johnmsaylor

johnmsaylor New Member

I play on PS4 and yes, it's a known issue. Just skip that intro tutorial. It doesn't stop you from continuing unless you just want all the trophies.

46. TinTin_57

Wow this is an old thread. When I re-read it I was shocked at the level of detail we all went to to try and work stuff out. Has anything really changed over the years?

• Like Like x 2
  47. Kinimod

Kinimod New Member

That's right, thanks! It's stupid for the trophies, but you can continue the journey after canceling the 1st tutorial from the beginning. :)

• Like Like x 1
  48. Xemik

Xemik New Member

It's beyond stupid on the trophies, it's utterly unacceptable, but typical of DTG. Nobody has this trophy on PS4 and it's just not right. Sony should do something about all the devs who chuck out games which don't unlock trophies when they should. It makes a mockery of the system.

Sure many players don't care about them, but there are a large number of us that do.

49. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Quite the interesting necrobump, indeed. It tells me that I am a moron by producing extensive videos and bug reports ("In DTG format, please, screenshot and text walls won´t do!") so that the DTG devs know exactly where to look at. They give a rat´s arse anyway. Nothing has changed over the last three years. This age old thread plays the same chorus like the new ones.

Pipe, you idiot, you´re wasting you time ...:(

• Like Like x 1
  50. Gianluca

Gianluca Active Member

Getting stuck at red signal in scenario "Equipment move"