PC Would You Support A Subscription Based Service For Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Easy301, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Assuming DTG offered something like all current content and all new content upon release for a subscription based fee do you think you would support it? I was thinking about this earlier and I'm rather curious on how an option like this would be received by the community.

Obviously, this would work better with something like TS and its vast amount of DLC, but if a subscription "game-pass" based service was available for TSW would you support it if it was offered along-side the option of buying all the content outright?

Thanks,
    Steve.

2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

This question was posed by another user and the results were not in favor of a subscription service, I myself prefer the current system, works well for me and I do not get stuck with something that might not interest me.

• Like Like x 8
  3. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

I'll stick with the current system as well. It's far better to pay for something once so you can play it forever, then to pay for it weekly/monthly/yearly in my opinion.

• Like Like x 5
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I wouldn't fancy a subscription system at all, perfectly happy with the "traditional" way it works now, where you pay for it and then have it forever.

• Like Like x 4
  5. TigerT

TigerT New Member

No, I wouldn’t pay for a subscription service. I’m quite happy just buying the content that I want. Unlike some on here I think it’s quite fairly priced especially in the sales and then I have it forever, not just while I keep paying month after month.

It might be more attractive for TS2020, with much more content, but it doesn’t appeal to me. I’m happy to pick and choose the routes I actually want.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

No, and particularly not having already bought a significant amount of DLC. If they offered to completely refund ALL of the money I'd paid so far, and let me have unlimited access for £5/mo, then I might consider it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I don’t like that idea.

• Like Like x 3
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If it was a subscription that you have to keep up to use the products the it’s a definite no*. If it was a subscription where you get to keep the products forever but you get everything released and save a considerable sum, then as long as it doesn’t affect people who buy what they want, when they want, then I can’t see any harm in it.

*Subscription models that you need in order to keep using a product are great for ongoing businesses that use the products a lot but for home users to have to continuously pay to use the same product is wrong. Microsoft want me to pay £80 a year to use the two spreadsheets I need on my new iPad despite owning their products on my Mac. They can do one.

• Like Like x 4
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

So far, the only add-on I have not purchased is the LIRR route, but that's enough to turn me against subscription buying.

• Like Like x 1
  10. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

One concern would be: it'd essentially force things to be released on a strict schedule, ready or not.

Obvious this "may" happen to an extent already, but I think a lot of people would rather DTG were prepared to take their time, let dates slip if necessary, and make sure what they released is right. Adding subscribers who are upset that they haven't received their monthly route (or whatever) wouldn't help.

• Like Like x 2
  11. esteeleiv

esteeleiv New Member

I'd be worried about Dovetail screwing up DLC's, I guess though they are better now than they were back then?
    I've heard stories but hadn't bought anything till recently.

12. hightower

hightower Guest

13. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

14. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the laugh this morning.

DTG has issues with updating and releasing things on a regular basis with the permanent purchasing option; nothing they are doing would indicate that they'd be able to step up their game on a subscription service.

I've been playing TSW since the beta back in 2017, and have amassed 84 hours in it, making it one of my least played train sims. In the about 36 months that I've been playing it, I've averaged 2.34 hours per month, or one evening each month on TSW. Even if a subscription cost $2/month (which I can assure you DTG wouldn't charge), that'd be $1 per hour of play. At $6 per month (more likely), I'd have paid $216 to play 84 hours of this sim.

15. jerry

jerry New Member

It really depends. With the upcoming Microsoft release of Flight Simulator 2020, there have been some speculation it might include a subscription model. As a long time flight simmer, I've literally amassed thousands of dollars of payware add-ons in the FSX - P3D timeframe. I don't expect any of these add-ons to be compatible with the new sim, nor do I really want them to be as-is. We need a full and complete new sim without any carryovers from the old content.

Also, I'm the type of gamer that I only really need one of each genre. In other words, I'm only interested in one flight sim, one farm sim, one train sim etc. So once the new sim is released and if it proves to be everything we hope it will be, then most likely P3D will be dead to me.

So in the example of flight sim, if MS offered a subscription based service and that granted me access to all the content, it might actually be worth it to me. A subscription price of around $15-20 per month would take me many years before I paid more than what I currently have invested in FSX/P3D.

With regards to TSW and TS. I only have a handful of DLC's from TS and I rarely play TS these days. I'm slowly catching up on the TSW DLC. The value add of a subscription model could be of interest to someone who hasn't invested a ton of money in DLC, but is a serious player who over time might spend hundreds or thousands.

16. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I play a lot. But it depends on how much it will cost and what you get for it. I am not opposed, but the advantage is that all DLC you payed for are more or less yours forever....

17. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Not at all. We have far too many subscriptions these days. I don't need yet another monthly commitment. I much prefer to buy what I like and keep it.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The rapid influx of software-as-a-service needs to die. No more anti-consumer subscription models.

• Like Like x 5
  19. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how it would work. First, as its (hopefully) early days for TSW, there isn't a huge amount of content yet and we've each probably got most of what we want (of the current content). Secondly, unlike FS2020 which will have huge amounts of complicated worldwide scenery for download, TSW won't.
    Okay, maybe if the subscription based service for TSW was for multiplayer, was cheap, and was independent of DLC. Or it included DLC but we got a Steam voucher for the amount already spent on TSW so far, and it was optional.
    Multiplayer is the only reason I can think of a subscription model working for TSW, and whether I was interested in that would depend on how multiplayer was implemented.

20. rftech

rftech New Member

No!Absolutely not.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SRich

SRich New Member

No!!!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

23. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Depending on the sub cost and the rate of DLC which is being released.....I am quite open to the idea to be honest. So far in 2020 we have seen 4 DLC releases and we are only in March. so DTG are really pumping it out this year. It would be good to have the option of not having to buy them all outright and still be able to play them

I know the option of using the steam refund system exists.....but I would like to stay away from using that ad nauseam if possible. I still want to contribute towards TSW's development.

24. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

At the moment it's for TSW 2020 Edition, which I'm assuming only includes the routes that come with the standard edition. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense at the moment because you have the 2 payment models in place at the same time. I can't see this being taken up for TSW except for new users who might want to casually dabble in some train driving. I think the subscription model would be more likely to take off if Dovetail release a brand new game with it from the start and there was no other choice.