Handling Of Bnsf Content In Dlc

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cyclone, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

We need some way to handle DLC that uses BNSF-stamped content not available in the U.S. For instance, I have found a Feather River collection that uses the GP9. Problem is the GP9 is not available in Canada because there's a big, fat BNSF stamp on the left side. We need a non-stamped version of the GP9 so that everyone globally can use it. Further, we need routes like Marias Pass, Cajon Pass, and Stevens Pass able to be acquired globally as well, meaning revisits need to be done to these. These routes are commonly used, sometimes just for equipment, in DLC and it means that people like me outside the U.S. are unable to enjoy a lot of the workshop content. I'd much rather at this point see scenario designers not use this content, but it continues to be used and it's making it impossible for many to try the content they produce. We need to bring things back into a situation where there are options for everyone here; either that or strike a deal with BNSF since you already sell over $11K worth of DLC.

Oh, and fun fact: several DLC available to me in the store require these unavailable routes. It's actually hilarious if it wasn't so frustrating. No way I'll ever buy those DLC without the required content..

2. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

the content is to old for DTG to care about. sorry

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cyclone

Unfortunately, that seems to be the answer for any content that is older than 3 previous DLC in age. By then they are focused on the new DLC. All they have to do is remove the BNSF stamp and push an update. It provides a possibility for worldwide customers to then be able to buy it and play all those custom scenarios they currently cannot play on the workshop - and for me, looking through for instance High Iron Simulations, a full half of what I've gone through so far requires US-only assets. Including, ironically, Canadian content (CN Rail). Saskatchewan Potash is one I, in Canada, cannot play because BNSF is part of the pack that includes the CN engine. This to me is unacceptable and, regardless of DLC age, needs addressing.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Getting on your high horse because You cannot buy something won't make you many friends.
    There are a lot of trains that are not commercially available and the community works towards solutions

You say a GP9 is not available because it has BNSF on the side.
    Not all GP9s in the game are BNSF
    Soldier Summit Route has a GP9, The Springfield Line has a GP9,
    And if you don't want the route you can get a D&RGW SD9 Loco by itself

If you look on Railworks America you will find a GP9 for free
    http://railworksamerica.com/index.p...anadian-pacific-gp9s&catid=18:engine-repaints

Peter

5. Cyclone

It's not about not wanting the route. I want the route so I can play all these surely fantastic scenarios. I don't care about the train cars and engines, I'm sure some are in various packs (heck, I found the US and European asset packs gifted to me as part of another purchase, which shocked me LOL).

Just to be clear, the thing that is bothering me is that Marias Pass is not available, and it seems DTG does not wish to do anything to make it more widely available. It makes me wonder if they are working on a remastered version, but that would still not help me play the scenarios in the workshop. I can only hope that someday Marias Pass will become available worldwide again, or at least be added in the Canada area since BNSF is known in our region.

Also, thanks for the train car tips. Yeah, when I finish my researching, I plan to figure out which scenarios I can Frankenstein to still be able to play them. I just know the routes I cannot acquire are unavailable. Another of the boring lists I plan to work on will cover where all the trains are located in which pack so I can figure out what to replace with what in the scenarios.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  6. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

actually i think for cp gp9 i think you need the RSC gp9 set. even know Soldier Summit Route has a GP9 it might not work depending on how the person use the made the repaint. i think there some file names linked to that repaint cp gp9. i could be wrong.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I doubt that any BNSF Content will be made available just because it is known somewhere. The route is now 7 years old, released in 2013, and BNSF have only granted a License for DLC to be sold to someone in the US - I don't expect that to change.
    The CN GP9 installs to Railworks\Assets\RSC\GP9Pack01
    I think that is the stand alone version but I might be wrong.

Peter

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  8. Cyclone

I agree. Doesn't change the fact that I don't think enough was done to secure a wider license. Granted, maybe they tried, but BNSF doesn't wish to grant it because DTG themselves are not from the U.S. I dunno. Still strange that I can get BNSF content in other games, which makes it all the more surprising.

Hopefully, once I get going, we can find some way where I can show off the content. It's not merely about owning the route personally, it's about showing off user content. That's what I plan to make a focus of my explorations of this game.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You have just found the game and you think you might have just missed out on the Marias Pass route
    You did - by 5 Years as it was 2015 when the restriction came in to effect.
    Unless one of the US Developers releases the Marias Pass then you will not see it.

If you wish to show off your own content there is a page for pictures on this forum and there are no restrictions
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-simulator-2019-screenshots.3013/

Peter

10. Cyclone

Yeah. It sucks. I'm going to try to figure out a solution to this in the future, but for right now I still have a lot to play with, especially since there is a new sale that is going to unlock 50-100 scenarios or so if I plan my purchases carefully; the only question is how much it will cost me. LOL

And nothing wrong with asking about the older route. I hope it comes back in the future. Do we know who the US developer is for it? I know DTG is the publisher role. Since I don't have the manual for it (obviously, since I can't buy it), I don't have access to that information.

11. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I think it was done by Dovetail themselves, at least according to the Steam page, and the manual has no mention of any other developers. Screenshot_20200305-133747_Steam.jpg

12. Cyclone

That might explain why it's pulled. If it was a third party, the third party might have held the license. Interesting web here.

13. Blacknred81

Doubt it, Stevens Pass has the same issues, and the developers behind it have no interest in making an Unbranded one.

14. Cyclone

That says a lot since they developed it themselves. LUL

15. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

That's interesting becuase Steven's pass was developed by G-Trax/GreatNortherner. Then 6 years later, with the intro of the Hi-Line, Michael made a global version without BNSF markings.

16. Cyclone

Oh, I can't see the manual for the routes in question. So it's up to whoever the person helping them is to remove the BNSF stuff? It will be interesting if that happens, since even in the workshop I see scenario designers often not produce separate versions. Not a big deal since I'll eventually learn how to change the unavailable stock, though. LOL I just wish I could get to play on Marias Pass without having to worry about whether I'm from America, as that seems to be one of the favourites for scenario design or for rolling stock on other routes.

17. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Stevens Pass was made by a full team - Rick Grout, Michael Stephan, Wayne Campbell, and Jim Friedland, and as such the four of them would probably have to come together to reach an agreement. The age of the route also factors into things - the devs might want to make some other changes to the route, or possibly even people expecting significant updates to the route, and this drives up dev time for what should be a simple patch. The Hi-Line is I think all Michael, with some of the assets being provided by Rick, and so he has pretty much ultimate say in the fate of the logos. If you wanted, you could try messaging ricksan on the RWA forums and asking what, if there are any, their plans are for the route, although I imagine the response would be the same canned one we've always gotten.

18. Blacknred81

Another thing to remember is that G-Trax is currently working on unbranding the Bessemer & Lake Erie Route since that got taken off the store due to the CN license not covering the B&LE.

19. Cyclone

Oh right, I saw that in the DLC listings but not able to be purchased. I'll have to look for it in the future when it comes back up.

20. NEC Railfan

What I'm concerned about is that I already bought it before it was taken down, so will it take the markings off my locos?

21. Cyclone

They probably have a plan for that question. As in, anyone who bought it before it disappeared can keep it, and a new version will replace it for anyone else. You might get the new version of the train so, if it's used anywhere, you can still play their work.

The other possibility is they give existing owners the separated loco for free, update the route, then have the trademarked version replace itself back into the folder where the loco is. New buyers don't get that loco. Frankly, I'd like to see that with Marias Pass currently so I can get it without BNSF.

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

NO,
    Anything you have stays as yours.
    I have BNSF locos because I bought them before the outside US Selling Restriction came in to force
    I also have the newer version of the DTG Class 390 - again I bought it before it was withdrawn

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  23. NEC Railfan

:D What a relief!