Vehicles And Pedestrians At Crosswalks

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by matthewbguilford, Mar 9, 2020.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I think this is something that could be added to TSW, something small that I think would really make a big difference across all routes and that is...Vehicles and people waiting at crossings. I like to sound my horn when approaching a crossing and I always have this empty feeling when going across them. Having a couple cars and/or people waiting for my train to go by would be something small that would add a lot. I mostly think of it when I’m on Peninsula corridor, I get excited to see a car but they always turn down the side street when they get to one and it feels lonely when your passing a dozen crossings. I think even static cars and people would be more then okay. I really liked when watching a Train Simulator 2020 video that you actually got rated on using your horn and I think that would be an awesome addition, then again I also really like the TS2020 map UI that conveys when your coming up to a station or a crossing. Thank you everyone!

• Like Like x 11
  2. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

That would be nice but I think you'd be opening up a can of worms. Other people want animated crossings which also makes sense. Then you'd have to make the people and cars cross the tracks when the crossings are up. Then some irresponsible train drivers (not us, of course) will try to run them over and have accidents :). Ok, I'm being a little silly.. At the moment the only place you see people in the game are on platforms (even if there are no trains for them to go on ie. Canadian Oakville Subdivision). So we're going to want to see people everywhere. Then you'll see more twins wearing the same clothes and doing nothing in particular. Will all this make the game look better? Perhaps. If it's done well it has the potential to but I think a lot of time needs to be spent getting it right.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dani_alexa2003

dani_alexa2003 New Member

Es muy triste en tsw que pase esto dovetai a prometido lo mejor veo que no cumplen

• Like Like x 1
  4. matthewbguilford

But I think having them waiting at cross walks before they tackle animating them or having the vehicles actually cross. We have seen Railroad workers next to the tracks in more recent routes so they are already in other places!

• Like Like x 1
  5. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

That is a logical thing to add to the game, but as for the railroad crossings part, DTG would have to make the crossings animated first be4 adding people/cars waiting and crossing the gates as well (this is already done in sand patch but idk if there are cars going through the gates in the first place).

6. matthewbguilford

I don’t think having them animated is necessary, even static cars or pedestrians would be better then nothing I hope one day we will get both!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I think the rail workers are just plonked in for particular scenarios (although, I could be wrong). Anyway, I don't think it's a bad idea in general... just not sure if there's a quick way of doing this without it looking tacky or out of place. Personally, I'd rather see the animated crossings.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

The major focus in and train simulator is driving trains or riding in them and when you're engaged in either of those activities what difference does it make whether the crossing guards really work or not? As your train approaches a railroad crossing, the bell is already sounding and the crossbar is already down and both bell and bar remain that way until you are well past the crossing, so when would you ever see a crossbar moving up or down. Yes, I'm aware that certain folks like to position themselves on foot near a crossing just to watch the motionless crossbar while a train passes so that they can grouse about it on a forum. More power to them, if that's what satisfies them. For me, I'm driving or riding and the position of a crossbar before or after I pass it just doesn't bother me a bit.
    Something that began with the Class 31 and is now a feature of numerous engines, on the other hand, is the realistic animation of the act of climbing up or down engine entry/exit stairs or ladders. DTG added that simple bouncing effect without anyone ever fussing about it in advance (as far as I know, anyway--but how did the rivet counters miss it?) and it adds a good touch of authentic simulation that means a lot more to me than the position of railroad crossing bars.
    That's enough -- I don't want to emulate the mouth-runners.

• Like Like x 3
  9. matthewbguilford

I agree that unless your walking around or using the free camera, your not going to see the crosswalk bar function. You would see traffic waiting at the crosswalk when your train goes by though and that’s why I believe even having static cars and pedestrians waiting at the crosswalks would add a lot to driving just like the animation they added when going up and down the locomotive stairs!

• Like Like x 2
  10. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

It’s a good suggestion and it can only work if dovetails can increase the car and people density where there more cars on the road and pedestrians walking on the streets

• Like Like x 1
  11. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

;););) that a good idea...more people and cars around!

• Like Like x 2
  12. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Interesting idea, I have yet to run across an actual grade crossing that requires a whistle signal. What route and where are these?

• Like Like x 1
  13. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Just for the record, I'm 95% sure that while driving a timetable activity on the CN route a day or so ago I passed a RR crossing with its gate up and its bell silent.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MetrolinkF125#916

I keep running into those in Peninsula Corridor, weird:|

15. MetrolinkF125#916

But in that one one set on one side of the tracks had their gates down and bell on and the opposing set had its gates up and bell off.

16. Trainspeeder

Trainspeeder Active Member

Extually a good idea!!!

• Like Like x 3
  17. matthewbguilford

Thank you! I really think it would make a huge difference across all of the routes and that is something worth doing! It would add a lot to driving!

• Like Like x 1