Union Pacific's Yuma Subdivision

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by jack.kuiper.18, Mar 23, 2020.

1. jack.kuiper.18

jack.kuiper.18 Active Member

Union Pacific's Yuma Subdivision. One of Union Pacific's main arteries into the south toward Texas is the Yuma Sub. Beginning at the huge West Colton Yard in Southern California, Yuma heads southeast toward Beaumont and Banning. Beaumont Hill is a steady climb and has good gradients for a challenge. It then hooks directly east, parallel to Interstate 10. As it heads toward Palm Springs, it winds through a wind farm, and then the Sunset Limited/Texas Chief stops at the Palm Springs Amtrak. After leaving Palm Springs, the tracks become straight as an arrow southeast again toward Indio along I-10. It speeds through Thousand Palms and Bermuda Dunes before reaching Indio, banking slightly south, and then passes through Coachella. After leaving Coachella, there is nothing but desert and, if headed southbound, the Salton Sea is on your right (left if northbound, obviously). At Niland, the Calexico Sub diverges south toward Mexicali, while the Yuma remains a racetrack southeast toward Yuma. It squeezes between a couple gunnery ranges in Algodones and the Chocolate Mountains. After about 50 miles zooming along, the Yuma Sub fights its way into Yuma. There is an Amtrak Station in Yuma, and a yard. The Yuma becomes the Gila Sub, and heads east toward Tucson, AZ. High speed freight action is non-stop out of Colton on the Yuma, along with a few Amtrak Stations, this route would be fantastic for TS2020, as it would not only enhance our Union Pacific TS fleet, but also our Southern California fleet! All types of freight travel over this sub, especially intermodal and autorack traffic, along with manifests and many other commodities. No special rolling stock would be needed, so the basic "come-with" cars would be fine. Amtrak does run on this line, however, so whether a scenario pack or with the route, we would need passenger equipment. However, an SD70ACe-T4 would be nice to see.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SD70ACe-T4
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Funny enough I suggested a shorter version of this route for TSW, and the Southern Pacific era of Beaumont Hill for TS2020. Though I would welcome any era of the famed route.

Also one special piece of rolling stock that could be included for this route is the Robinson Ready Mix cars that operate on trains between Owl and Gardena California over Beaumont Hill.
    unnamed (2).jpg
    5177136264_62dd059fca_b.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The SD70ACe-T4 (UP calls them SD70AH-T4s) is badly needed. I'd also love an ET44AC (or C45AHs on the UP Railroad). A GP60 or Genset for switching would be great, too.

4. jack.kuiper.18

jack.kuiper.18 Active Member

See my forum on the Kearney Sub.