Ts20: Beast Of The East!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Mar 27, 2020.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

The burly and powerful commuter-hauling General Electric U34CH diesel – and Comet I equipment – is coming soon to Train Simulator!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 9
  2. brandon swart

brandon swart Member

Fantastic I can't wait to get this diesel. I've been waiting for this for a long time

• Like Like x 1
  3. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Pls add this in TSW:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

This isn't made by DTG so I really don't think that'll happen. Plus, the only route they could use is NEC and that's only like 10 miles of trackage.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Random Railfan

I've really wanted this for a while! DTM usually makes up for lower-detail textures with more accurate physics and details as well as better sounds, so this should be pretty good. I've also wanted Comet I's for a while, and I can see this being pretty fun to run towards Port Jervis on Minerman146's Bergen Line.

I can almost promise that someone will reskin it into the old Erie Lackawanna blue livery too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

The package was originally supposed to come with the older NJ Transit, NJDOT, and EL schemes, but those were rejected on grounds of licensing. The low door versions of the Comet Is were also rejected on these same grounds. Hopefully, these will be uploaded on RWA or some other site so that people can actually use them, as too much time was taken for them to be abandoned.
    20200315111551_1.jpg 20200121224159_1.jpg
    (From Minerman's thread on RWA)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

Yeah. That sure was a disappointment!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Random Railfan

Is that the one that DTM made?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Railfan722

Same model and everything. Minerman provided most of the reference and his dad who was an engineer on the EL contributed some brake and general handling info. DTM then did the model and physics accordingly.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Random Railfan

If only DTG did that kind of research lol. I'm kinda sad about those pesky licensing restrictions though. Hopefully DTM will release them for free via their Facebook or something, I still have faith.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Minerman146

Minerman146 Member

Railfan722 is doing a great job. The decisions regarding use of the of pre-1987 logos and door configuration was on the part of New Jersey Trainsit. They wish to maintain a modern image of their railroad and that is to be respected. On the other hand, undercoated (with out logos) are in the hopper for a subsequent and separate release for the "marketplace" So, this will include 2 more U34CH and Coach paint/door variants.

About the textures... I will put it this way. Any aspect of the model that one might find lacking, there are a number of aspects that are highly detailed, well done and you will like them very much. The U34CH cab for example is just totally excellent. The sounds, in general, are better than "ok". And there are a number a little details that should put a smile on your face. So, in total, your going to like and use this model.

*for the casual reader: this project comes from the TS Community itself and from me as well as lead researcher.

To me - this is a very special model. I hope you find it to be as well.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Daniel Gibbs

That's correct.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Random Railfan

I see exactly what you meant with the "little details." On the Facebook I see that you can lower the seats in the cab, and I really like that. I just wish the earlier variants were available, I'd love to run the cab car with that older control stand. Theoretically the older livery with EL logos instead of NJT logos would be okay for the marketplace, right?

And by the way, with your description of it, I'm definitely buying it. I simply can't resist!

• Like Like x 1
  14. dani_alexa2003

dani_alexa2003 New Member

Salen más rutas en ts20 que en tsw20 no se por que

• Like Like x 1
  15. Random Railfan

Ah yes, the classic "why does TS20 have more routes than TSW" comment. It's simple. TS20 is 10+ years old, so it's only natural that it has more routes. Plus, why are you asking this on an announcement page? At least put the question in a new thread on the "general discussion" page.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

It’s nice to finally see this thing come to light on TS. I’ve been waiting for older commuter equipment for a long time. Regarding NJT’s licensing, I may be wrong, but I feel it’s a bit hypocritical to have heritage units and yet deny a piece of their history. The future-centered look is respectable and I think it’s a smart business model, but it is unfortunate they couldn’t cut us some slack. I doubt your normal commuter would be even come across this and have NJT’s image ruined.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Random Railfan

Exactly. Even if a non-railfan stumbled across it they wouldn't hate NJT over it. It's a stupid decision on NJT's part. As I mentioned before, the EL version might be okay with logos since I doubt NJT has the licensing rights over that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Daniel Gibbs

I think this case was with NS.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NEC Railfan

Yeah NS never got back to them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NEC Railfan

I asked Minerman if maybe they could put just EL logos and no NJDOT. EL is NS property and NS has been friendly with us, so perhaps in the extra pack he talked about above?

I feel really bad about the licensing, since he stated his dream was to get EL/NJDOT onto the steam store. I have exact same desire for Conrail.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Random Railfan

Yeah NS is very good with TS. If we could get them to give us the rights for the EL scheme that would be perfect. The modelling for the low-door Comets and different control desk in the cab car is too much to just abandon. It's unfortunate that the NJDOT scheme probably won't be available unless it gets released to RWA or something. I'd love to have this scheme with the faded silver patch! Even if it isn't faded, it would still be nice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  22. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Great winter screenshot Railfan722. Is this on the Port Jervis Line on the Steam Workshop? First the M2 and now the U-Boats/Comet I push pulls. Things are looking good for Train Simulator 2020. This is amazing, I am glad to see content for the tri state area being developed. This will definitely be a great release and addition to the current NJT content that we have for Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Railfan722

These aren't my pictures - they were taken by Minerman146 on his wonderful New York Division: Bergen Line.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Minerman146

Minerman146 Member

maikrthr - yes that is on the PJ line at Otisville - the train is facing West.
    Rest assured - the other variants will be released. The amount of work it took to reproduce the 1970 Cab car was extensive and we must get it out there to reflect the original technology - which is the point of the project in the first place. This shows the partnership between GE and Pullman Standard to develop an integrated Push-Pull system for the NJ Department of Transportation. GE Pulled U33/36s off the line and put on a shaft driven generator just for this customer. The coaches were also built to customer spec: had hard points for future catenary and allowed for future center door installation. The system worked, reduced costs and the commuters loved the coaches. The design was sound enough that Bombardier bought the rights to make their own.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Random Railfan

Great! I'm so glad we'll get to play with the other variants.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Minerman146

Minerman146 Member

Work is nearing completion on an update for the U34CH as well as the the EL-NJDOT version for the Market Place.
    The following improvements will included:
    1. 2 Separate Horns ( 1 for the Engine and other for the Cab), with appropriate interior and exterior sound level.
    2. Enhanced braking and physics performance ( Not Electric Hold - but incremental brakes, that get us closer to the feel of EH)
    3. Door Close Alarm is now an electric bell instead of the modern chime that was installed.
    4. Weight and inertia improvements that adds a greater sense of weight of the unit.

The marketplace version will include the original Pullman/GE cab and controls as built in 1970. Great effort was made to reproduce this cab and will be one of a kind in TS2020. Included will be a placeholder NJDOT logo, which consists of a white circle with a red border.

Here are shots from my personal collection of the cab interior, cab, exterior and EL-NJDOT U34CH with consist:
    20200722173845_1.jpg
    20200722173737_1.jpg

20200722172929_1.jpg
    The final unit is, of course, subject to change.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Random Railfan

I really appreciate what you're doing. This sounds like a substantial update. Hopefully it won't be sitting in limbo for months like many other DLC updates seem to.

28. Redd

Redd New Member

Any updates on this project? Hoping it didn’t die on the vine.

29. Random Railfan

Yeah I really want this to come out too. I've seen Schnauzahpowahz' video on it and I think that came out like 7 months ago with no updates since.