Long Island Railroad Network

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by rare_common_sense, Feb 1, 2018.

?
  1. All of them

66 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. Babylon/Montauk branch

16 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Ronkonkoma

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. Port Jefferson

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Oyster Bay

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Port Washington

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

True, I'm really glad for PennCentral670's expansion. Although I can't drive it just yet since I don't have the Hudson Line route yet :( ... I spent my TS2020 allowance for this month on the Reppo M2 and the E33.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

It's possible, but Workshop routes and scenarios have been known to cause the game to become unstable in the past. Besides, if DTG comes out with an official one, they can charge money for it (although I don't think this is right since it should have been included in the first place), and scenery can be more accurate with custom objects, such as stations and other landmarks. The fact they only gave us half of the Hudson Line after giving us the entire New Haven Line is just wrong. I could see if they started out the New Haven Line as just New York to Stamford and then extended it later. That would kind of justify only taking the Hudson Line to Croton Harmon. But they made the full route for the New Haven Line, so there's no reason why they couldn't have made the Hudson Line to Poughkeepsie. Also, if they've made long routes like Marias Pass or the Canadian Mountain Pass, they can make New York to Poughkeepsie, or New York to Wassaic in a future Harlem Line route.

If DTG came out with an official extension, I'd be willing to buy it, but there had better be a BIG discount for people who already own the current Hudson Line route. I mean like 75% off or something. I'm not paying $29.99 or $39.99 for half of a route that I already have and half of a route that should have been included in the first place. How much do you wanna bet that if they make the Hudson Line, it's gonna just be New York to White Plains? DTG knows that they'll at least get support from the 3 or 4 extremely loyal fanboys who worship them and praise everything they do without question, and maybe a few newcomers who don't know any better, even if everybody else hates it and gives them backlash. That's good enough for them I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

If DTG did do a Hudson Line extension, it could end up like the Peninsula Corridor route, where the Gilroy Extension was the same price as the original route, but added the F40 with Gallery Cars, or the Soldier Summit Extension, which added the extension to Salt Lake City at $16, but added no new content, plus relied on owning the original route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

I could see a few new coaches being added but not too sure for locomotives....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. John Murphy

If they charge full price for an extension, I'm not buying it unless it's put on sale, like Black Friday or Christmas. I simply refuse to pay 30 or 40 bucks for half of a route that everybody should already have. I am definitely gonna check out that workshop route though.

6. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do think this will have already inspired him to do the earlier ones. Being that this was well received. And he could really just work off the base model of this DLC and do the needed modifications obviously on the exterior. Most of the work is done. Just the cab configurations and the audio. I'm positive the actual models will make its way to TS.

Thank you for your effort in these repaints. I will certainly be utilizing them in the scenario I'm in the process of making.

7. John Murphy

Well so much for the workshop route. Downloaded it, tried to play it, game froze at the menu. Couldn't even get back to the desktop. Had to hard restart. What a shame.

8. rare_common_sense

Well, they didn't even really give us the full New Haven section either. Because there are two missing branches that probably should have been added at some point. I do hope they do a Harlem Section, and the full one at that seeing as it's nothing but Metro-North. Also, they should have that completed with the Line to Poughkeepsie. So not only would we get another Loco (like the M1/3A's), but the older Shoreliner coaches that MattG17 had alluded to earlier in the thread.

As far as expanding the Waterbury/Danbury branches on the New Haven.. The Diesel they use for the branches, I don't currently know the model names for them yet, should be done as well.

9. rare_common_sense

I would maybe clear cache, redownload the route, or something like that. It really shouldn't be a huge problem running that route.

10. John Murphy

The Danbury and Waterbury branches would be cool, but I will excuse them for that since they did give us the whole mainline. We can at least do the core mainline services. I just see no reason why we couldn't have had the route all the way to Poughkeepsie.

11. John Murphy

That's what I'm trying now. Workshop routes have always been hit or miss from my experience as far as functionality.

12. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t mind seeing Babylon or ronkonkoma.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rare_common_sense

I would like to have it all.

14. mrchuck

And Port Jefferson and Montauk

15. NEC Railfan

Hey everyone, I was working on the next rendition of my Metropolitan repaints. What do you guys think?
    From left to right: Original M1 delivery paint scheme from Budd. (Late 1960s-1980s), Later M1 Scheme (Late 1990s-2009), and the current M3 scheme (Late 1990s-present)
    Screenshot (334).png

But I have come across a problem, the doors are child objects, and I have tried to find the texture that corresponds to them, but has been unsuccessful. The reason for this is I want to remove the "Don't fall onto the track" stickers, since they didn't exist in the 60s and 70s. These stickers are highlighted below. 20200220003817_1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. John Murphy

Okay, so I got that Workshop route to work (for now) and I managed to do a full Albany-NYC run. Wow, I'm truly amazed! DTG will probably make people pay full price if they ever do an extension to Poughkeepsie, when this dude took it all the way to Albany for free! I mean there are a few nitpicks. The scenery past Croton Harmon can be a little sparse and look a little...outdated in places, but I can really excuse that because it still looks really really good and it even says on Steam that the route is still a WIP. Also I'm in the middle of doing a Metro North run to Poughkeepsie as I type this and I noticed the doors don't open on the northbound side of the platform at Courtlandt. And finally when you start out with the P32 in 3rd rail mode at Grand Central, it only gives you the option to do the MU quickdrive route to Croton Harmon, and you have to start out in diesel mode to get Poughkeepsie as an option, which is inaccurate because P32s are not allowed to run on diesel power in Grand Central.

Those are the only complaints I have so far and those are really minor and can be easily fixed. It's well worth a try and I highly recommend it to anybody who has the required DLC. I'm gonna be spending a lot of time on it.

17. NEC Railfan

This is because, in real life, diesel trains can run on electrified tracks technically, but it's quite rare to see that, other than freight runs on the NEC. The case with the 3rd rail P32, however, is that the game recognizes it as an electric-only train, and electric trains can only go up to Croton Harmon. The way to fix this is select the diesel version, then as soon as you enter the cab, press Control-Shift-A to switch modes, or just do it manually on the console where your right arm would be in the cab.

18. rare_common_sense

Duuuuuuude.. man.. this is great. I wouldn't worry about the little warning signs.. this is more than acceptable. I'm so excited for this.

19. NEC Railfan

And they're here! Just finished that last touches and now the LIRR M3 shall enter the game, albeit a reskin.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d5CMJXHUTCQCr3dLr_-vKGVJRDuDq2hT

Just follow the instructions in the readme and you should be good to go.

Note: I am really bad at editing dynamic number files, so in order to have accurate numbers, rather than break them, one must fix them in the scenario editor.
    20200220180046_1.jpg
    The original delivery paint scheme featuring the MTA blue band similar to the Metro-North ones.
    20200220184459_1.jpg
    The M1s wearing a partial blue band, but with a yellow band in front, this was the scheme worn during their last days.
    20200220180054_1.jpg
    The current M3 paint scheme. If you'd like the delivery scheme to also apply to the M3s. That's fine, I just gave the model designations according to the pictures given online, also the preserved M1 in the LIRR museum was an inspiration for the blue and yellow banded scheme.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. NEC Railfan

Since I like doing Metropolitans, I may do some "oddities" repaints if anyone would like it. I saw an orange and white livery of an M3 on RR picture archives while researching, E775, which is an alcohol/sandolite spreader.
    E901 is also an alcohol spreader but has an entirely blue front with the yellow stripe. It looks like what an M3 owned by CSX would look like. :D

Here is a picture of both of them chilling in Hillside yard. 19-08-26_LI-E775-E901_Hillside.JPG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. rare_common_sense

Dude.. you’re the Ace for this. Thank you so very much for this.

• Like Like x 1
  22. NEC Railfan

No problem! I quite enjoy repainting. :)

• Like Like x 2
  23. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

I could probably go and give that a shot if you'd like, as I did break and fix the number file for the Reversed M2/M4's I did and semi released to the NEC Sim Dev Group FB, although it'll take me a day or two...

• Like Like x 2
  24. NEC Railfan

Sure, It'd be great if you just post the .dcsv file in dropbox or something, then I can add it as a patch to the repaints.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mrchuck

think the M3 Locomotive or Dual mode diesel locomotive will come to train simulator or train sim world?

26. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I think the M3 and Dual mode locomotives will be in TSW for LIRR at some point. It would be great too if an LIRR route with rolling stock/locomotives is made for Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I'm not really that fond of TSW and even I'd love some DM30ACs or M3s. Both are very interesting and the DM30AC (or even the entire LIRR) are woefully underrepresented in the train simulation genre as a whole.

• Like Like x 1
  28. NEC Railfan

Someone actually made a reskin of the P32 to represent a DM30AC, but it’s pretty cursed.

• Like Like x 1
  29. mrchuck

would they Add the Babylon to Patchouge line or Hicksville to Huntington or Port Jefferson line?

• Like Like x 1
  30. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I am not quite sure but I really hope that if the developers do develop and extend the line passed Hicksville, that they include both. I hope that the editor is released at some point so the community can extend the route as well.

• Like Like x 2
  31. mrchuck

maybe when they’ll release a dual mode diesel locomotive cab car coach’s they’ll extend the route to Huntington and onto Port Jefferson.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  32. Random Railfan

Yes, we're in dire need of an extension or new locomotive/MU. LIRR has so much potential yet DTG is ignoring it in favor of Peninsula Corridor. Don't get me wrong, Peninsula Corridor is good, but I think it would've been better if we got a DM30AC or M3 instead of an MP15.

And yes I know I got a little off-topic by discussing TSW lol.

33. Random Railfan

Oh yeah I've seen that. It's really cursed.

• Like Like x 1
  34. NEC Railfan

Reminds me of the days when M8s were used for everything.

• Like Like x 1
  35. mrchuck

I hope the M3 Locomotive or Dual mode diesel locomotive are going to be available next for TSW?

36. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

They abandoned LIRR, we stuck with jus lousy one locomotive, 2 ghost town stations, still many bugs and other garbage regarding timetables....again this DLC was half assed and shouldve NOT been made.. DTG didnt do their homework!!this been out since Nov 2018??LIRR dlc left for dead!

• Like Like x 2
  37. mrchuck

we need a dual mode diesel locomotive cab car coach’s for the Lirr.

38. Random Railfan

They can still salvage it though. I honestly don't think it's that bad. It isn't a buggy joke like Oakville at least. They definitely put some effort into it. If they just fixed the timetables to make them humanly possible, it would surpass some more recent routes in quality. Which stations are ghost towns, by the way? Long Island City and Penn are what I'm assuming. Both are pretty dead. It would be nice if they put some ACS-64s into Penn for those who have NEC and had DE30ACs stabled at Long Island City if they added them.

• Like Like x 2
  39. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

Well Penn is ghostly but Long Island City and Hunterspoint Av have no timetable or services hence why we need the D330AC...and yet Hunterspoint Av is used in one lousy scenario(Change At Jamaica)...and some of the service suck cuz for instance fricken 17:15 service from Penn to Hicksville...first stop is Jamaica and we have to wait nearly 5 mins to leave cuz the train has to leave on the SAME track(which doesnt happen in real life) that leads into Penn basically having a Penn station bound to clear....another problem idk which service it's in the afternoon or evening schedule...its from Hempstead to Penn Station, it arrives at Jamaica and the next stop is Penn Station but instead of using the express tracks it uses the local track to travel behind a LOCAL train and I mean local train making my destination late and with these action points, it doesnt make it better...theres NUMEROUS problems of the LIRR.....as far as ACS-64 funny thing is the Maintenance Maneuver scenario theres actually couple of Amtrak coach cars jus stranded in Penn Station lol......and as far as Oakville and HRR I skipped those.. I've seen HRR through my next door neighbor and nice scenery alot of traffic but short routes

40. mrchuck

Hopefully they’ll extend the lirr route from Hicksville to Huntington which is only a 17 minute train ride and the stops are syosset, Cold spring harbor and Huntington

• Like Like x 1
  41. Random Railfan

Or further.

42. npalmer405

npalmer405 Member

I hate how I’m at NY Penn and all I see are rows and rows of LIRR locomotives and no Amtrak trains. I like TSW a lot more than TS20. TSW has lot better graphics and interface. But is kinda laggy and stuff like that. Also has not many routes to drive.

43. mrchuck

Well hopefully they’ll be adding it to TSW because I saw a screenshot of a train going in the direction of Huntington off of the Hicksville Branch line.

• Like Like x 1
  44. mrchuck

This is the train that’s going in the Huntington direction.

Attached Files:

45. rare_common_sense

As I have done with another route proposal, I am also renewing interest in a TS20xx version, as I feel TSW/2 isn't doing enough justice for their version, despite the fidelity TSW offers. It is still a missing vital link in TS20xx that could really use representation. There is such a project that is/has been underway. Though there are some drawbacks. The Jamaica Station, which would be pretty hard to replicate, unless there is a skilled 3d modeler or someone with enough creative chops to kitbash such a station.

I feel that this route sorely needs an official entry into the TS20xx game, for assets, and Locomotive DLC that is not yet represented. I would hope that DTG at some point is considering making this route still, as I feel is one of the best commuter based routes, 2nd to Penninsula Corridor made for TSW. Although LIRR isn't represented nearly as well as it should be, time table/service-wise. I know that with TS20xx, with its share of issue, would still be best to give this route the best representation it deserves.

• Like Like x 2
  46. NEC Railfan

I agree, one of the things that had held me out from buying TSW for myself is the lack of user-end's ability to modify. Though TS' scenario editor can have drawbacks when it comes to things like the dispatcher and pathing, it comes out supreme with things like quick drive. One of the things that can possibly be recreated is a fully realistic weekday LIRR timetable in AI services, which seems to be sorely lacking in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

I couldn't agree more with that statement. I feel like you could get away with replicating scenarios in the TS scenario editor and be able to have a proper service.

• Like Like x 3
  48. mrchuck

I would definitely like to see a 3rd party group create the port Jefferson Branch for train simulator or train sim world 2.

49. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

I would as well like to see the LIRR System done in TS.

50. rare_common_sense

Just to help regain some interest in this. But, DTG seriously should make this route. They have the reference material to get it done. possible even convert the models used in TSW to TS1.. hopefully without it being a hit on performance. The issue with it having to get done by the community is having to worry about getting the stations such as Jamaica, East New York, Atlantic Terminal, done.

Of course, I'd like to see other Passenger Based oriented routes, but because I have more familiarity with this.. And play TS1 more... I would really still love to see this route finally gets its long-overdue place in the catalog.

• Like Like x 2