Change The Name Of The Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 749006, Apr 2, 2020.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Could the name of Train Simulator 2020 be changed to something else?
    Or could Train Sim World 2020 be given a new name?

There are so many people who are new to Train Simulators and are finding it a bit confusing that two are available from the same company appearing in the same lists.

Maybe Train Sim World could become Rail Sim World?

What do others think?

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  2. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I agree, there needs to be a better way for outsiders and newbies to distinguish the two. Perhaps TS2020's title can be changed back to Railworks?

3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Railworks: Train Simulator 2020
    Railworks 2020

Or drop the year part of Train Sim World.

4. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Railworks sounds good to me, that's what my desktop shortcut is named as, well, Railworks64.

5. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Agreed, Railworks would be a nice change. The game was already called that and lots of people that have been playing for a while refer to it as such, so it would only make sense.

6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I think for complete separation both names should change as you touched on..

Railworks Train Simulator 2021 (lets face it they can't change what's already released so it won't change before this years final quarter)
    Train Sim World (no year in name)

The "Railworks" is important as the primary (starting) name as search engine results muddy the results if both start with "Train Simu..." which is probably partly the reason why 'wrong title posters' appear here.

Not forgetting of course the abbreviated names of TSW and RTS2021 :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I suggested renaming it RailWorks. When Dovetail stops supporting TS2020 (which I think might be this year), it might be better to stop with the years and go back to a neutral name.

8. Random Railfan

I doubt they'll stop supporting it. It just makes too much money for them to do that.

9. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Bugs-R-us :D

10. dunkrez

Agreed, can't imagine it'll be dropped any time soon.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Who told you that?

12. Doomotron

Nobody, but since TSW is the new flagship game, and RW is so outdated, eventually all support for Train Simulator will dry up.

13. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

Why do you think it might be this year?
    Did the bank ring them to say there is no more room in the safe for all the money being made from TS sales.....
    TS and TSW are two quite different games with just the trains in common, much like the many different war games where only the guns are the same.
    Think of when you do a Google search for a Train sim and both of the DTG titles show in the results together ,TSW+TS, more clicks on both and more income for DTG and more content created for us.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

TS2020 will still go on. There is no editor for TSW and I doubt if it will be released in the near future. DTG wants to keep it in house and with contracted developers for as long as possible. That way they are in control of all content and sales. TS2020s advantage in all of this is content self-creation, quick drive, and tons of 3rd party content both payware and freeware. If you are using a console then an editor is superfluous.

• Like Like x 1
  15. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

i don't think they can use railworks anymore. there rail making company called rail works. so i think rail simulator would be the best option to use.
    also DTG been less active in ts2020 area and my guess and i'm hoping i'm somewhat right, there working on something very big for ts2021 like dx12 support. finger cross.

• Like Like x 1
  16. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Interesting thread.... and I agree - there could be some more differentiation... but part of the problem is that Dovetail likes to change the name of the game as frequently as possible, to ditch the bad reputation that builds up with the previous brand - a bit like a fraudulent charity, or a dodgy and dangerously criminal plumber that pretends he is certified to work with natural gas...... Anyway - if Dovetail reach the point where they are thinking of going legit.... then they could try something like this, using different words:

Train Simulator 20xx -----> Railway Simulator

Train Sim World 20xx -------> Train Driver World

You then encapsulate the "driver" part of TSW... as a person walking around doing critical things like putting up posters, etc., and going to late night bars at the end of the last shift of the week.

As an aside.... part of the issue is how you differentiate the two titles to non-English speakers.... and make it understandable to them too. Maybe one day they will crack it. Maybe one day, after Dovetail decide to have any respect for any of their customers Maybe they should just ask the Marketing Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation to come up with some smart new branding?

Until then, maybe Forum members can just ....Be Kind.... And not smash newbies over the head with a lump of brass while they are asleep, because they have confused TS and TSW... Just an idea... dunno if it will stick....

17. synthetic.angel

Dovetail would have to start supporting TS2020, before it can stop supporting it....strictly speaking.

Take the new Class 89, for example... it doesn't yet come with sound for the traction motors, or at least, Dovetail have not been able to get the sound to work properly yet..... and they didn't even have to feel guilty about not testing it on PS4...!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Random Railfan

I agree with you. Unfortunately they've been diverting their effort from TS2020 to TSW, and as a result the content is of lower quality. DTG used to push out wonderful routes for this game, while now they're all bad or lukewarm. In fact, they haven't been developing much TS2020 DLC recently have they? Now they just dump ancient (albeit decent) Just Trains stuff onto us.

• Like Like x 1
  19. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

maybe not, i won't be surprised if it followed MSTS/Open rails. MSTS/open rails is still going strong, there even new route Montana Rail Link - Mullan Pass Route that release.

20. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not quite sure where you get your information from - but I think it is wrong.
    I started this game with Railworks 3 - also called Train Simulator 2012.
    The ONLY thing that has changed is the year.
    As DTG bring out an upgrade to the Core engine it released new routes and increases the Year number.
    So each year I have had the game it has gone from Train Simulator 2012 thru to Train Simulator 2020
    And the upgrade to the core engine has been provided free of charge
    So irrespective of which train/route we are running we are all on the same software

For some reason Doomotron keeps telling us that DTG are going to drop Train Simulator
    Which I somewhat doubt as there is a large amount of 3rd party developers that are still making content.

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  21. dunkrez

I think from a technical perspective, it's going to potentially be a long time before we start seeing routes that are substantially long in TSW, and although TS is lagging behind in technical investment, as far as I know, you can't drive the full length of the ECML from London through to Edinburgh on any other rail simulator to this level of detail - is that going to be achievable on ps5 level hardware specs on TSW's engine?

Railworks64 is going to be around for a good while yet, in my humble opinion, I'd go so far as to say that it'll be around for close to another decade.

22. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

While I have always advocated that TSxx will live on, if only to support TSW. But the recent releases of old JT dlc and today's revamp of Sherman Hill suggests a slight air of desperation at DTG.. With the projected tough times ahead, small businesses could be casualties as many of us consumers tighten our belts.

I sincerely hope that DTG and other devs can weather the storm. There's life in the old dog yet.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Random Railfan

Wait a minute are they revamping Sherman Hill? It better not be with their stupid new plastic trees though.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Nope. It's another bundle of old content being repackaged with some new scenarios. It looks like there's some nice steam action included, except for the fact that the track alignments are wrong for that era. It's the standalone Sherman Hill route with the Challenger, Big Boy, Cab Forward, GP40-2, and the old Rio Grande heritage scheme for the SD70ACe. The Cab Forward sounds like it'll mostly be used for additional stock in scenarios.

25. Doomotron

Yes. The Xbox Series X outperforms 98% of all PCs on Steam - essentially it's the most powerful thing on the market for a long time. The PS5 is slightly less powerful, but as a 5gb/s SSD. It has one of the fastest storage devices available for consumers. The new consoles can run Train Simulator or Train Sim World better than any of our current PCs or consoles can.
    When I say DTG will drop TS, that doesn't mean that it'll die, in the same way MSTS is still moderately. However, at some point - and it's getting closer - DTG will stop supporting it actively (they might still release the occasional update like Valve do for their games), but the community will keep it alive for a long time after that.

26. synthetic.angel

Yeah, I know - I am just being a bit of a tease about the name change thing - you are right, the name change is now more akin to FIFA year updates. The thing about being a dodgy plumber is reasonably accurate though.

So, the thing here is..... that Doomotron is usually just wrong about everything. If she ever agrees with you about something, then you should probably re-evaluate the evidence for your own beliefs, as they are probably then also wrong - so she does serve some purpose.

I agree with you - Train Simulator is now going to outlive Train Sim World. I can't imagine that DTG will put the effort in, over a decade, to scrape the TSW UI towards the functionality of TS 2020. TSW is now in the "end of life" phase, because it is now on a "PC only" trajectory, and in the end, TS 20xx is going to be the more stable product. It's a shame - and it was a good idea to try out a cross-platform train simulator, but DTG didn't really put the effort in to understand the needs of console players, or the vast amount of £CA$H at their disposal... so they've now completely Facebooked it up.

27. synthetic.angel

Yep - I agree with most of this. I actually think that TSW routes will get shorter. Much shorter. But there will be more rolling stock - broken rolling stock - much more broken rolling stock.

The power of future PCs, the PS5 or the next XBox will have absolutely no impact on the development of TSW or TS20xx, because the bottleneck is not with power - it's with content production and optimisation. A decently specified 2015 laptop can run both titles, as badly as any future tech.

Route length is absolutely not dependent on power on TSW. The only limit there is storage space.

I suspect that production standards are about to be significantly lowered in TSW, that optimisation will become completely forgotten, and that QC, QA and testing will become totally alien concepts. These are ideas that are known about at the moment, very loosely, as historical concepts.... but haven't been utilised for a while - and if you don't use it, then you lose it.

• Like Like x 2
  28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And there lies a problem
    If I was to play TS2020 on the Xbox i would be stuck with what DTG made
    AFAIK there is no way to modify files on an Xbox the way we do on a PC.
    There is so much Free and Payware available for TS2020 which mean installing and copying files
    Like the Class 89 - DTG brought it out in the one livery but within a day or so 5 other variations were available
    If I was playing on an Xbox I don't think I could copy files and change Scenarios the way I do with a PC

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  29. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

IMO they should just drop 2020 from TSW and keep it TS2020 and then go to 2021, 2022, and so on.

30. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Yes, but it's not confusing "TS" with "TSW"; it's confusing a forum labelled "Train Simulator (TS2020)" with one labelled "Train Sim World".

The two games should have very different names. I suggest "Train Simulator" and "Modern Railway Short Journey Simulator".

I still haven'y got over my sense of betrayal and rage after DTG released TSW. They promised the earth and delivered flip all.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  31. synthetic.angel

Actually - the image used in the Forums for TS 2019.... but that's a minor point...

I don't know what DTG promised for TSW. I suspect that it was meant to be something beyond Train Simulator.... but as far as I can tell, having crossed over from TSW to TS...., TSW falls well short of TS, and it doesn't have a Netflix chance in Hulu, that it will ever catch up.

I am tempted to do a comparison thread at some point. When you see the differences (in functionality) written down, it's quite shocking just how far backwards DTG has taken the train simulator genre. That said, I am glad they made TSW, as it was my gateway to Train Simulator - and I am, first and foremost, a fan of simulators.

But that's just me - I have always preferred mature passionate brainy experienced types to overly flirty naive drunken air-heads.

32. dunkrez

I just about sprayed coffee all over my laptop when I read this :) Short journey simulator indeed.

33. Doomotron

I was going to make a retaliation comment - something about the hugely better detail in TSW and the much better gameplay - but I've had far too many confrontations on this website.

• Like Like x 2
  34. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Rivet Games could be busy working on a route / trains who knows