PC Poll: Tsw 2020 Requested Features & Core Updates Additions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 27, 2020.

?
  1. PIS - Working announcements and screens at stations and on trains

58.2%
  2. Variable adhesion - slippery rails during wet weather etc

60.3%
  3. Dynamic weather & improvements to weather systems and visuals

66.1%
  4. Dynamic events - signal failures, train failures, line blockages etc

53.4%
  5. Conductor mode - check tickets, dispatch train, buzzer etc

26.5%
  6. Time skip and teleportation functionality

15.9%
  7. 2D map improvements

43.4%
  8. Railway workers and machinery on track

32.8%
  9. Longer routes (at the expense of a higher base DLC price)

67.2%
  10. Animated scenery at stations - working escalators, barriers, doors etc.

31.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just thought I'd create another poll on what you guys want to see in Train Sim World.

My previous poll proved very popular with submissions, and it was interesting to see what people wanted to see added to the game.

I will add as many options as I can and users are allowed to have multiple choices within the poll.

Comments and ideas are welcome too.

• Like Like x 5
  2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I think I would vote for everything for eventual implementation, except for more expensive DLC..... (?).

But there are some more urgent basic features that are required, right now, such as:

- a systematic and professional approach to QA/QC and testing for all content.... cross-platform (including PS4 and XBox);
    - a rapid response to bug fixing that takes priority over generation and publication of all new DLC;
    - some basic training for DTG's Support Team, with a total ban on ticket-closure targets;
    - a permanent-ban on playing Candy Crush during working hours for all Support Team members;
    - a complete revision of the UI's counting systems;
    - a review and correction of the coding for the trophies/achievements;
    - replacement of the direct distance to objective with distance by rail;
    - withdrawal of Mastery and all internet calls from TSW to dead/defunct DTG servers.

And then, maybe, DTG could start to think about other features. (Of which, one thing I would like would be a set of Poser animations for the driver, when handling the controls, as viewed from an external camera....).

Get the BASICS sorted out first. As with the real railway - you need to get the drainage and utilities in proper working order first, before you even lay the track... let alone start running passenger services, or getting a better menu in the restaurant car... You have to lay the pipes first of all - and test them....... not leave them all broken and laying about the place in some horrific mess....:

Fix the Drainage First.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  3. londonmidland

Valid points synthetic.angel

Although I'd argue those points are more for a separate, in depth thread of how DTG as a company can improve their reputation and products.

• Like Like x 2
  4. synthetic.angel

Okay. I just think it is a really bad idea to place one shaky pile of broken Jenga on top of another shaky pile of broken Jenga. Matt P was apparently recently asked about why the latest UE can't be implemented. And you know the reason... it is because it is apparently like replacing the broken foundations of a broken building with the existing broken building in situ....

I think it would help to get the foundations right as early as possible - before anything else is interweaved into the broken-ness.

There doesn't seem to be any point at all in introducing broken PIS, broken adhesion, broken weather, broken conductor gameplay, broken ASync FF, a map that is even more broken, or more broken scenery on longer broken routes, and to then implement any/all of that on top of an existing broken core, and broken content. That's all I am saying.

I know that I am being radical with my views... and that a lot of people like seeing new broken stuff being quickly hashed together and then sold at premium prices, and especially making it all extra especially broken for eeeuughhh... console players..., because it is a quick and easy way for some console-hating Devs to make lots of dirty £CA$H with near to zero effort - like with the certain unmentionable German DLCs for TSW.

5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

That is an absolutely ridiculous statement!

• Like Like x 2
  6. synthetic.angel

Well, you are 33% right - it was a statement. But not ridiculous. And not "absolutely ridiculous". I don't think that my statement can be ridiculed - not with any substantive reasoning - at least, you didn't supply any. Also, I am not trying to ridicule anyone - I am just setting out the real situation - if you want to counter that with any sort of idea, or rational argument, instead of a baseless value judgment... then feel free.. But as usual - you have no reasoning to contribute - just an unhelpful, toxic, stab in the dark of an ill-considered opinion.

But 33% correct is a drastic improvement on your usual levels of accuracy, which tends to hover around the 0% mark - so I do applaud you for making an improvement. At least you are trying.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  7. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I'd love to see more activity along the lines.

Playing the Cruise the Bay scenario for the Baby Bullet DLC for Peninsula Corridor -- it's pretty odd that the first message you get in the scenario is to watch out for MOW operations and trackside crew that never actually appear. DTG can presumably add things like that to specific scenarios, as I recall there being CSX crew and a branded pickup truck next to the tracks to replace you for the next shift in one of the CSX:HH scenarios.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

A proper 2D map is long overdue. Personally, another top-of-the-list is an improvement to night lighting, with fixes to many locos with broken headlights, scenery lights during winter and early/late times.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Wrip it all up and start again? May not be a bad idea as overall it looks like using Unreal my have been a bad decision. Maybe they need to start looking at some other engine that can be used where 3rd party editing won't be a problem, of course you would need to be able to import current loco's/routes/scenery etc. as people would not be wanting to completely start all over again from scratch, I'm sure.

10. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Even more ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  11. londonmidland

What is?

12. synthetic.angel

Yep - these are my preferred daylight times, and I'd like to see more lighting effects. And I am finding that I like the way they have done it in TS2020 far more than TSW..... Actual buildings and streets with lighting. They've completely ruined it in TSW, because they haven't optimised everything else. I genuinely think that they should switch off the dynamic shadows, wind, and a pile of other stuff that only give marginal (or zero) immersion, or worse, are distracting or immersion-breaking.... and bring back all the stuff that provides actual immersion.

13. Maxxxxx

Maxxxxx Well-Known Member

May i suggest adding a 'Additional timetables for a route' as it isnt a thing right now?
    We currently arent able to create a 2nd timetable for a (DTG) Route, meaning that there could only be one. This means that we/3rd parties cant really make their own one and have to stay with the DTG one.

14. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I agree to most if not all of the list in the OP, couple of additions I'd like to see:-

Random opening/closing of doors (especially the slam doors!)
    Named Loco's, it's just not right seeing a loco in TSW when it carried a name in real life (I know you can't name them all, so amend the random generator to take this into account)
    Older routes to have amendments, like night lighting, traffic & PIS on Class 166
    Birds in the sky
    Animated animals

15. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

That’s insulting to the QA team.

16. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Possibly. I spent £25 on Northern Trans Pennine over a year ago and I still don't have a class 47 that performs like the real thing. I find that pretty insulting as a customer.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Anthony Pecoraro

It’s the same SimuGraph. They don’t know what happened.

18. synthetic.angel

No it isn't. But..... if a member of the QA team is prepared to come to this thread and explain how their professional and systematic approach to QA "mistakenly and sadly missed":

- half of the Oakville map not being accessible, with tracks covered by buildings;
    - how the DB BR 155 loses all sound in tunnels on the route that it was specifically made for on PS4; and,
    - how the Class 47 doesn't work on either console.

You know - that professional approach that they used. The systematic one.

The same approach that leads to features, like the Class 33 refuelling process on WSR being trashed by an ethanol loading process being introduced on a completely different DLC.

That
    professional and systematic approach. I would love to hear all about it.

But since a professional and systematic approach to QA and testing doesn't actually exist in DTG's "process", then we are not going to hear about it. And so, consequently, I think they really should now introduce a professional and systematic approach to QA, QC and testing, as priority over new content using the amateur approach.

It's not an insult - it's constructive feedback, earnestly given to a vibrant collective of train enthusiasts that would like to develop a working train simulator..... at some point.

It's not an insult - it's a learning point continuous improvement quality circle thingy.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  19. synthetic.angel

They must know. They must have the ability to know. DTG made the OOP flow-chart that they call "Simugraph". DTG made it. Simugraph isn't something that some external all-powerful and omnipotent Google has mandated them to use on a set of stone iPads that dropped down from The Cloud five thousand years ago.

DTG made the flow-chart for the Class 47. They have a flow-chart that works for the Class 45, which they could largely copy and paste and tinker with... and.... scary word coming up.... that they could test......if they wanted to, and then make the Class 47 work. The all-mighty Google has given DTG the gift of free will in this matter. It's not Google's fault if DTG continue to sin.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Trenomarcus

Honestly, a big amount of the stuff everyone is reporting each and every time a new DLC is released can be spotted by a single run on the product. So, the QA testers are looking to the other side when testing, or I really don't know how most of the broken stuff manages to be in the final product. Of course, the problem can be on the other side of the chain, i.e. QA testers are reporting bugs but the production team decides not to fix them.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Anthony Pecoraro

Not everything can be fixed before the release date. That’s why there are patches after release.

22. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

If they are aware there are bugs, why release it? Why not delay the release until they have fixed all bugs? From my point of view and I’m sure others, the point of patches is to fix bugs that they did not pick up during testing and should therefore be relatively minor points such as possibly a scenario that can not be completed, etc... not broken traction, fundamental issues with signalling and warning systems.

If they have fundamental issues with traction and signalling on release, let’s be honest, they have no intention of fixing it. And no surprises to see still broken traction such as the HST, Class 47, BR 155, no flashing yellows and this is from well established routes that have been out for over a year if no coming up to 2 years.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  23. Trenomarcus

True, indeed. A release-day patch is a common practice nowadays sadly, but DTG adopt a week to a month after patch strategy which leads to this
    upload_2020-4-4_13-15-15.png

and many problems do not get fixed for years nevertheless.

Is this strategy winning? I don't think so...

• Like Like x 2
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, we know that. What they need to do is start it again. Program a new simulgraph for the 47, from scratch (as if they are doing a new loco), put that with the existing artwork, test it on all platforms, and release it as a hotfix patch to substitute the broken one. Even if they don’t know what they did wrong the first time, and if their simulgraph system is actually rubust, then the new one will work. If that doesn’t work and the new version is still broken, they need to find the flaw in the simulgraph system, because it will happen again and again and eventually come back to bite them. If they cared about me as a customer they would do that, because they took my money for it.

• Like Like x 4
  25. londonmidland

Bugs are inevitable. However if I’m paying for a product, I expect it to work as intended as it says on the can.

If bugs still aren’t fixed a WHOLE YEAR later, then no, the product is not value for money. Especially at full price. That’s DTG putting their heads in the sand and hoping people will forget about it.

Time constraints? Not enough staff? Sorry but that isn’t our problem, as harsh as it sounds. Sort it out.

Anyway, rant over. Let’s not get this thread off topic.

• Like Like x 6
  26. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

See the message directly above mine.

27. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

You will upset the DTG Cerberus :mad:

28. Anthony Pecoraro

The console version of the 47 has the same SimuGraph as the PC 47. For some reason it’s behaving differently though.

29. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Do you work for DTG? Just asking.

30. londonmidland

He doesn't nor does he have any affiliation to do with DTG.

I suppose he answers for them because they rarely ever post on here, except for DLC announcements.

• Like Like x 2
  31. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I remember asking Anthony this question.

32. Anthony Pecoraro

He’s right though. I do not work or have any affiliation with DTG.

33. londonmidland

I think you should leave DTG to post in here though, as a lot of people get the wrong end of the stick.

Their communication on here, the OFFICIAL FORUMS, has been extremely poor. People who don't use Discord receive next to no information on any queries they may have from DTG.

• Like Like x 4
  34. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Nothing personal but you seem to have a lot of inside information that the rest of us don't have access to. So either you have some kind of inside source, a source that nobody else knows about, or your just making up most of what you post here.

So which is it?

• Like Like x 2
  35. Anthony Pecoraro

Discord.

36. synthetic.angel

My general opinion is that Dovetail does not really care about customers, especially customers on ....eeeeugghh ......console. And that they maintain this disrespect even though, for TSW, there are more customers on console, and even though it is these same untermensch that have supplied the £€A$H to save the company from going completely broke. And this is their right, of course - it is their business, and they can make choices about how they would like to abuse the good will of their customer-base, and how close they want to come to testing whether or not the authorities will consider their activities to be a little bit illegal.

What I have described is just business in action. It's unemotional, and rational, and risk-taking, and designed to make a return to investors, or, in the very least, to return the cash borrowed from any very kind lenders, and avoid going to prison. I believe that the people that work at Dovetail are intelligent and rational, and make decisions based on their priorities, that are in their interest and above everyone else's interests. And that is fine. Dovetail is not a charity.

But what you are saying is different. You are actually insulting DTG's competence. You seem to be suggesting that DTG do not have the technical capability to understand their own Trademarked creation, Simugraph, or understand how it is meant to work. You are suggesting that DTG is somehow completely powerless and completely incapable, and even unable to copy their own work, and do fairly basic comparative analyses. I think that they are capable, and sometimes they make some quite nice stuff.

I am suggesting that DTG just choose to not test their stuff on PS4. You are suggesting that DTG is just rubbish, and completely incapable of testing stuff, say, with SimuGraph. I think Dovetail is just operating ruthlessly as a business, but you are suggesting that they are just inept and stupid. You even suggested, in an earlier comment, that DTG do not understand how to work with a diary - that they are not capable of understanding how to delete an event on one day, and pencil it in for another. That's very basic secretarial skills. I have full confidence that the people at DTG are able to manage a diary, even a diary with Mickey Mouse on the front.

You are the one that is being insulting towards DTG. I wish that you would show them more respect. They are very capable and very skilled. They are not as stupid as you seem to suggest.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  37. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Discord is all well and good but it’s awful to navigate, especially on a tablet. Why DTG staff post more on there than here, I’ll never know.

• Like Like x 4
  38. theorganist

Surely you are the one being insulting by saying:

You are saying the likes of Matt and Dimitri don't care about their customers, that isn't the impression I get.

• Like Like x 2
  39. synthetic.angel

I am not actually saying that, although it might be true, now that you propose it. Although, I am generally not convinced by whatever impression you get, because, let's be honest, perception of objective reality isn't really one of your strong points.

That said, the feeling that I get is that both Dmitri and Mr P both really do like their customers - the ones on PC, but I don't profess to have a window into any one individual's soul.

It is possible that they tolerate ... eeeeugghh.... console users..... because they pay the bills, and they might even care about .....euggghhh ....console users.... , but only if it turns out that they have absolutely no power or responsibility to test or fix stuff on PS4 and XBox. But that said, it is also possible that nobody at all has responsibility for caring about console players at DTG. It might well just not be in any indvidual's job description, which would indicate to me that DTG as a whole does not care about console customers.

So - how do we test this? I propose an experiment:

---------------------------
    DAS EXPERIMENT
    ---------------------------

Assumptions: Let's assume that Matt P, or anyone at DTG with some responsibility actually cares about console users.

Test Condition:
    Let's set up some situations where only console users are being given a hard deal, and see if Matt P, or anyone else at DTG, cares enough to resolve the situations - as follows:

Problem 1:
    The DB BR 155 loses all sound as it enters tunnels on RSN on PS4.
    Problem 2A: The Class 47 has had the brake release set-up with a high latency on the L1 button when switching from First Application to Running, when it should really be from Running to Release. This makes the Class 47 almost impossible to control at low speeds when controlled with a DS4 controller on PS4, or XBox controller on XBox (or, indeed, PC).
    Problem 2B: On PS4 and XBox, the Class 47's fields do not switch properly at around 25-30mph, so it doesn't develop any reasonable amount of tractive effort above these speeds. This is not a problem on PC. And it is not a problem with the Class 45 on any platform.

Hypothesis: If DTG care about console customers, then they will immediately instruct their developers to fix the issues with the DB BR 155 and Class 47 for console customers. It should take less than an hour to fix each loco, and the patch will be sent out by the end of next week (Friday 10th April).

Results: Watch this space.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Anthony Pecoraro

Discord is very easy to navigate.

41. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Yeah, just filter through a thousand posts of inane and irelevant bollocks for the actual information I want. Or DTG could post in one spot, officially. Wake up and smell the coffee..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  42. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Just because YOU think it’s easy does not mean it is for everyone else. It’s a total jumbled mess of text. It’s like something you’d find online from 1997.

• Like Like x 2
  43. theorganist

Petty insults really don't worry me!
    The point is the information is available in the public domain, just because you choose not to access I don't see the problem in someone passing on what he has heard!

• Like Like x 1
  44. synthetic.angel

Well, that's a happy happen-stance then, because I wasn't trying to worry you. QED.

45. Anthony Pecoraro

You can search for messages.

46. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Why? I could just read important announcements here.. oh wait..

• Like Like x 2
  47. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Gossip. Not quite the same thing. Non verifiable off the cuff comments as opposed to company position announced on a forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2020
  48. londonmidland

At the end of the day, Discord is NOT an official forum or server for TSW. Although you will hear and find out a hell of a lot more information on there than you would on these forums.

• Like Like x 2
  49. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

These forums are slowly dying a death but I go here first before I trawl through Discord. I find more chat and communication from DTG staff on there than on here. Yeah we get official announcements on here but in between that there is very little reason to visit these forums.

50. londonmidland

As it stands, dynamic weather & improvements to weather systems and visuals is the most popular request from everyone that has voted so far.