Euro Fishing Tips For St. John's Boss Fish??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ilikefish, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Ilikefish

Ilikefish Member

i know this has probably been covered but i am just wondering if anyone knows any good spots or pegs where I can catch some of the nice carp and catfish. Also if anybody knows of any set ups to catch some monsters that would also be much appreciated.
    I have caught a lot on the other lakes but I've never go many from St. John's, thanks in advance for any tips and advice :)

2. Derrick Miller

Derrick Miller Active Member

look for the thread "the boss is in the corner office" :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. GOrd0n Bennet

GOrd0n Bennet Member

I have caught boss carp and cats on this venue from most pegs so I don't think there are any totally duff pegs on this lake. A technique that works well for me on most venues is to put out an early cast to all the likely looking spots in a swim. And catch anything that is in the swim when I arrive. Then bait up in front of me about a rods length out and put all 3 rods over the bait which keeps a steady flow of bites. While looking for fish signs around me which I cast an appropriate bait at. Keep the bait going in and you should notice a few boss fish around. The cats on this lake are easy to spot as they look like Nessie swimming around your peg. Tackle on this venue for me is 10lb line with appropriate size 6 rigs apart from one rod which has 3lb line and a size 12 silt rig (my stand in for a float rod since the update). As the bottom is fairly even, predominantly silt with a few gravel bars at around 60 yards in most swims I keep a size 6 silt and gravel pop up set along with 15mm pop up boilies and tigers. A size 4 silt or gravel pop up rig (depends on the swim and how I feel) along with 24 mm pop up tigers or royal marine (the latter for gravel with a blowback rig).and finally a size 12 hair rig with worms or corn on 3 lb line for roach tench and bream (and ofc a few more carp). I would like to pack more but you can only have four rigs and four baits for your days fishing. It does mean I am constantly looking at my tackle between sessions and trying to optimize it for the swim I plan to fish so probably a good design choice on the whole.

HTH

Simon

4. Ilikefish

Ilikefish Member

Thanks for all the replies so far, I will give all of your suggestions a go!

Thanks a lot,
    Ben :)

5. Yu008qK

Yu008qK New Member

You can change your tackle in the session.

6. GOrd0n Bennet

GOrd0n Bennet Member

I know you can change tackle at the signs around the lake. Trouble is you have to leave your swim to do so and having spent half the session getting it on the feed I am loth to do that. So I just take the 4 baits and 4 rigs as a challenge and try to give myself the most options I can for the swim I intend to fish.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. jammypigeon7

jammypigeon7 New Member

YEAH I HAVE NOTICED TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER LOOK UP BIG BUG ON YOUTUBE HE DOES VIDEOS ON IT