Riviera Line & Avocet Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GhostHunter0554, Apr 12, 2020.

1. GhostHunter0554

GhostHunter0554 New Member

The Riviera line is a coastal railway route from Exeter St Davids to Paignton via Newton Abbot. The Riviera line has beautiful coastal views and beautiful country views aswell. Trains can also head towards Plymouth and Penzance from Newton Abbot. The route is roughly 28.25 miles long, whilst it may lack in the distance sector, it doesn’t lack in the scenery sector. The route is a 2- line route until Dawlish Warren where there are the ‘slow tracks’ for the stations and at Newton Abbot for the capacity to hold multiple trains.

The Avocet Line is the branch off the Riviera line towards Exmouth following the other side of the mouth of the River Ex. Again it goes through wonderful scenic views. This line however is only around 9.5 miles long. But if the two were put together it would make for a lovely length route. This route goes from Exeter St Davids to Exmouth. In comparison to the Riviera Line, this line is primarily 1- line track from Exeter Central until Topsham where it turns to 2 for the ability for services to pass each other, then continuing to 1 track after the station.

The rolling stock on this route has locomotives from both Arriva’s, Cross Country and First’s, Great Western Railway. Both having a unique variety of rolling stock; with XC having the 220 voyagers & 221 super voyager consisting of both 4 & 5 cars respectively with the option to double to make 8 & 10 car trains. XC also has the Class 43 with a layout of 2 power cars and 7 passenger cars.

Whereas GWR has the 143 pacer, 150 sprinter,158 express sprinter, 800 & 802 IETs whilst also having the Class 43 HST* with a layout of 2 power cars and 7/8 passenger cars.
    *These trains have been phased out with the 43s to the scrap and whatnot.
    The pacers/ sprinters can be joined together to form 2,3 and 4 car trains. Making for some interesting scenarios and services if it were to be added.
    The IETs can consist of 5,9 and 10 car trains with the 10 car being a doubles 5 car unit.

The Avocet Line doesn’t have the joys of seeing the 43, 220 and 221 locos must sees the more slower paced commuter services.To get into the Avocet Line you have to pass the Exmouth Junction where it continues along the London Waterloo - Exeter St Davids line or go far right for the Avocet Line toward Exmouth.

Stations:
    Riviera Line:
    Exeter St Davids
    “ St Thomas
    Starcross
    Dawlish Warren
    Dawlish
    Teignmouth
    Newton Abbot
    Torre
    Torquay
    Paignton

Avocet Line:
    Exeter St Davids
    “ Central
    St James’ Park
    Polsloe Bridge
    Digby & Sowton
    Newcourt
    Topsham
    Exton*
    Lympstone Commando*
    Lympstone Village
    Exmouth
    * request stops.

The lines in images:
    Riviera Line:
    upload_2020-4-12_23-37-50.png
    Avocet Line:
    upload_2020-4-12_23-38-47.jpeg
    *Other images are available of all trains, stations and views just I could add more that 5 files so I decided to show the route maps*

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. oscarvirgoe

oscarvirgoe Member

This is a route I have always wanted. I wonder if it could be extended down to Penzance?.They could (they won't, but I can wish nonetheless) XCountry HSTs, and even GWR Sleeper trains, maybe 1 service in and out everyday, and some shunting duties.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GhostHunter0554

GhostHunter0554 New Member

Ay yes you can always wish as I love the stretch to Penzance and the Riviera Sleeper would be especially lovely for that. And some shunting duties at the Exeter St Davids depot would be lovely, bringing trains in and out of service and doing other duties like topping them up on diesel and putting them through the washer

• Like Like x 2
  4. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I used to commute on the Avocet, the views in the early light made up for a 5am alarm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

a lot of us have asked for these lines but i dont think they will be made because they are already made in TS on the PC. im always down in Devon around Exeter and paignton as i visit a friend of mine in Tiverton parkway. i know these lines very well

6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Obviously pushing the boat out here, but Exeter riverside to Plymouth with Paignton route plus the branch out to Exmouth. Please?
    Featuring the riverside at Exeter for terminating freight services. Plymouth Station for terminating and Laira for end of day stock runs. Paignton withe the Goodrington Sidings for terminating services. It would have a more complete feel. It would be a real DTG TSW statement of intent.
    Exeter to Newton Abbott by rail 24 miles ish
    Newton Abbott to Paignton by rail 8 miles ish
    Newton Abbott to Plymouth by rail 30 miles ish
    Exter to Exmouth by rail 11 miles ish
    73 miles plus Laira, Exeter Riverside and Goodrington 5 miles?
    78 miles total.
    NTP 43 miles
    Plus the large amounts of track in 83. The various lines that diverge to Holbeck, Red Bank, Newton Heath. The lines all over the place in the Ravensthorpe area? I wouldnt be suprised if there was maybe 10 miles difference in it?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. dojin19503

dojin19503 New Member