Tsw With Reshade

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Callum B., Mar 25, 2020.

1. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Hello there! I've been working on a ReShade preset to make the lighting in TSW come to life and feel a bit more natural than what is offered by default. Think of it as akin to Alpenfreights simple weather mod, for those who play TS2020. This currently includes:
    • HDR filter to balance the ambient lighting and prevent the "washed-out" appearance (particularly at mid-day, though this hasn't been completely resolved yet)
    • DepthHaze (distance haze) to make the distance scenery (particularly mountains) appear with the slight blue-ish tint observed from light refraction in earth's atmosphere
    • Colour Curves to make the colours appear less... er, cartoony
    • Slight blueish tint overall ambient light as the blue spectrum is well-represented by real sunlight
    • Ambient lighting upgrade with adaptive brightness/gamma to counteract TSW's overexposure
    • MXAO ambient occlusion to make locomotive cabs feel more 3D
    • A rain preset the include all of the above plus slight lighting tweaks and more screen-space reflections (fixes dry platforms on newer routes)
    This means that it is not a magical fix for all of TSW's lighting issues, but I believe it helps to relieve a few of them. Here are some sample screenshots with the before/after look. As you can see, it is subtle, but I like the outcome:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I will probably continue adjusting things ad infinitum, but someone in the community had the bright idea of sharing this with anyone who wants to use it in their game. You are absolutely able to adjust the sliders to your own preferences, but these are the settings I have found to look the best for my system. In this most recent update, I have included respective LOW presets for those who find their GPU struggling with the complete shader set. You will still get full reflections on the Rain preset.

Installation Instructions
    Download the preset .ini file here!

You will need to have ReShade hooked to TSW for this to work. The latest release of ReShade breaks this for some reason, so an older version is included in the zip. Once downloaded:
    1. Open the program as administrator and press "Click here to select a game..."
    2. In the bottom right, press "Browse"
    3. Locate "TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping.exe" within your TSW installation. This should be located within your Steam folder somewhere around "..\steamapps\common\Train Sim World\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Binaries\Win64\"
    4. Select Direct3D 10/11/12
    5. Press OK. ReShade will automatically download its shader library
    6. That's it! You should now see the ReShade banner pop up at the top of your screen next time you launch TSW
    Now that you've got that out of the way, go ahead and install the shader presets.

(If you had downloaded any previous versions, please delete all files/folders related to them from your directory at this point.)
    Extract all of the files within "Drop in Win64 folder" to the same directory as "TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping.exe" (your ReShade installation location). If Windows asks if you want to replace any files, say yes. Next time you launch TSW, press the "Home" buttom on your keyboard to bring up the ReShade menu where you can choose between presets. Click on the banner at the top to open a list of presets. Select TSW - General.ini or TSW - Rain.ini like so:[​IMG]
    If you find the regular presets too taxing on your system, try switching to the LOW profiles instead.
    Please note: you will have to manually switch to the rain preset when playing in a wet environment. ReShade can not automatically switch based on the game's weather profile.

Your game should now look like mine. If you are the fiddly type, all of the shader settings are at your disposal to adjust to your liking. If you have any constructive feedback for how else I could improve the game's appearance, do let me know; it is difficult to get a one-size-fits-all preset for every time and season of the game.

Note: you will notice some visual artifacting on the menu screens. There is nothing I can do to fix this but everything will still function as normal. If you would like to quickly toggle ReShade on and off, just add a keybind under the Settings tab of the Home menu (for example, here I have bound toggle to my Insert key):
    [​IMG]

If you have a beefy PC, these Engine.ini tweaks also greatly improve visual fidelity (particularly with track pop-in and sideline scenery):
    Code:
    [SystemSettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=8
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=4
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-1
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
    If you don't like the shaders and want to uninstall, simply delete dxgi.dll from the installation directory:
    [​IMG]

Many thanks to Crosire and Pascal Gilcher (MartyMcFly) for their excellent FX shaders.

Final note: ReShade will tell you that there is an updated version available online. DO NOT UPDATE. It will break your installation (see comments).

Lastly, if you have any screenshots to share, feel free to tag me so I can see them! Enjoy, cheers! :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Hi Callum,

I've fiddled around this myself in the past in hoping to get wet platforms when it's raining but with no luck, have you managed to find a setting that does this without ruining other objects?

• Like Like x 1
  3. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Yes, please work together you two!

4. Ding

Ding Member

Love it, thanks! Also thanks for the installation instructions!

Edit: Yeah so it does improve the visuals during the day quite a bit, but oh boy driving at night is just stunning with this on!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Callum B.

I'd love to view your favourite screenshots! Please @ me if you post them somewhere so I can see. :)

6. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

That's great Callum, superb stuff, looking forward to download the .ini file once available, you've done much better with the wet effects than I managed ;)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Callum, you are our savior.
    You have to work at DTG.
    thanks again

• Like Like x 3
  8. hyperlord

Maaan what a wizard!!
    Awesome work!

Do you know if the shadow draw distance is "unlockable", too?

You are up for something big here, the screens show such a big positive difference in visual quality and atmospheric immersion it feels like you've been sent by heaven.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

You certainly make ReShade look interesting, but before trying it, I'd like to know how to get rid of these effects if I don't like them or if they decrease performance too much. Thanks!

10. Callum B.

I have been messing around with the commands I posted over in this thread, but unfortunately I have had no luck in getting the shadow draw distance farther than the default scale of 2. Matt is probably correct when he says this is a UE4 4.16 limitation. There might possibly be a shader out there which can mimic world engine lighting from afar, but apart from ambient occlusion shaders, I have not found anything.

MartyMcflys's RT shaders do look promising, but they are currently in a testing stage and are only available for Patron supporters. If/when they are released to the general public (could be years from now), I will try them out on TSW, but since they are a Patreon reward I can't release them in a ReShade mod here in good conscience.

Yes, ReShade is very easy to toggle or uninstall. If you can't decide whether you like the effects or not, you can configure a "toggle" button under the Settings tab of the Home menu, like so (I have mapped mine to the Insert key):
    upload_2020-3-28_9-46-13.png

If you are absolutely sure that you do not like ReShade and was to completely remove it, simply delete dxgi.dll from the installation directory
    upload_2020-3-28_9-48-43.png

11. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

great work, but could you suggest what to tick? as it wont let me download the ini file?

12. Callum B.

Hello, you caught me right in the middle of updating the thread. Revisit the download link, please.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

thankyou foe the help, great work!

• Like Like x 1
  14. hyperlord

Thank you for that great work and instructions! Will give it a try tomorrow and post some screenshots

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jeannot41

Callum, don't I have the menu like you?
    [​IMG]

16. Callum B.

Which part are you missing? The whole thing?

17. Jeannot41

Yes, everything. I don't have the menu that you put in image

18. Callum B.

When you navigate to ".\Train Sim World\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Binaries\Win64\", do you see dxgi.dll in the folder?

19. Jeannot41

20. Jeannot41

21. Jeannot41

What I don't see is the bottom menu

22. Callum B.

Your files look correct. This banner doesn't show up when you start the game?
    upload_2020-3-29_11-51-34.png

23. Jeannot41

Yes, everything works, but not the TSW menus. I don't see them

24. Callum B.

Do you have Discord? It would be easier for me to talk to you there.

25. Jeannot41

Yes I have a discord, but I use google translation because I am French

26. Callum B.

Here, I made a short video for you that will maybe help. From your messages I am not entirely sure how much you are able to see in-game, but here is my process when everything is working correctly:

27. Jeannot41

Impeccable Callum. It works.
    I didn't check the options.
    You are the best.
    Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  28. Callum B.

Aha, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my instructions. I will amend that.

29. Jeannot41

Or it is me who is misunderstood.
    Thank you

30. hyperlord

Dude, this rainy preset is absolutely awesome. THIS is what a rainy morning in Germany looks like :)

I'll dump some screenshots here, first is off, second is on.
    20200329180803_1.jpg 20200329180807_1.jpg 20200329202628_1.jpg 20200329202636_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  31. hyperlord

20200329180912_1.jpg 20200329180920_1.jpg 20200329181115_1.jpg 20200329181134_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  32. hyperlord

20200329181212_1.jpg 20200329181220_1.jpg 20200329181243_1.jpg 20200329181252_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  33. hyperlord

20200329181311_1.jpg 20200329181320_1.jpg 20200329181423_1.jpg 20200329181433_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  34. hyperlord

Callum B. Do you have some experience with Reshade AA filters? I have a potent PC with RTX 2060 Super and I think "da geht noch was" ;-)

35. Callum B.

What are you thinking of? Is your game too blurry? Too jagged? You can toggle SMAA in your ReShade menu if you would like to mess with it and the built-in FXAA/TAA. I personally didn't find it all that useful but there may be some quality adjustments in the .ini?

36. hyperlord

I've read a in-depth article about AA during Christmas holidays, I dig this up first and continue from there.

Only with ingame TAA the horrible flickering is controllable but more often the entire overhead power lines seem to disappear depending on the viewing angle, roof surfaces (building) often do some psycadelic effect from the outside caneras, most edges are still rough. It's just not what I'm used to in WQHD. But upscaling this by 150% is the closest I can see a difference (and still be around 30fps).

The reshade stuff got mentioned often and now it's the first time I got it up and running ;-)

37. oliverpope03

oliverpope03 New Member

Ive just installed this preset, and im loving the more natural look, especially the darkness at night

However when the Rain or Rainlow presets are active im getting odd reflections of the monitors in the train, shown on the floor ahead, this is on the Main-Spessart Bahn line, not tested on other lines as of yet, any ideas?

[ADDITION] Also on the not "low quality" presets reflections are also being buggy everywhere, i believe i might have messed up the installation

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  38. Callum B.

Can you share any screenshots of what you mean? ReShade was just updated and includes new shaders during the installation (differing from the original thread instructions) that may be a contributing factor.

39. oliverpope03

oliverpope03 New Member

Certainly, GeneralLow works perfectly fine, here are the rest:

Attached Files:

40. bigzee76

bigzee76 New Member

Yes, I downloaded reshade this morning to try this out and am getting the same results. I can't even see the headlights on the front of the train, or signal colors for that matter. Cheers!

41. hyperlord

42. Callum B.

What the... what on earth? What does your ReShade menu look like when you open it (the list of active shaders can be pulled by clicking the "Active to top" button. Does it look like mine?

upload_2020-4-13_9-59-53.png

I just reinstalled ReShade and moved the zipped shaders over and everything looks fine on my end.
    TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2020-04-13 09-59-21.png

EDIT: I found one issue, though I'm not sure that it's the cause of the artifacting that you see. With the new version of ReShade, it no longer downloads all of the required (legacy) shaders by default on installation. I updated the instructions. Delete your existing reshade-shaders folder, try the new instructions, and let me know how it works out?

43. oliverpope03

oliverpope03 New Member

im still having the same issue im very unsure why, same settings enabled and everything, im new to reshade entirely so might just be screwing it up massivly. thank you for your fast help :) awesome shaders on generalLow too.

44. Callum B.

I suspect something is going awry with the SSR shader. You can manually disabled it by unticking the box in the Home menu. The ground wetness will be gone but it may be a good temporary solution until I can figure this out. It's very strange that both you and bigzee76 are experiencing the same (or at least similar) issues that suggest it's not an end-user problem. I wonder if anyone else can reproduce the problem? I am not sure.

45. oliverpope03

oliverpope03 New Member

I will try this thank you, its very confusing to me, could it be because I'm on an older system(my computer is broken so im on a medium range laptop)

[UPDATE] The reflection im seeing is in the glass, its like a reflection of what im seeing in the cab in the window. MXAO seems to be the cause of the odd looking trees in the none low settings also.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  46. Jeannot41

I updated Reshade and I don't see it in TSW anymore. A false manipulation surely.

47. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying the TSW + reshade combination. Thanks for recommending it and providing your settings.
    When TSW starts now, there's a message about a new version of reshade, but it doesn't stick around long enough for me to make a note of the web address where the new version can be downloaded. Can you provide that address? Will applying a new reshade version require re-linking it to TSW?

48. Callum B.

There is no need to update ReShade, at least for this particular graphics preset. In fact, I would heavily advise against updating ReShade since the users above seem to be having issues with the latest release for some reason.

If, despite that, you would still prefer to update ReShade, that address is that of the project's website:
    https://reshade.me/

49. Jeannot41

Yesterday, I downloaded version 4.6.0 and today 4.6.1.
    But, still the same, I can no longer have it in TSW.
    I should have kept the old version.

50. oliverpope03

oliverpope03 New Member

I was unfortunate enough to find these amazing reshade sets just days after the update, for when i had it working on the GeneralLOW it really made the game feel more realistic.