PC Synching Progress Between Pc's

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by issurmario, Apr 10, 2020.

1. issurmario

issurmario New Member

Hello,

I am new to Steam and TSW 2020 so please excuse me if my question has been answered elsewhere but I did not find it.

I play the game for 7 hours on my laptop and gained points, advanced in levels and gained experience as a train driver. Then I went to play the same game on my PC and I found that my progress has not been synched and had to start the game from scratch. Is there a way to synch progress between different all instances of the game?

Thanks and regards.

2. Trim

Trim Active Member

Short answer: No.

It's rubbish, isn't it? I suppose you could manually copy the files over from [My Documents]\My Games\TS2Prototype\Saved\SaveGames

• Like Like x 1
  3. issurmario

issurmario New Member

Thanks a lot Trim. Will try that out.

4. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

You can build some sort of steam cloud on your own.
    To do so, you need a cloud provider, which integrates in the windows explorer (e. g. Google Drive, OneDrive).
    Go to Documents/My Games/TS2Prototype/Saved, and move (don't copy) the folder "SaveGames" with all its content to a destination of your choice on your cloud storage.
    In the "Saved", folder, open a CMD (the windows console), and create a hardlink like so:
    "mklink /J SaveGames *path-to-where-you-moved-the-SaveGames-folder*"
    Make this on all machines you are playing TSW on, and you should have some sort of steam cloud. Works like a charm for me

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. issurmario

issurmario New Member

Trim, Your solution worked. Many thanks.

KalteVollmilch, your solution is a more permanent one. I should try that out on my Google Drive. Many thanks for your help.

6. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Be aware, I had a lot of games installed and that my games-folder grew 4 GB big, not much space for pictures left in the cloud then ;-)
    Had to select the sub folders (games) more selective then ...

But actually a very nice workaround for the missing sync

7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

The easy solution is tu use Microsoft OneDrive, which synchronizes data between computers. For a very limited amount of information this is free, but for Euro 99 you buy a one yet subscription for six users, including 1 Tb cloud storage and Office. This is not a bad offer. Through your employer you may be able to get additional discounts.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. issurmario

issurmario New Member

Thank you hyperlord and Rudolf. I am trying the cloud solution soon using Google Drive and see how it goes.

9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Google drive is very different from Onedrive. Onedrive actually synchronizes parts of your C drive over different systems. Google drive is just a cloud drive and does not doe this. .BTW having it all syncronized has disadvantages as well, may you don't want all graphics setting synchronized betwee your high end game computer and a far less performing laptop.

10. issurmario

issurmario New Member

Good point about not wanting to synchronise game settings Rudolf. At least it is easy to change settings on this game.

11. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

The Google Drive client does exactly the same thing when you install it in Windows. I run a backup routine everytime I log in which copies my TSW save files to a folder in my GD folders. Perhaps one day DtG will enable Steam Cloud sync (we hope).