Great Western Express Extension Tsw

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tallboy7648, Apr 26, 2020.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is an interesting debate. I hope I am not getting personal, certainly trying not to be as it isn't in my nature. I think we are all getting bored to some extent and all going rather loopy. Will be glad when its over but some way to go I fear.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It's not personal, I think we need the community to just come together and to advocate and give suggestions to improve this game. One thing I could say that we all have in common is that we love TSW and we all want to see improvements made. The game can be better and there are somethings that I am frustrated about with this game and I just hope Dovetail gets the message from everyone from the Community and makes the improvements like passengers and others.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Mate Im exactly the same. Its such a beautiful game in many respects then suddenly something is so bad its incredible. (skybox and those dreadful 2D clouds as an example). Hopefully at some point UE4 will be updated or something and lots of these immersion breakers will be sorted. In the meantime at the moment when Im not gardening or entertaining my daughter Im either arma3-ing, Kerbal Space Program-ing or Train Simming, and when Im not doing that Im giggling at the forum. Roll on the end of this sorry saga! Had pleasant formal notice of possible redundancy today so got that to look forward to as well.. in the meantime Ive said it before and Ill say it again- while my posts can be on occasion blunt to the point of rude, its never directed at anyone as an individual and if it ever comes across that way I hope people can take it tongue in cheek.

4. tallboy7648

I understand

• Like Like x 1
  5. tallboy7648

I would hope dovetail would fix the core issues of this game.

6. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

And at least TSW2020 doesn't crash and freeze like TS2020! At least on my system, anyway.

7. tallboy7648

Q
    It doesn't crash on my system

8. theorganist

Very sorry to hear that you are being made redundant. I hope you find alternative employment quickly.

It is hard to gauge emotions with the typed word and sometimes we can appear short tempered when we don't mean to, I know some of my posts can appear that way when reading them back. Although I admit I have responded tersely when I have read something extremely frustrating!

• Like Like x 1
  9. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Of course I won’t like it if that person doesn’t even understand the reasons they may be doing long routes.
    1. Don’t you understand that DTG doesn’t make long routes due to the time it will take.
    2. DTG might consider doing route extensions but it for sure won’t be at the top of there list.
    3. And when the editor comes out there will be 3rd party group who will possibly make long routes

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Then those people don't understand how things work and are being overly simplistic.

The routes on GWE would end at Cardiff (129 miles), Swansea (162 miles), Bristol (105 miles), Penzance (253 miles)... All of those are too long for the development cycle of TSW, even if there have been routes created in TSx of similar length. There's also a point that although a train service may start at one point and end at another the same driver may not drive the whole route, whereas in TSx or TSW terms you CAN drive the whole route

So again, longer routes, route extensions, more traffic, more complexity... All great and I would love to have all of them in the game, but fom a business point of view for DTG there has to be a break in development somewhere that allows them to make money on their development time and even if we may not agree with that system, or want something else, we have to be pragmatic and understand that if they spend two years making something and they're not selling anything then they're working on what money? You're probably going to say they sell a lot of content from other things, but they're developing for all of those platforms, and they're not the same staff developing for all games... There's only so many sales they make off older DLC

• Like Like x 4
  11. tallboy7648

I don't agree with how Dovetail makes money by releasing routes that don't go the full way. I don't think we should've had to wait almost three years for third party support and editing tools. And their still making money regardless. Their business practices are very questionable just like EA was.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  12. tallboy7648

It hasn't crashed yet

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

TS2020 is very annoying sometimes. I spent best part of a day making a scenario for Riviera in the 50's and it won't open in either drive mode or in the editor. I have tried turning settings down but it still won't open, I just get a generic dump report telling me it is a graphics issue and to try using the 64 bit version, which I am using! The scenario was quite intensive but I have made more intensive ones which worked.

TS2020 always feel fragile and you always have in the back of your mind that it could crash at any moment!

TSW certainly seems much more stable I think it has only ever crashed once.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  14. ARuscoe

It got a lot less stable when they ported it all over to 64 bit. Hopefully in TS2021 they will do something about it (not holding breath at all)

• Like Like x 1
  15. cameronwilson1

cameronwilson1 New Member

I'd also like to see the GWR extension from Reading to Redhill and Gatwick Airport, its a very underrated route with lots of stunning scenery as the track winds through the Surrey hills

• Like Like x 2
  16. tallboy7648

I want to see a great western express extension as well. The route has been out for three years and people keep asking for extensions. It's getting annoying. DTG won't even be bothered to answer when third party support will come to extend the routes that they currently have. This game has been out for three years and in three years they can't get third party support to extend routes. I think DTG should do a poll to see if people want route extensions to some current or new routes.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  17. ARuscoe

They answered that ages ago
    Can't edit existing routes without being able to access baked assets, if you can edit baked assets in TSW then you can edit baked assets in any UE4 game, and apparently that's a bit of an issue, so rather than "extending" routes, you're likely to be talking similar to TSx where one route goes one hop, the next route does the next hop etc etc

• Like Like x 1
  18. tallboy7648

It's still possible to extend the routes, it's not impossible according to Dimitri. Maybe they should've had a plan if they knew more people are gonna ask for Extensions. Maybe make the route and take the time to do so to go to the end destination. I think DTG should do a poll to see what the whole community wants. New routes or route extensions along with fixing the bugs of this game.

19. ARuscoe

I don't remember any of their routes being requests directly...

20. tallboy7648

Interesting

21. theorganist

Oh I haven't used it much for a couple of years, just getting back into it as I miss all the steam loco's and making period scenarios.

64 bit was supposed to make it more stable not less!

• Like Like x 1
  22. ARuscoe

Not quite, 64 bit was to stop one particular bottleneck which was the 4Gb memory address limit which applied to all 32bit systems, and some of the longer and larger scenarios (especially in built up densely populated areas) were hitting this 4Gb address limit and causing crashes. Unfortunately 64bit seems to crash for little or no reason that anyone can work out...

23. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

I could live with that!

24. theorganist

Well I have submitted a support request. Having had many crashes in scenario writing in 32 bit mode, especially writing fairly intensive scenarios, 64 bit mode was supposed to be more stable in that regards, as in 32 bit mode intense scenarios were taking up more memory than 32 bit mode could use.

Anyway I think we have rather gone off topic here!

25. tallboy7648

64 bit works fine on my computer in ts

26. theorganist

It is working fine generally although I have read of several people having problems with crashes in it and I have this problem with one scenario which may or may not be some corruption with my scenario.

27. tallboy7648

Hopefully dovetail will fix it

• Like Like x 1
  28. theorganist

Thanks, I hope so as it is frustrating spending all that time on it for it not to work!

29. tallboy7648

I wonder how much time it took to make the 64bit version