PC Tips For New Players Of Train Sims

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Nox, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Nox

Nox Member

Hi all,

I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where people new to Train Sims can ask their questions, and where experienced players can drop tips and help along the way. It can be a bit overwhelming trying to learn everything when there are no advanced tutorials or documentation.

I'm new to Train Sims this year, and thought I'd ask the experienced community for a few pieces of advice, especially regarding how to keep to the schedule in GWE. Sorry if they are 'noob' questions but we all start somewhere. I've already googled certain things such as what the signals mean, but I still have more questions I couldn't find answers to:

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to stick to the schedule exactly, there is so little time to get between stations that I always fall a couple of minutes behind. Do you have tips on how to be more accurate? What's the best way to gain speed quickly? In the screenshot below, I was 2 minutes behind all stops, and got a red x except for one station - why was that station marked okay when it was also late; how does it work?
    21617537_10212555914825825_1463868686289468854_n.jpg

Next, is there a way to know what the speed limit is when you're changing tracks before you get there? For example, there's a switch at Hayes and Harlington at 15mph, but I don't see any warning before the switch itself. Is it just a case of memorising it?

In the scenario "Christmas Closures" I get a constant beeping sound/alarm on the return leg in the HST before the train comes to a complete stop. I have no idea what it is. There are no explanations anywhere. (It isn't AWS/DSD). Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate any help and feedback.

2. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Great idea Nox! I'll see if i can get some dev tips to get this kicked off :D

- Jay

• Like Like x 1
  3. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

As for as keeping to your schedule goes try and get into good rhythm of things when you are arriving and departing from stations. Be consistent with your starting and stopping and opening of doors for the passengers. Proficiency in these tasks will allow to shave on seconds on each stop and help keep you on schedule. The Class 166 has really good acceleration and stopping power - use this to your advantage. When you are coming into a station you can come in at a pretty decent speed (34-45 MPH) and the train will slow down really fast once a good amount of breaking force is applied. As soon as the train is stopped open up those doors and start the boarding process and as soon as it is over, hit that warning button and close the doors. When I am departing the station I kick it into notch 2 right away and get to speed pretty quick. Around 15-20 MPH I will increase the throttle to max and let her get to track speed until I am 700-800 yards from the next station and then I start reducing speed. Like I said, its all about getting into a rhythm and getting comfortable with how the train operates.

For the speed warning, I usually keep my HUD on and that will give you the indication of when the next speed change is. As for markers on next to the track itself if you like your HUD off, I am not certain on that.

4. Nox

Nox Member

PlatChap thanks for those tips. I think I must be losing time when braking, slowing down too soon. I'll be a bit more aggressive next time! Thank you!

Keep those hints and newbie questions coming in, everyone, let's build this thread :)

5. Gipetto58

Gipetto58 New Member

What's the difference between Train Sim World and TS 2017? Thanks

6. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

Gipetto58: TS2017 is a train simulator based on the old 32bit Microsoft Train Simulator from 2001 with an old graphics engine.
    Train Sim World is a brand new 64bit game with Unreal Engine 4 graphics.

7. MontyShrew

MontyShrew New Member

Play Train Simulator(2018 is out soon) if you want loads of routes and trains to play on, an easy going drive where you just get into drive and want to hear the train and do not have a reasonable device to play- on. Career mode is more realistic but unavailable on the majority of third party DLC some of which can be great or very poor.
    TSW if you have a good device, (my laptop copes -just- on low settings), want to play with more details of train driving rather than the having a drive all over the world. You may also need to purchase extra hardware or use a Control pad to play it.
    Shame neither offer a Demo to try and test each and your device.

8. MontyShrew

MontyShrew New Member

Timetables are very tight and require you to play them over and over to get used to each station and train. Once you leave the tutorials-Hints stop and you will also need to remember what buttons you need to press, in what sequence, and where they are.

Train Simulator provides a screen hud allowing you plenty of time to see your next station and the route your on.

9. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I don't follow this; it's perfectly playable with a regular keyboard and mouse.

10. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

I find that the timing stops at stations on most scenarios are unrealistic, The act of boarding and leaving trains at stations cannot be done safely when a time limit is imposed. It is not done in real life, so why is it imposed in scenarios.
    I agree with Nox. and you should not have to charge at the platform and make a last minute brake application to arrive on time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

You will find speed restriction signs all around the map, except in yards.

If you're driving somewhere and the speed goes up, then you'll encounter a round sign with the new speed limit on it. If there are two speeds on one sign, the lowest one applies when you're running with a locomotive.

Before a speed limit decrease, you'll find a triangular warning sign to point you to this. If the speed limit only applies to a diverging route, an arrow above or below the warning sign points this out to you. If you're going straight ahead, you can ignore the warning. If the change in speed is significant, the AWS will sound.

In yards, speed limit signs are not to be expected as speeds are low in general (10 / 15 mph).

12. Nox

Nox Member

I don't think there are any triangular warning signs on the route in TSW (I may be wrong, of course, but I can't remember coming across any.)

13. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

They're definitely there and some are hooked up to an AWS magnet as well.

If you leave Reading on the fast line for Paddington you'll come across one hooked up to AWS; it alerts you to a crossover ahead with a 75mph speed limit.

14. MontyShrew

MontyShrew New Member

Also if you are used to driving by sound then TSW will need to be set on incredibly high volume just to hear it slightly.

15. Nox

Nox Member

Oh yes, crossovers I do see those signs at the crossover, but I don't any warning signs for standard speed changes.

16. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

My feeling about this is that very tight timings are imposed simply because DTG believes that rail simulator fans want nothing more than to collect baubles, bangles, and beads.

17. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Or maybe they're imposed because this is real timetable and it operates just like that? For once TSW seems to be realistic about something. Just now did another service on 166, arriving on each station at scheduled time +/- 20 seconds while:
    1. Stopping at required point at platforms within 4 yards
    2. Sounding buzzer and horn before departure
    3. Departing nice and smooth at 3rd notch
    4. Not using Full Service brakes application whatsoever, only notch -2, smoothly stopping at -1
    5. Not breaking line and switches' speed limits
    6. Browsing Reddit on second display
    So timings are perfectly OK, if they seem unrealistic for someone, I can only suggest getting gud.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

Just some screenshots for you, they are there. ;) There are not so much speed changes on the route anyway, mostly near Paddington Station and only a few on the rest of the route.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nox

Nox Member

Hmm... that's odd, I'd not seen them before. Perhaps there was something off on my game previously with lower graphics settings, or something, or well, maybe I was just blind (which I doubt, I had no issues spotting them in TS2017). Either way, thanks!

20. RonexUK

RonexUK New Member

Hi all, how do I take photos in CSX,

21. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

F12 or cntrl+f12

22. RonexUK

RonexUK New Member

Piussi, many thanks, I now need to contact dispatch before I can continue but how???

23. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

For red signal ? If its for the signal its the tab key.