Up Laramie Subdivision (aka Sherman Hill) In The 1980s

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MetrolinkF125#916, May 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

So, DTG, you’re telling me you like 80s style British routes huh? Well, if you want another route set in this time period, then why not an American route? Perhaps this will be the first American route set in this time period, not to mention the first heavy haul freight route/trains in TSW for console players. The reason why I’m suggesting a route that far back in time is for variety, and because the time period features very interesting trains not seen anymore on these rails. So, if you’re interested enough already, keep reading to find out more about it.:)

Part 1: The Route
    The UP Laramie Sub (aka Sherman Hill, located in this subdivision), is a 56 mile hill climb on this subdivision, running between Cheyenne, Wyoming and Laramie, Wyoming. This route will be the route of many people’s dreams here as having a heavy haul freight route in TSW besides Sand Patch. This route features a 1.5 percent grade climb to an elevation of 8,015 feet, so you’ll be hauling heavy tonnage while keeping a train in control up/down the grade. The line was built in the 1860s as part of UP’s transcontinental Railroad project, which includes a double track mainline in the route. If anyone finds the climb too challenging, there is a “track 3”, aka the Harriman Cutoff, built in 1950, offering a less steep climb. The line is one of America’s busiest freight routes, with sees unit, manifest, and intermodal traffic in each direction. This route ain’t that much longer than HH, so I doubt DTG will have a problem with the route. Also, DTG already has up licensing, so that’s another problem outta the way.
    upload_2020-5-17_21-33-36.jpeg

UP SD40-2 on Sherman Hill around the late 70s, early 80s
    Part 2: Rolling Stock
    Now, to the trains. Of course, since this is a circa 1980 route, we won’t be seeing any ES44s, SD70s, or -T4 models. Of course it is up to DTG’s decision if they want the 80s version or the modern version (forgot to mention that in part 1). But, what we would be seeing, is locos such as a GP40-2, GP60, SD60M “triclops”, SD40-2, and a GE C40-8. It is DTG’s decision to what locos will come included with the route. The locos I suggest to be included are a GP60, SD40-2 (or SD60M) and a C40-8. As for freight cars, we would see manifest freight cars (although some adapted due to the time period), auto racks (as seen in the image above), piggyback trailer cars, and covered hoppers.
    upload_2020-5-17_21-41-29.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-17_21-42-25.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-17_21-43-26.jpeg
    Part 3: DLC

At last we get to the final part in the route creation: what dlc could be included. There are many locos to be included in the route, so if a GP60, SD40-2, and C40-8 get included, then maybe we could get a SD60M with the “triclops” cab design.

Final Thoughts
    In conclusion, this route will be very interesting to add in TSW since it’ll be the first heavy haul TSW route for console players, and it’ll be the first 1980s American route! It also features very interesting trains. Feel free to give your opinion in the comments below!:)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I would definitely like to see an American route like this added to the sim... great idea, and a nice justification too (with plenty of meat to it). Hope DTG listens to proposals like this... if they make something like this available, I’m buying it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I like this idea. We so need more US heavy freight routes. This would be perfect. If we get 1980s era UP diesels, I'd also like to suggest the GP20, SD45, GP15-1, GP40-2, GP30, GP35 and GP50. A DD35 and DD35A or a DD40AX would be amazing.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  4. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Yes, a dual engine unit would be amazing, the first of its kind in the game! It would make a great add on (maybe even one of the default engines included in the route) and loco for mainline freight trains!:)

• Like Like x 3
  5. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Very nice northamerican diesels and very nice route. Great proposal.

• Like Like x 1