Surely This Is Not What Its Like In Reality In The Cab

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Zammy Martínez, May 17, 2020.

1. Zammy Martínez

Zammy Martínez Active Member

How is that after all this time this hasn’t been fixed?
    I dont see another train coming till its right in my face, honestly what kind of dim lights are these? I just feel like im driving a tube train in total darkness, even the lights on them are bright!

come on man

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trainzdriver328

Trainzdriver328 Active Member

It's the same with me too. With the Class 166, the light is not as strong either

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reeonix

Reeonix Member

Headlights on a lot of older BR trains aren't bright by design. It also doesn't help that the HST cab window has some tint to it but it may be overdone in the game. But at least when driving on some of the current British content for TSW don't expect the headlights to do much.

4. Zammy Martínez

I know, its so fake man, i hope i dont seem moany to them or anything because ive had many things to say over the last 2 years, but we just want a bit of authenticity - well i do

5. Zammy Martínez

Yeah i know that, but surely in real life your not driving in complete darkness like that at night?
    Ive seen it on video and someone on here posted real footage to prove against my point, but in real life your gona see a train coming from a good 900 yards, not just as its about to pass you.

plus it brings me on to the point of why they only given us hst 125 and class 165/166, theres other locos missing which would have brighter lights, but dtg wana limit things for some reason

6. septafan

septafan Active Member

Older British trains really didn’t have headlights, they are more of a marker light to show direction of travel of the train. Look at YouTube videos of trains back in the 80s and the headlights are not bright at all.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Zammy Martínez

Ok cool man thanks for that, so tsw are being realistic after all lol, thats all i ask

• Like Like x 1
  8. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, in TS1, where processing of light sources isn't quite so performance critical to the simulation (as handled in UE in TSW), the old British locos all seem to have powerful lights as light sources that light up the path in front of them, and reflect off infrastructure and lineside furniture.. Odd, eh?

Perhaps they got it wrong in TS1, and the not processing of reflections from light sources in TSW is just a coinicdence, and the "marker" explanation is really true, and that weak lights don't actually emit any reflectable light, even when it is pitch black outside. Maybe.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Actually in this case DTG are correct. Link to standards for UK lighting below. Definately worth a read. There's a fundamental philosophy difference behind lights in the UK compared to the US.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GMRT2483%20Iss%201.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi6mbvG7MHpAhVqRxUIHfsJDfkQFjANegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw14FYsCUb3gz4tHDJJMGau5

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Zammy Martínez

I was thinking all of this, even though sunscreen is correct also, i find it annoying, but what can we so

11. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Yep - you can do nothing about it at all. I am fairly sure that if the optimisation allowed for it, then light sources on all British locos in TSW would happen by default. The Class 33 on WSR has light sources. The 08 and 09 have light sources - critical for shunting in the dark.... The MkII baggage vans on NTP have light sources (the lighting in those, by the way, is fabulous). The Doppelstock on MSB have fabulous blue interior lights that are light sources.

Even the very faintest marker light on a loco would produce enough light to reflect off a tunnel wall, or a highly reflective lineside sign. A pen torch would produce enough light... What's annoying is that the marker lights (that are not light sources) are sometimes depicted as blazingly bright (40, 45 and 47)... but functionally they are black holes....

Then again, I would quite like signals and ground signals to be light sources as well - they'd look amazing in the rain..... That is a "Wouldn't It Be Nice If...." because I actually really like the way the signals look as they are. But if they were light sources as well, and you got a hint of a reflection in your cab... that would be nice - but probably computationally expensive when you approach a gantry with lots of signals on it...

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

^ I completely agree with Plastic Pal with his post above. The lights, while accurate on UK stock in that they illuminate Jack S**t by design, are poor in the sense that they don't emit any reflected light off objects, while the sunlight paradoxically manages to reflect back in your face off the front windscreen after penetrating the rear cab wall and a few tons of engine, even with 100% cloud cover (on GWE try going west just after sunrise, itll wreck your head). The utilisation of UE seems so amateurish sometimes compared to other titles, which is so disappointing. Tbh I question the wisdom of using UE at all given the issues with motion blur etc, not to mention the myriad other complaints we see on here. For the first time I find myself thinking its time to let the experiment that is TSW die, and start again with a from the ground up evaluation of technology. It is what it is though. Still only have GWE, NTP, ECW and WSR in my collection. Not adding to it anytime soon. Its too bland at the moment- no soul to the sim, no replayability. :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Zammy Martínez

Haha that signal thing you Said, i agree