Dovetail Store Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alan t, May 20, 2020.

1. alan t

alan t New Member

Hello

Does anyone know if there is actually anyone at Dovetail Store support , or if there is an alternative way to contact them?

I have been emailing the Dovetail Store support (storesupport@dovetailgames.com about problems with my add-on purchase since 12 May and have no response at all. I also raised a support ticket for the problem on 16 may and have had no response to that either.

(My problem was after buying the add-ons and them immediately trying to activate it in Steam I get a duplicate product code error in Steam. I get this same problem with two purchases.)

Thanks for any help
    Alan

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Perhaps the lockdown has something to do with the delay.

3. alan t

alan t New Member

Thanks for reply .... I guess it might.

I would have expected a technology company would be able to put alternative arrangements in place to continue operating effectively, or at least an automated email reply saying support was delayed or slower than usual.

4. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

The important thing is whether or not the cash payment went through. Did that part work successfully?

5. alan t

alan t New Member

Thanks for the reply

Yes it did - as they sent me the product codes. My hope with this thread was if anyone here knew what was going on with the store support - rather than fixing my problem.

6. Plastic Pal

Okay - cool. No problem. Well, if payment was taken, then why worry about what happens after that?

7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Am I the only one struggling to understand these replies?

The OP stated that the issue is duplicated items (according to Steam) not whether the purchase went through.

If payment has gone through and you don't have what you paid for (whether through own fault or Steams quirkiness) then Yes it's reason to contact DTG, do you not agree?

I read somewhere that there is a quirk with Steams handling of DLC's that if you purchase I slight variant of something already in your library (like something that was bundled with another route) then it falsely flags that you already own the new item too, afaik the only way to fix this is by doing as you have done and contacting DTG, I hope your problem gets sorted soon.

8. Plastic Pal

My understanding now is that the OP's query is about whether or not anyone at DTG (Store) is answering their emails, or having other communications issues - to check if anyone else had a similar communications issue, and sense-check whether there was another route to communicate with them.

The OP could ask TrainSim-Steve to look into it - who is often quite superb at picking up queries in the Forums, and finding a fix, or giving a really good explanation, in my recent experience.

(Apologies to TrainSim-Steve if this is really not his area)

EDITED TO ADD: Thinking on this, I wonder if the "duplicate product code" described by the OP means "a code that has already been activated" - in which case, this could be a very serious issue for DTG Store to look at as quickly as possible, especially if either:

- DTG Store is issuing the same codes to a number of people (admin foul up); and/or
    - someone else has accessed a list of DTG Store's codes and selling/using them (fraud/theft).

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

If it's a case where the code was indeed sold after theft of the same code, that is indeed a serious issue. I have to date only bought on Steam, so the products activate and download immediately. The only other place I generally get Steam codes is Humble as some of the bundles are actually pretty good, and this very game was a bundle I got there.

Plastic Pal, they are currently answering e-mails, but I am sure they are working from home. I know someone who submitted a couple of recent queries, one regarding Sherman Hill scenarios not working, and his answer was it's only usable in 32-bit mode. He got that reply within a day. So perhaps the lack of answer means they are researching and don't want to reply until they actually have an answer.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  10. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately, we're down a person in Customer Support at the moment which is probably why there's a bit of a delay in getting back to you. However, support tickets are generally answered in the order they are received. We receive hundreds of requests for support every week, so it can usually take a bit of time to get to your ticket. Sorry, it's taking a bit longer than we'd like to get to yours.

We're sorry to hear that you received a duplicate product code for an add-on purchased through the store. This does sometimes happen. We're sure you can appreciate that Valve generates millions of product codes every year, and whilst there are stringent checks, sometimes the odd duplicate code slips through. We can only apologise that this has happened to you. However, you did the right thing and contacted our support to resolve the issue.

If you want to PM me with your ticket number, or share the information about your order, I'll take a look and get it sorted out for you.

Best, Steve

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. alan t

alan t New Member

Thanks for the replies Reef, Plastic Pall, Cyclone and TrainSimSteve .... I will PM TrainSim-Steve with the details of the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I too get no response from storesupport@dovetailgames.com as well. Purchased an item yesterday in Madness sale and although payment was taken immediately still awaiting purchase details and code from DTG store, this has happened before and had to resort to DTG game support to resolve purchase issues. It’s not down to Lockdown as over the years it has been the same. Will advise Steve too, if I do not get a response from DTG soon. The last time I purchased I got no response at all from DTG although Scalefast took my payment immediately. I lost faith purchasing from DTG and buy from JT or Steam these days, however I decided yesterday to buy in the DTG sale and thought I would initially buy a low cost item to see of things had improved but again the same happened, so no more purchases. If no news by Monday will contact Steve as suggested.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  13. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Given that is has only been 24 hours (and today is a weekend), I'd exercise some patience.

However, I've always logged any purchase issues through the ticket system (the same system as game bugs) and they've usually been pretty prompt (a few days at most)

14. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I will be waiting until next week so no worries

15. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Shame that happened. Was that your first purchase direct from DTG? I presume you checked your email and junk folder?

I bought three low cost items from the DTG site yesterday in the sale, paid, and got sent emails with a link to click to get the codes. Thankfully it went without issue.

16. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

I also had an issue with a DTG purhase last night and again this morning, Payment made, Paypal receipt arrives, but no activation code for product. Have raised a ticket and await the response.

17. inversnecky

Crikey, think I might think twice about that option in future!

18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

19. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

That links all well and good Peter but you'll notice that most (myself included) have already submitted tickets, we (well I at least) have not missed out any steps or forgot to check under the carpet or behind the dresser in my junk mail folder, DTG's amazing site has failed at a critical stage of the transaction process pure and simple. All we can do is wait for the support tickets to get read and responded too.

20. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It's a weekend so the support side might be a little slow

21. Cyclone

They probably don't even work weekends. Good way for the ticket system to get clogged up. Should be working weekends IMO.

22. mike.duncan

mike.duncan Member

Allow me to add my name to the numerous people who purchased a bunch of stuff on sale on Thursday, had my money taken, and then received nothing. I'm glad that I used Paypal, since that gave me an itemized receipt. Also not receiving any answers from support. Hey DTG, if you need to hire a part timer for the weekends, I could use the extra cash... because I buy too much Train Simulator DLC...

• Like Like x 2
  23. Cyclone

Yes, some of us I am sure by now could use jobs during this pandemic. I know I am doing nothing personally, though I am also in another country.

24. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Still no response from DTG store, three days now. To be fair the last time this happened we were not in lockdown. Sent an email to DTG store but have never received a response before. I could do with the job too and I’d make sure everyone got a decent service. An automated response from DTG would be good, then we would know if our emails had been received. Thankfully the guys in technical support are ace and will take this there if no response in the next 24 hours.

25. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Same here, just bought a bunch of DLC with PayPal, have a receipt from them but no DLC from Dovetail as yet.

26. cscarpenter

Just as an update I am starting to agree with the "Paypal being used" theme to this problem. I took a gamble this morning and purchased the 422 '4BIG' but this time used my Credit Card. Instantly received email with activation code and installed no problem. Like the rest of you I am still waiting for a reply to my last Friday transaction.

27. inversnecky

Yes, that does seem to be the common issue. The 422BIG was one I got too.

I only ever really used PayPal for eBay, and even then payments were instant, but could the issue be more to do with PayPal?

Presumably the DTG back end is set up to send an email immediately on receipt of payment, so if it’s not happening, maybe there’s a breakdown in the chain between PP and DTG, and DTG is somehow not receiving notification of payment, even though it’s been made?

And since I’ve read it’s been a perennial problem, they should really remove PP as a payment option, or provide a warning.

28. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I had issues last year and this was where I was directed to by DTG support. May be worth a try.

29. cscarpenter

Up till now I have made nearly all of my DLC purchases with Paypal with no problem, although must admit usually through Steam not DTG directly.

30. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

I always use PayPal and have never had an issue until today.

31. mike.duncan

mike.duncan Member

I've purchased DLC off of this site using PayPal any time something comes up in the Weekly Deals that I don't have yet, but have never had an issue until this current sale.

32. inversnecky

Maybe just after closing hours ion Friday, something went skew whiff - that's a technical term for those of you who are not IT experts like me :) - and the IT guys will need to sort it out.

33. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

I heard back from support about my failed PayPal. I need to wait on a refund because the transaction did not complete. It should take a few working days for the systems to trigger the refund, once the order times out.

34. mike.duncan

mike.duncan Member

Check your PayPal activities. The PayPal went through, rather than just being pending and you will see itemized receipts in the confirmation page. Look, if something was messed up at the Dovetail Store or Scalefast, then fine, $#!+ happens (I also work in IT and know the lingo), but the fact that they're blaming it on PayPal not completing the order kinda LOVE me off. I mean, will these items still be on sale by the time we get a refund? All just sounds like passing the buck to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  35. cloudrandom

cloudrandom New Member

Can confirm I have had the same issue- paid with Paypal. Transaction has completed via paypal- the funds have fully cleared out of my bank account too- and no code or even an order number on the order history page. Dovetail only got back to my original email so far.

36. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Hear hear!

37. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Uh yeah, well that didn't go so well..
    Image5.jpg
    You can't make this S*%& up honestly!

• Like Like x 1
  38. cscarpenter

Have had no word from DTG or anybody for that matter but thought I would just double check my DTG account and Lo & behold,
    Both Paypal transactions have been cancelled at some point this afternoon.
    Transactions.jpg
    Would have been nice to know !!!
    Just need to keep my eye on my PP account to make sure.

39. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Guys,

Responding to some of the posts in this thread:

Sending an email to storesupport will not get you a response. As advised in my post here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/for-help-with-dovetail-store-purchase-problems.29008/ we no longer use the email address and you should instead follow the guidance in the post.

Store concerns have elevated priority for us and we typically reply the same day or the next business day if sent after hours, so, if you've not received a response after 1 business day, drop me a PM with your ticket number and I'll look into the reasons why you've not had a reply.

As of this morning, we understand there was a widescale PayPal outage on Thursday/Friday that has affected a large volume of online stores as has been reported on downdetector and similar live service tracking sites. However, we're awaiting formal confirmation from our store managers on the exact cause of the problem.

PayPal is a third-party payment provider and they are just as prone to going offline as any other online site. Live services, as you well know as an IT professional, are not infallible and had it been a problem with our store, we would own up to it. As it stands, we know that PayPal has had some large scale issues reported globally recently and it is likely that was the culprit. However, until we hear back from our store managers, all we can do is use the information we have at hand until we actually know the root cause.

If you have attempted to make a purchase of sale items and the items are no longer on sale at the time the issue is resolved and/or you receive your refund. All you need to do is submit a ticket and provide us with a screenshot of the cancelled transaction receipt and we'll honour the sale price at the time of the cancelled transaction. Note we can only provide you with the items as listed in your transaction receipt, you cannot add or remove any items from the transaction.

For notifications, you'll need to check your PayPal account if they allow transaction notifications. I'm not sure they do but it's worth checking.

Hope this helps.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  40. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve. I haven’t received a response from the Store yet, but sent an email to Chris at customer services this morning, who explained that the paypal order was cancelled. I had this problem in January. I have just minutes ago redone my order using a card and received a confirmation response from DTG in seconds. Thank you for the advice, will not use PayPal in future for DTG purchases and will use a card instead. Look forward to the original order being refunded in due course.

41. Cyclone

I might recommend extending your current sale, so attempting purchasers can still get their items. I personally will stick to Steam in the meantime. No problems there.

• Like Like x 1
  42. cscarpenter

This debacle just gets better, not only has my pay pal not been refunded, they have taken my money three times for the same product.
    Yesterday my PP account was showing cancelled, today showing Validated.
    Payment confirmed and I end up with 3 x Duplicate items
    Completed-1.jpg Completed-2.jpg Completed-3.jpg
    Have now received activation codes for a duplicate item that I already own, due to me re-purchasing on card.
    Anyone want a DP1, I now own 3 of the sods.
    I haven't dared click on the activation link in case it negates me claiming my refund.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  43. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I have just received confirmation of my original order so now expect a refund having sent the confirmation to DTG support.

44. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

I'll take a DP1 if its still available?

45. Cyclone

I can check if I have it and DM you. I have codes I can trade. That way it is not a waste.

• Like Like x 1
  46. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

Cool as. I have a couple of spares. DM me and I'll let you know what I have.

Cheers.

47. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member