Right Decision?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reef, May 20, 2020.

1. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Mrs Reef has just ordered my birthday present, A RailDriver!

I'm a little nervous now that it's soon to become a reality, hope I made the right decision.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Well no going back now.. :D:cool:
    Image11121.jpg
    Gutted I've got to wait six weeks to open it though. :|:mad:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I thought your picture was just a JPEG..... but it seems to have sound.... Hang on... I think I can make something out... it's coming from the box... it's a voice... It is saying:

"Open me. Open me now. You know you want to. Open me.... Please... let me out of here...."

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Surely testing it for a couple of days would be no more than the responsible thing to do...?

• Like Like x 1
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not that it will work with each train - but you might already know that

• Like Like x 1
  6. Plastic Pal

Well it's up to the OP. There have been a few cold nights recently, and electronic equipment can often get a bit of condensation build up inside them when being transported. Probably a good idea to at least open the outer parcel packaging, let some air circulate around those vital sensitive components.

But... if the OP is willing to take the risk of excessively corroded contacts... then that is their choice...! ;-)

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I've shown my Wife this thread, and after an eyerolling "tut" she called you all children (don't worry she calls me a child and I'm 50 this coming birthday), so even after a valiant effort lads it looks like I'm still waiting another six weeks.. :( :)

8. Plastic Pal

You could forge a new birth certificate... or...or.... ooooh..... how about this.....

.... open it very carefully.... get it out and hide it..... then put some weights in the parcel and reseal it, and then put the parcel back.... and then wait until she goes out of the house for a bit so that you can try it out, and then a couple of days before your birthday, put it back.... and open it in front of her, and say "Oh darling... you shouldn't have....! This is just what I always wanted....!" etc.etc.

Easy peasy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Hey, Reef's wife, thanks for considering me more of a child than your husband. But seriously, circulate some air in there. You don't want to have to send it back in six weeks and they refuse to accept the return. :)

10. JJTimothy

I ... wouldn't be foolish enough argue even if I did object.

Seriously though it wouldn't be a bad idea to run through the set-up, which I gather is a bit of a palaver, to be sure it's not DOA. (Of course it would then be ready for use rather than having to spend half your birthday clarting about with drivers and WHY but that would merely be a pleasing by-product of your diligence.)

Wait- is that a cat? How the hell did you get a cat to sit still for that?

11. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

12. noahg5

noahg5 Guest

Uh i think it’s cool

• Like Like x 1
  13. Plastic Pal

Of course, cutting out holes for the eyes exposes the mucous membrane around the eyes, which is an easy entry point for the virus (in humans). If coronoavirus could jump from humans to cats, then that cat would need goggles and/or a face-shield......

• Like Like x 1
  14. JJTimothy

Another unsolved mystery.

There was a tiger (at the Bronx Zoo IIRC) that caught it from a keeper in the news so it seems cats can catch it and presumably pass it on.

This is going off topic now isn't it? My bad.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Bad Timothy. More talking about how trains can catch the virus, please.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Thats discipline. Give yourself a pat on the back.

I couldn't, 0 patience ;)

Enjoy it when you get it open, thought they always looked fun

• Like Like x 1
  17. JJTimothy

I shall punish myself by driving a Pacer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Well finally unboxed and set it up today, ok some of the switches are a little on the flimsy side but all in all I'm very happy and satisfied with it.

One question though for you veteran raildriver users if I may, I've downloaded and installed the latest RD64 software and it works well enough with the Class 66 (my favourite steed) apart from needing to apply the emergency brake setting to apply the train brakes but to be honest I expected some idiosyncrasies. However I watched a Matt Peddlesden youtube video where he changed the script to allow the loco brake lever to become the throttle (much better for the 66 I think) and I discovered that I couldn't find/access the scripts like he could because he was using MacroWorks (at the time at least as the videos a few years old now) So I downloaded that and then indeed could alter the script as per his example, unfortunately though the raildriver levers (all of them) won't work for me with the MacroWorks software.

So the question is.. Is there a way to access the scripts with RD64 or can I make MacroWorks work with 2020 (in other words am I doing something wrong or is it just obsolete now)

Tia.

• Like Like x 1