Locomotive Brakedowns(whats The Point)?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SHINO BAZ, May 19, 2020.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I been reading that random locomotive brakedowns are possible in tsw(which in real railroads are normal)but what happens when it happens in tsw,its not like you can call in a rescue loco to come get you,can you?

2. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

This only happens in scenarios that are scripted. The CN Oakville Subdivision for example has a scenario in which a GP9RM breaks down mid service, and another locomotive comes to pick it up.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

The point is that TSW is a railroad simulator and since breakdowns do occur in real life, they should also do so in simulated life.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JohnnyK98

Dealing with broken down trains takes a lot of time (sometimes hours) in real life. I can't imagine waiting for an hour or two in TSW for another locomotive to pick me up. Nope.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I agree. And to be honest, it is very, very rare for trains to be declared as a complete failure that a rescue locomotive is needed to go rescue it. So maybe you could have a scenario just like the GWE one where the a Class 66 rescues a HST at Reading and takes it to Old Oak Common but you don’t need any more because a complete train failure is exceptionally rare. I’m not saying train faults don’t happen because they occasionally do but most of the time, the driver/engineer is able to rectify the problem which comes on to my next point.

What could be simulated is a train fault where you have to go and rectify the problem successfully without needing assistance from another train. There are countless of faults that could take place but I’ll give a few examples:

1. Parking brake fault
    2. Dragging brakes
    3. Hot axle box
    4. Air suspension deflated
    5. ADD activation (Auto Drop Device of the pantograph)

So for example for number 2:
    1. You contact the signaller to let him/her you have a problem and need to investigate
    2. You find out you have dragging brakes on a particular vehicle
    3. You contact the signaller to let him/her know you have discovered the problem and that you need a line block on the adjacent running line(s) in order to isolate the brakes on a particular axle
    4. You walk back to the vehicle’s brake panel and isolate the appropriate cocks. So it would be number 2 and 3 in this case in the picture below for a Mk3 coach in a HST. 2= Distributor isolating c*ck and 3= brake release handle
    92541307-3196-4A0C-BD03-00775569844D.jpeg
    5. You walk back to your cab and contact the signaller to get permission to do a rotational test which is something that must be done whenever you isolate any sort of brakes.
    6. Have the Guard assist by standing near the vehicle with isolated brakes. Move your train forward 2 full rotations as per rulebook instruction and the guard will ensure the axles move freely.
    7. With Guard back on train, contact signaller to give back line block and get permission to continue.
    8. Remember, now that you have isolated brakes on 1 vehicle, your maximum speed is 10mph below line speed. E.g. if line speed is 125mph, you will do 115mph. This doesn’t apply below 35mph.

This certainly isn’t a priority for TSW and wouldn’t expect to see this for a long time as there are much bigger priorities. But it would be nice to see this some years down the line. It would need cupboards and panels to be accessible. Also, imagine in the future where there is a multiplayer mode and you have another player acting as a signaller and another player acting as a guard... it would be quite enjoyable working together. And the other players controlling other trains would be diverted by being put on the relief (slow) line and getting delayed because they would have to wait for a slot to join the relief line and then follow stopping services in front of them before rejoining the main (fast) line at the next available opportunity. For realism, assuming you’ve all got headsets, you’re only able to talk to the signaller by using the GSMR radio to connect to him/her rather than just a lobby where everyone can talk to each other all the time and know what’s going on. As I say, it’s a very futuristic idea but it would be wonderful to see in the distant future,

• Like Like x 5
  6. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

There are alot of extra switches in most locomotives that some may rarely use or ever see,like in panels or fuse boxes and if your gonna have breakdowns or major engine faults,i hope theres a how to on what to do to fix it,i don't wanna spend hours trying to guess what to do.that one reason tsw need a free simple drive mode so problems don't always ruin the casul players train driving fun.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think your example fix is a perfect example of why this kind of thing isn’t (and I’d say should never be) in the normal timetable mode of TSW. The normal user of a train simulator might want the occasional random delay simulated by AI trains running a bit late or stopping for a short while to ‘simulate’ a problem and cause the player to encounter some delays and break the ‘all greens’ boredom of some services, but really doesn’t want a roleplaying problem solving task with actual realistic problems to sort out with their own train, when they want to be driving it.

That kind of thing belongs where it currently resides, in scripted scenarios, where there will be some walking through of the steps to rectify a specific problem. There could even be scenarios created where you will encounter a problem but you don’t know what it will be until it occurs, as it would be one of three different issues as chosen by the sim, like the ‘down the line’ scenario in GWE but with one train and one of three experiences instead. That would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  8. junior

junior New Member

Train breakdowns aren't the only possible issue. On urban commuter routes, I could see adding the possibility of foolish pedestrians. Have an extremely low possibility of someone like the man I observed several months ago who leisurely ambled up to the deployed crossing guards (across a short stretch of street that had no cars because it was between the guards and a nearby intersection with stoplights), and then just as leisurely ambled across the tracks... until the oncoming LA Metro Gold Line approached, at which point he legged it the rest of the way. Unfortunately, the train had to perform an emergency stop due to this individual, and did so literally just yards away from the platform (which was just past the crossing).

I'm sure that those wanting to disembark at that stop were pretty upset.

Add a very teensy tiny chance that some reckless pedestrian has decided that the laws of physics don't apply to him or her. If you stop the train in time, then you have a delay on your route. If you don't stop the train in time, then the run immediately ends as the resulting tragedy is resolved.

9. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Agreed that suicides/trespassers do happen in real life but you’re not suggesting it should be put on TSW as a scenario? It will never happen and should never happen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

First post on the forum and it’s about pedestrians on the track and the possibility of killing them. In a train simulator. Unbelievable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JohnnyK98

Very twisted and sick indeed. Probably one of the many trolls we get here on the forums.

• Like Like x 1