Newbie Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dksherman, May 18, 2020.

1. dksherman

dksherman New Member

Hi everyone.
    Just bought TS2020 and trying the easy route Regensburg to Nuremburg. At the first stop, I cannot close doors after opening them. I keep saving the game after opening the doors but no amount of odd or even clicks on the icon, on T or shift+T will shut the doors, so the game terminates when I try to move off. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Thanks, Dave

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Are you saving while the doors are open because when you return to the scenario they will not close.
    Rule is, don't save while the doors are open.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dksherman

dksherman New Member

Thanks Cat. Got Shift+T to work in the end. :)
    Generally not finding TS2020 very intuitive. Just tried South West Trains class 444 and 450 but can't find a tutorial and alarm goes off when I try to move (doors closed!); then alarm goes off again and train stops after a couple of miles. No message to explain the problem either time. Also, only 2 controls offered for these trains, even though the manual (found online) shows a full desk of controls. I'm confused! Can't find a thread for this on the forum.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Press the E key for this

Q shuts off AWS, E shuts off DRA

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There might be a lot of buttons and switches on the desk but to drive a train there is the FWD/REV and, on this type of train a combined Power / Brake handle.
    Some of the others do work with your mouse or the Keyboard - like the AWS but the Drivers Vigilance Device - the alarm going off every min is reset by the driver releasing and resetting the floor treadle - something you can not physically do in the game.

And you can find a lot of videos if you google for them - like this one

or this one -

Peter

6. dksherman

dksherman New Member

Thanks very much. To be honest, I think I'll return the game to Amazon. Fed up with unannounced speed restrictions in Germany and problem knowing if doors are closed or not (I use the external cam but NOTHING seems to close the doors - clicking on them, clicking the icon, keyboard T, ctrl+T). On South West Trains, external alarm goes off and stops the train even if you hit the button. Then bleeps for the rest of the session. Haven't tried US route but 2/2 is unacceptable. Glad it works fine for everyone else. Maybe I got a dodgy CD.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The "Unannounced Speed Restrictions" are part of the Signalling System
    A Green over Yellow means you are going thru points on to another line and the Speed is 40kph unless there is a Speed on it
    But the Speed Change applies From the Signal not the Points

Peter

8. ARuscoe

Which alarm? On the SWT routes we have those trains have an "additional control" in that the Driver alert device (the one that goes off about every minute or so) is cancelled with the E key. On some other consists there are alerts cancelled with num pad enter, but on those ones it's E

AWS is always (to my knowledge) Q

With regards to the speed changes, the german routes do have speeds controlled by signal and the HUD doesn't adapt to this, but that's more a "we couldn't get this working" rather than a bug
    Don't get me wrong, there ARE bugs in routes with the HUD and speed changes, but that's not really one of them. The HUD tends to show "permanent way speeds" rather than signal restricted ones

• Like Like x 1
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

To play the game you have to learn the game - if you can't be bothered.....
    Easy to ask a question if you are unsure - stupid if you are having a go at the game because it does what it is supposed to.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I will only say that a game like this has to be learned. If you don't want to learn, you won't want to play the game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Just like driving a train!
    My advice is to have a few goes in quick drive when you're trying out a new route or loco/unit. Route/traction learning adds even more simulation to this simulator.

12. ARuscoe

There are two basic types of people who buy sims... Those who play them for a few hours and those who play for hundreds.
    Maybe sims just aren't for this guy or he wants more of a console experience where the keys are always the same

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cyclone

To be fair, the keys ARE the same...generally. For instance, W and S are the reverser (which Micro$oft, that million dollar realm of knowledge, does not consider a word), A and D are the throttle, there are three pairs for the various brakes...

14. dksherman

dksherman New Member

I play loads of other games and they are logical and clear. E.g., they don't have pop-up driver alarms that you clear but still leave a constant bleeping throughout the session.
    If there is an issue that has to be learnt re German signals then why isn't it in the tutorial or a pop-up warning?
    Clearly, I need to stick to Flight Sim, Risk, etc.

15. ARuscoe

Except that on this route and a minor few others the E key cancels one of the alerts, which on other locos is cancelled by Q
    So whilst the OP may well have found this annoying or even a good thing (let's face it, the two alerts are cancelled differently in real life) his chosen path is to throw all toys out of pram

16. ARuscoe

I think the issue here is that you probably jumped right into the 444 or 450 without reading the manual for that loco and just expected it to work like the others, but then you go an throw in the curveball of "I need to stick to Flight Sim". I'm pretty sure that some planes have different controls to others and it takes reading the manual to really get to know the differences between them, so just apply that here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cyclone

This is why you absolutely have to read the manual. And perhaps even have the manual in front of you while first driving it (I have all my manuals on iCloud). Printing the key guide is also an option.

18. dksherman

dksherman New Member

Thanks Cyclone. My CD only has Academy lessons (tutorials are blank). No manual that I can find. I'll Google it.
    I appreciate those who have posted proper help rather than just snotty comments.
    PS/ got rid of noise on SWT route but just now had a problem in that I overshot a platform, reversed back and then was unable to get the reverser out of reverse! Yes, doors were closed. Had to abort.

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I only have, I think, 12 tutorials on my computer - DTG seem to have stopped doing them
    But you can sometimes find something on Youtube

If it is something I have not driven before I do a Quick Drive with the train
    You decide where the train starts and ends and you get a mostly clear run
    When you approach a station you don't have to stop if you don't want to
    It's good practice on how the braking works but you don't gain or lose points

Peter

20. ARuscoe

The manuals are generally in your railworks folder, so unless you changed the location when you installed that would be:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Manuals\EN

If you changed where TS installs then that's where you need to go, then manuals\EN (or whatever language you prefer, if they exist)

AP and JT put their manuals elsewhere (which is irritating, but there you go) with AP leaving them in their ZIP files and JT putting them on the start menu and calling them all "manual.pdf" for some odd reason

21. dksherman

dksherman New Member

Thanks. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Manuals\EN only has the over all user guide - no loco manuals.

22. dksherman

dksherman New Member

I'm talking through my backside. Locos are within route manuals! I'll get the hang of this sim if it kills me.

23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you have the Southampton to Bournemouth Route with TS2020 the manual is called
    DTG - South Western Main Line Southampton Bournemouth Route Add-On - Route Manual - EN

And the German route is called
    DTG - Nurnberg and Regensburg Bahn Route Add-On - Route Manual - EN
    Search for it on your C:\ drive

24. ARuscoe

Some are, some aren't
    For instance the 444 and 450 are in the route manuals because they're only available supplied with the routes, you can't buy them as separate DLC to my knowledge, but the Classes which are available as separate do tend to have their own manuals. In other words the darn things could be anywhere

25. dksherman

dksherman New Member

As per my previous post, I've found them, thanks. Ideally the Sim would be slightly more navigable but there you go. Just finished my first long route with no hitches.

26. Cyclone

Well, there is an older version of the Southwest Class 444 that you can buy separately. That one has scenarios for Portsmouth Direct Line, which only comes with the 450. I presume is a different model than the one located in the updated version of the line which includes both as well as a 455/8. The manual is not shown on the Steam page for the standalone DLC, but you can find it downloadable via DPSimulation's linked page.

I was beaten to noting the manuals folder on the hard drive. But keep DPSimulation's site in mind if you ever want to look up a manual for something you are considering buying and its manual is not already listed on Steam. There are also free reskins there, plus some scenario packs and free routes..

27. dksherman

dksherman New Member

Cheers Cyclone.
    Thanks also to 749006 for the German signalling video. I still find it odd that Dovetail Games don't appear to offer this training, but at least I have it now.
    I still think there's an unannounced on HUD (and unsignalled on screen) speed reduction of 160 to 130 about 12k before Nuremburg, but I have a note now.
    Getting there! Again, I appreciate all help received above.

28. ARuscoe

Don't forget that the academy isn't what you might expect, but only a very limited "This is how trains kinda work"
    Some locos come with their own intro scenarios, but not all
    Most of the time I just pick the shortest scenario and play that with the manual open on a second screen and try not to get locked out with an emergency brake for something I didn't know about