PC How To Edit Formations

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by xtechtrainsim, May 26, 2020.

1. xtechtrainsim

xtechtrainsim New Member

Hi all, i have recently discovered this guy on YouTube called trainsimcz (www.youtube.com/user/trainsimcz), i have seen how he makes very advanced mods such as putting any train on any route, however what i am interested in is editing formations, does any one here know how he did this? Could someone tell me how to do it? (Also, i tried, but when i tried to load a uasset file into Unreal Editor, the assets did not show up in the Content Browser.)

2. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

How I understand it is that you have to hand-edit the .uasset file according to it's syntax.

This of course unless he has some kind of a self-made program that can load the .uasset and .uexp combo and edit it in a human friendly way.

I expect the latter but don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. xtechtrainsim

xtechtrainsim New Member

so you mean in text editor?

4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Wait -- wait -- what do you mean by "formations"????

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deebz__

Deebz__ Well-Known Member

More like a hex editor. Even then, it would be 100% trial and error, because pretty much none of the data is properly defined in a way that anyone would understand by just looking at it.

Imagine trying to figure out a word search puzzle in an unknown language, then needing to put together a sentence from those unknown words, in order to know what to change to get the desired effect in the game. That’s basically what those files look like. Its theoretically possible, and it has been done for other games, but I can’t imagine many people care enough about this game to put in the time.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tomas9970

I would start with the Unreal engine 4 source code and the part where it converts data tables to the .uasset and .uexp file. Then try to write a script that can do the oposite and interpret the data in a human friendly way.

Sounds very doable but I don't care so much.

Alternatively you could look at the source code of the Umodel (open on Github) which has this functionality and might be simpler to navigate.

edit: The Umodel appears to only support art assets and not data tables so UE4 source code is the only option to get reliable data on the file structure of data tables.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. xtechtrainsim

xtechtrainsim New Member

I did look at the unreal engine source code, but when i load the github page it says 404.

9. Tomas9970

Access is restricted to those who have linked their Epic games account with their Github account.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/GettingStarted/DownloadingUnrealEngine/index.html

Alternatively you can clik on the drop down next to the engine install in the Epic games launcher, click options and tick "engine source". This will download the source code to browse through into your engine's install directory.

You might want to get an IDE to browse through the code more easily like the Visual Studio with C++ components installed.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1