More Comunication From Dtg...!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by PinkDude17, May 26, 2020.

1. PinkDude17

PinkDude17 New Member

We need more communication from DTG and how they're doing with projects. The radio silence that we get is completely unacceptable when it comes to news, updates and informing their customers. Anything more than "Sorry no information on that topic yet" or "we can't say at the moment." (There are many other examples I could've used which is a massive problem.) We need some insights into what may come and I know that the reply from DTG will look something like, "We can't say anything about that topic or that feature because something may change before release." and would we really care that sometimes DTG might say "Sorry xx feature has been put on hold or scrapped due to unforeseen circumstances.". No, we won't because we will know what they've been trying to do and not left completely in the dark speculating where what or why something is/isn't happening.
    SOMETHING NEEDS TO CHANGE.

• Like Like x 9
  2. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Communication would be beneficial for both parties. Especially because here the community is really enthusiastic about trains and can and would want for this simulator to really succeed and become something more. So I really don't understand why are they so quiet. Why making the sence of distance be more and more felt through community.

• Like Like x 3
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

With regards to new features this extra communication might go like this...
    “Are you going to bring multiplayer to TSW?”
    “Yes, we’re currently working on multiplayer”
    “Oh cool, when will it be released?
    “We don’t know it’s not ready yet”

“Are you making a steam train for TSW?”
    “Yes, we’re currently working on a steam train”
    “We don’t know it’s not quite working as we’d like yet”

These responses wouldn’t really be any more use than what we get now.

The alternative might be...

“Are you going to bring multiplayer to TSW?”
    “Yes, we’re currently working on multiplayer”
    “This autumn”

Fast forward to spring
    “You said you were bringing multiplayer to TSW in autumn, it’s spring now and nothing”
    “Yeah, it’s not working properly yet, we’re still working on it”
    “You’re useless, how hard can it be? Profanities, blah blah etc.”

“Are you making a steam train for TSW?”
    “Yes, we’re currently working on a steam train”
    “August”

Fast forward to February
    “You said you were releasing a steam train in August, it’s February now and nothing”
    “Unfortunately there were problems so it’s been delayed”
    “I’m not happy, always breaking your promises you lot, blah blah, profanities etc.”

Which, arguably would be worse, and certainly no better than what we get now.

So, whether we have the communication we have now or any of the alternatives, for the examples above nothing will have changed for the better unless they actually bring multiplayer or release a steam train.

Which is why they say “No news on that” so often. There really is no news they can tell us which will make us happy until something is ready to release. Even then, if you read everything on the forum, hardly any of us are happy with what is announced and released ;););).

Now, communication about reported bugs and if they are being looked at is a whole other matter which does need to improve.

• Like Like x 5
  4. montes_1234

Main problem is the lack of any kind of their presence here on the forums. In terms of even from time to time saying something or just hello. In this way this forums are like some place to rumble about stuff randomly even if you alredy know that would not been replied by them. Your example about time frame in which something will be finished is wrong. In the sence that communication keeps the spirit of the community alive. So any kind of communication doesn't matter which. We would know that they are trying to achieve something more even in terms of new features. And just that we are knowing that they are thinking about things that we are placing all over the place would put that extra about the game itself.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Re new features: I broadly agree with you, although once a commitment has been made, it's not complicated to just then say "No, we decided not to do it in the end because X.... " or "We planned it to take nine months, but now we are six months in, it looks like it will be delayed by a further six months". In short - communication on progress (or not) could be improved. I'd add that for entirely new releases, obviously it is actually nice to have a bit of build-up of anticipation and a surprise.

Re: bugs - this is something that might get improved soon, given recent events with TS1 (multiple routes lost signals and multiple loco DLCs would not load at all)..... where I think DTG have acted in an almost exemplary fashion. But more generally the key communcation points , all of which are critical are:

1. Recognising the report of a bug as a report of bug
    2. Process to check with others and ask for more detailed feedback
    3. Confirm existence of bug/issue
    4. Provide timescale for bug fix (or explain that the bug will never be fixed)
    5. Provide regular progress updates
    6. Announce fix has been patched
    7. Explain what caused the issue (recognition of learning point and future actions)

This is pretty much what TrainSim-Steve did with the asset signals/tracks.bin issue in the last week, in TS1 - double plus good.

Anything less than the above smashes your confidence about competence and motivation. "No news" on bugs or complete silence are completely unacceptable - like with the Class 47 on NTP in TSW (where a user-generated deadline is fast approaching....). Hint, hint.

• Like Like x 3
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Exactly. I hope it does improve and I do get why people want communication about what’s in the pipeline etc. but I am also very mindful of the amount of stick DTG as an entity get here, some deserved, some not. Maybe that would even out if staff posted here more often and members would feel they are addressing real people and be more realistic and, erm, polite in how they raise concerns or criticise the game or company, and appreciate the staff feedback. You can never really tell until it happens.

After the 155 was fixed I was hopeful the 47 would be fixed soon after. They have certainly taken note of the call to action from someone who cared enough to take them to task and I’m confident they are trying to fix it, but they still should have at least replied with something official to tell everyone who had complained that they were actively doing so. Casually mentioning it on a live stream or in an unofficial discord server really isn’t good enough after the considerable fuss that was made here. I fully suspect the 155 would still have the tunnel bug now if wasn’t for that one forum member, whose name escapes me right now :o;):D.

• Like Like x 2
  7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

No amount of forums or polls will change their ways of communication.

I’ve made a few in the past which have been quite popular with the community but DTG simply chooses to ignore it and/or doesn’t do a single thing about it.

If they did care, then they would’ve improved a very long time ago.

8. Plastic Pal

I see a glimmer of light on this issue. There is potential for things to change here for the better (although, then again, the only possible way is up, because it couldn't have gotten much worse....).

Seriously, there are two key pieces of evidence. Firstly, we've seen more DTG interaction in these Forums in the last couple of weeks, and not just on serious/immediate issues, but giving general welcome and friendly support to new starters. Secondly, I got the impression from one of the last Dmitri streams that DTG staff clearly understood that there was a low point in customer perception of the company - and that's not an easy thing to allude to publicly, even if you are moving on. Dmitri was thoroughly professional with his comments, and he wasn't censored in any way - he was given the freedom to express his feelings.

There is hope. But it is a two-way street... and if there really is a general move from the The Company to engage with the community, then it should be recognised....and most warmly welcomed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I've been on this forum for a long while now and seen too many wolf pack hunts to think that communication from DTG will be anything other than a negative experience for them.
    And not just DTG. Had it not been for the way people act on this and other forums we'd have working 80x and several other new consists in TSx by now. But we don't because people simply refuse to be civil and either badger until they get banned or pester until people give up and go do something else.

10. ARuscoe

Should be. Yes
    Will be? Erm...

11. Plastic Pal

I am not sure what this sentence means, exactly....... But if you are suggesting that an absence of feedback from the community would improve DTG productivity and increase the quality of the products, then I think that you are (.....quite unusually for you) sorely mistaken (on this occasion).

You have to remember that DTG staff are not volunteers doing a community project for free. It's a business.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ARuscoe

It wasn't DTG, that example was a 3rd party developer who said they were working on it then got so much nonsense about it they gave up developing anything...

And I don't think lack of feedback would improve things.
    Lack of hounding, bullying, namecalling, accusation or downright rudeness might though.
    Who knows, a nicer kinder forum on the internet... Whatever will people suggest next?

13. Plastic Pal

Oh yes - well.. in that case, that is perfectly understandable.

Nobody wants to volunteer their time and effort to develop freeware for free, out of the kindness of their heart, absolutely gratis, as a freebie, altruistically provided at no cost, with no money changing hands, with no expectation of payment in kind, or payment of any kind... with a complete absence of financial adjustment in anyone's favour, without monetary transaction and where there is no trading relationship.....

......and then have people complain about the quality/function/timeliness/service... of the kindly donated gift of blood, sweat, tears, and time.

That would just be ungrateful.

• Like Like x 1
  14. montes_1234

It would help for start to just acknowledge even some of proposals that have been made. It would sent a impulse of optimism and than we would possibly have more and more members proposing. With a feeling of ignorance this would never be taken seriously, but than consequently neither would the game itself. Because on the other side is a void that swallows everyone that are still so enthusiastically engaged on the forums.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

So you want the TSW team to spend the bulk of their time reading and responding to the chronic complaints that over-stuff these forums rather than actually doing anything to expand and improve TSW? You cannot have it both ways, folks, just as people everywhere cannot both defeat the current pandemic and ignore it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Plastic Pal

17. ARuscoe

Welcome to parts of the community...

18. Plastic Pal

Oh I dunno - I don't think that you are all that bad. Don't be so hard on yourself.... ;-;

19. ARuscoe

I know what I am... in fact I got my first profanity citation on the site just the other day LOL

20. Plastic Pal

There's a first time for everything...! And I think if improved comms comes coupled with a harder line on mis-behaviour (the horrible stuff), then it's all to the good.

• Like Like x 1
  21. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

It doesn’t take a bulk of their time to respond to stuff like this
    It barely takes 10mins to get on to the forums and reply to stuff like this. This why we have a Community Manager. Our Future Community Manager could be the ones replying to stuff like this. Have you forgotten that people have different roles other than developing routes in DTG?

22. Plastic Pal

I was tempted to respond to you with "That depends on just how little time is spent on development in any case...."

But I promised myself that I wouldn't say it. Nope. Not that. No....! Far too cynical....

In reality - the developers at DTG are likely to be extremely hard-working. And I agree with you - monitoring a Forum... the Forum that the company set-up in the first place... doesn't take up a large concentrated effort. But it is something you might want to dip into frequently (but briefly), for light relief from the everyday grind.

NB: I have made a thorough and complete response to Clarkesville - that post left me...completely speechless....

• Like Like x 2
  23. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Clarkesville often talks rubbish so I wouldn’t pay too much attention to his/her posts.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Trainspeeder

Trainspeeder Active Member

I honestly agree.

25. ARuscoe

From what they said in the vid last night they're totally looking at doing this. I think their main issue was they put out what they WANTED to do, and people took that as it was happening. Unfortunately goalposts move and people don't allow for that (both DTG and come members of the community)

• Like Like x 1
  26. Trainspeeder

Trainspeeder Active Member

I agreed with you.

27. Plastic Pal

Some people don't want you to agree with them.... ;-p

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

Yup, and i quoted the same person you quoted and spouted... as I am wont to do occasionally

29. thesuperpuffin

thesuperpuffin Member

Just gonna float my metaphoric opinion boat onto the raging forum ocean. (Quite proud if that one)

In a recent stream (Fife circle) the colonel made a good point about why they don’t tell us about upcoming content. It was something along the lines of it may not actually happen so we don’t want to get you excited and then disappointed. Also the earlier they announce something, the longer the wait for it and people will complain. I feel that with regards to route and loco developments they should keep their cards close to their hand and keep us interested and excited

However, i think that they should be transparent about features and bug fixes. They are less exciting but ultimately more useful for the players. If they are open about their progress on these then we can give feedback and suggestions on how to improve it, and it will reduce false promises

• Like Like x 1