The Catch How's This Game Different From The Other Ones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlexNL, May 19, 2020.

1. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I'm not familiar with the fishing hobby nor with DTG's fishing simulators, hence a question which may be rather quite "eh, duh..." to many: how is The Catch different from Euro Fishing and Fishing Sim World: Pro Tour?

To me it sounds like this game is fishing in a market already occupied by two other sims from the same developers, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong or just missing something. Can someone enlighten me about this?

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

It's the Dovetail Touchâ„¢. Release the same game every year with minimal updated features that could be added in a update to the first game.

• Like Like x 5
  3. D3VILDOG8541

D3VILDOG8541 Active Member

Euro fishing was their first go at the fishing sim market. It was good, had its fair share of problems & short falls. It was mainly focused on Carp & a few coarse species of fish with fishing in Europe only. Very few real world products in game, bait & tackle were general, common equipment based on real life models. In my opinion was the first quality fishing sim put out for consoles, not necessarily so for PC. FSW: Pro Tour, they really put out one of the best fishing games out on the market. The game was a complete redesign from Euro fishing. The graphics, physics, fish models, everything. Fishing in game takes place in Europe, as well as the US, South America, & other countries. They brought in many real world name brand companies & feature their products in game with bait, tackle & boats. The fish species in this game were greatly increased & offered Carp, many more coarse species, new predator species of fish & even giants & rare fish like Pacu & Arapima. This game also featured a full blown career mode where you can compete against amateur & a whole roster of real world Pro Anglers. That in itself could've been a seperate game but, was rolled out as an addition to the main game itself.
    Not a lot has been said or released about their upcoming game, 'The Catch'. The short preview videos that are out look amazing & promise a lot. It appears that initially there will be 5 world locations to fish. They mention Carp, coarse & rare/exotic species will be in game. I would speculate that game design, engine, physics, etc will be even better than their last release. But, there is very little info out there to my knowledge as of yet. It should be very soon though, with a Summer 2020 release.
    The player base has been pretty good at voicing what they'd most like to see in future releases. Dovetail has really stepped up their game this past year with almost regular weekly live streams detailing new & upcoming game changes & focus. They have done multiple surveys asking for input from the player base as well. So, 'The Catch' should make most current players happy & hopefully draw in even more new players. They really have put a lot of effort into putting out a great fishing game.
    FYI, there will always be those that hate on the devs/company no matter what they do. In my opinion dovetail puts out a quality game in everything they produce. The base games feature plenty of content to give a complete gaming experience. They use dlc as their model to add to the game & generate revenue. Which to me, is way better than the popular model of releasing a skeleton base game & use micro transactions in game to provide their content. Not to mention the price of this new game will be the same or less than the price of dlc for the existing game. If this game comes with 5 locations/maps, fish, equipment, etc. It would be the same as buying 5 new dlc's or a couple of multiple map dlc's for their current game.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  4. jluntz221

jluntz221 New Member

I agree, and don't they only have like 12-15 people even working on the game compared to the dozens and dozens for major companies putting out stuff like Madden, CoD, etc....? I know there are some pretty bad bugs and things here and there but FsW is easily in my top 5 fishing games of ALL-TIME. Probably at #2-3 behind Blue Marlin (NES&SNES) and Bass Master's Classic (SEGA).

• Like Like x 1
  5. D3VILDOG8541

Yeah, I'm not sure of their actual size as a company. I do know they are, by industry standards, a pretty small company. To me that is to their benefit, and to us as gamers, especially gamers that love and play sim style games. The larger companies seem to be the biggest reason that game focus has been driven to profit over all else. I'm sure the pressures are tremendous for those studios to get the next release out & to maximize ways to generate the most amount of money. Dovetail being a smaller company I believe, escapes a good amount of that? Dovetail has tailored itself to focusing on a deeply loved, smaller & neglected part of the game industry & that is the Sim genre. They have said publicly that their desire is to serve the Sim game population by trying to produce the best, most realistic games available. It is apparent to me, watching their progress over the years, that they are dedicated to doing just that.

6. chey

chey New Member

i was very disappointed with FSW, so i will wait live stream to really see what this new game has to offer, especially new game mechanicc, fight etc...
    When the exotic fishes came out on FSW, arapaima etc, I expected a lot, but enormously disappointed with the behavior of fish, such as arapaimas, these fish fight like monsters, but in FSW, they react like carp.
    I see that there will also be arapaimas in the new game, I hope that the studio has made huge progress on the behavior of exotic fish, especially for the fight.
    With The Fishier Online on the market since end of 2019, for me the best fishing game for now, better than RF4, The new Dovetail fishing game, should be very good to be in my top3.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. D3VILDOG8541

If you weren't happy with FSW then it makes sense to wait & see what they're bringing to the table. For those on console, our options are more limited on choice. Me personally, found FSW to be a really good game. On console, there is nothing that comes close to being as good. Not that it doesn't have problems, it does. I would've liked to see them continue to work & polish FSW. I found that the total fishing experience was well worth the money I spent on it. Now, the big question for me as well is, is The Catch going to be good enough to be released as a new game. If it's just more maps and new fish species, then why release as a new game? Why not continue adding that as DLC to FSW? If they charge over $40 with nothing new but maps & fish then I think it will be poorly received & alienate a lot of players. At this point I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. For their sake & for us gamers that love these type games, I hope they nail it.

8. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

The improvements from Euro Fishing to Fishing Sim World was incredible in every way. There's just so much content!
    I'm not sure what The Catch has to offer, but I'm interested.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Master110

Master110 Active Member

I think the team for fishing is around 30. A bigger budget game has 500

10. D3VILDOG8541

I'm not sure of the size of the team but, I do know they're not a big company. What they achieved with FSW was really impressive. I saw a video on YouTube about 'The Catch'. I think the guy doing it said he was a lead designer for the team. Strangely enough it wasn't on the Dovetail channel. Anyway, it shows detailed footage of the game, new pnysics, new fish models, everything. It definitely seems like a complete overhaul of most of what the players from FSW had complained about or requested to be changed/added. I just don't understand why this video isn't on their main channel. The lack of promotion is puzzling? I'd post a link to the video but, not sure if it's in violation of forum rules. Just pull up YouTube & type, The Catch or Dovetail Fishing The Catch. Should find it easy enough. It's completely different & way better than the short promo vid they have on their channel.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chey

chey New Member

Look Woolf, he is alone with his daughter to develop and maintain Atom Fishing 2 and the new game, The Fisher Online :)
    the size of the studio doesn't matter, it just allows you to work faster

12. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Man, that's strange... I'm going to search for it after. It has me a little worried to be quite honest. Thanks for the heads up though! Can't wait to watch it. :)