Is This Pc Good To Run Train Sim 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dazzalatic, Jun 2, 2020.

1. dazzalatic

dazzalatic New Member

Hi,
    Looking at getting back into train sim and my PC of about 12 years old will definately not run the game
    I've seen one on amazon with these specs and wondered if it would run the game ok

AMD Ryzen 2600X Six Core 4.25GHz Processor
    16GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM / 240GB SSD
    AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB HDMI Graphics Card / HDMI 1080p, USB 3.0, 300MBps WiFi

Bonus for me it's within my price range at £599
    Any help greatfully appreciated
    TIA
    Daz

• Like Like x 1
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. The only thing that gives me pause is storage. I got a new system last year obviously with TS very much in mind but with an eye to TSW as well. It too has a 240GB SSD as the boot drive and, with Windows, TS (about 20 routes so respectable but not outlandish) and a by no means huge number of applications (Open Office and Movie Studio Platinum will be the taking up the most room) it is nearly two thirds full- when I did get TSW earlier this year it had to go on the HD.

I'm not tearing what's left of my hair out over it yet but I would recommend you get at least half a terabyte especially since I see no indication that the system you're looking at has any secondary storage.

3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

The only thing is the hard drive a little on the small side I would recommend at least a 1 Terrabyte otherwise everything else is good.

4. dazzalatic

dazzalatic New Member

Thanks for the replies
    I should have said I have a 4tb hard drive from another system that I plan to put into the new one as extra storage.
    I was more worried about the graphics card to be honest.
    I'll probably order the PC tomorrow along with a copy of the game as I don't yet own it

Again thanks for the replies, much appreciated
    Regards
    Daz

5. JJTimothy

Ah there you go. It's quite straight forward to get Steam to install software where you choose but having TS on the fastest drive you've got is advisable because as you drive it loads the next stretch of scenery every so often and it's not very clever about it so the process can cause slow downs. It's based on a venerable game engine developed before systems routinely had a few spare gigabytes of RAM for caching.

I had the impression you weren't starting from scratch. Should be good for a while then even with the new more detailed routes included with TS2020 (although you might consider shopping around other sites to see if you can get a key for an older edition since one may have a bundle of routes that interests you more- and be cheaper of course).

During discussions such as this I always remember getting an Amiga with a 175MB HD (not a typo'- Megabytes) and thinking, "now we're motoring "! Things nobody ever said: "This system has too much storage".

6. dazzalatic

dazzalatic New Member

I used to have the game a few years ago, I think it was just called Trainz back then but I could be barking up the wrong tree.
    Will definately get the 2020 version and build it up as I go along at my own leisure.

As for the Amiga I still have 3 here My original one that was bought when it came out for £500, and two I bought later on from car boot sales as they were just so ridiculously cheap not to buy, one was £2 with everything included around 12 boxes full of pirated floppy discs, an external disc drive, joystick the lot. need to get them out of the junk room and set them up see if they are still working.

Cheers for the updates
    Daz

7. JJTimothy

TS has had a couple of different names in days of yore (in fact look under the bonnet and it's still labelled Railworks) but Trainz is a completely different program. It's still going and also available on Steam- no experience of it at all but it seems to have the same aims with rolling stock and routes to buy.

That's the way to do it.

My A1200 is still on the desk propping up my keyboard though I haven't switched it on for years or even had it connected to a screen. Now I don't use a laptop I've got a monitor with a VGA port though... That ought to work...

I loved the Amiga. How did a company that had the best selling home computer for five years running with an OS that made contemporary versions of Windows and MacOS look stupid manage to go out of business? Donald Trump wasn't involved was he?

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I just put this on a different post but if you are new to TS2020

Might as well get TS2020 for £4.62
    https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/5742-buy-key-steam-train-simulator-2020/

They sell you a Steam Key which you redeem in the Steam Client
    An you can use PayPal so you don't have to worry about putting you card details in on the site
    They just need your email to send the conformation.

Peter

9. lewiswal47

lewiswal47 New Member

Hiya, just sayiong 2400Mhz is very low for ryzen. Ryzen favour clock speeds. I would reccomend atleast 3200mhz C16. I have 3600 C18 and its fine, but higher better. Thanks