Is The Editor Expected To Go Online This Year?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by phantomgroup, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phantomgroup

phantomgroup New Member

I am so expect wanna edit routes in TSW 2020 with UnrealEngine 4, and my Locomotives model was already prepared in last year.
    But the editor is still not online in this year :(

• Like Like x 2
  2. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

As someone who has been waiting since the launch of this game, we as a community has learned to completely accept that fact the editor may not come. So you should join us in believing the editor won't come so you don't have to drive yourself insane waiting for it.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Probably filed in a cabinet somewhere under 'F' for Forget or under 'V' for Vaporware

4. richard.bohlman

richard.bohlman New Member

5. phantomgroup

phantomgroup New Member

YES! I think so.
    DTG never make us 'DISAPPOINTED'

6. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Not another editor thread. Here we go again!

• Like Like x 7
  7. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Like there isn't enough of them already another one pops up.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

No.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

PP:
    Alexa... Where is the Editor...?
    Alexa: There are three Eat It Here restaurants within ten miles of your current location, but they are all closed due to....... Co-Ro..... Nah-Vi-rus..... Pan-Demic.

PP: No - the Editor, for Train Sim World, when will we get to see the Editor...?
    Alexa: You have no future appointments with Eddie Torre, would you like me to request a mee-ting?

PP: No. I was asking about the promised Editor tool in Train Sim World.
    Alexa: You would not like me to arrange a meeting with Eddie Torre - is that correct?

PP: Alexa - I am asking the questions. Now tell me.... Is The Editor To Go Online This Year...?
    Alexa: There is currently no news about..... The Editor. Would you like to hear some music to help you cope with your disappointment?

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  10. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Yes! In fact, it's supposed to be out just a couple months out from 3 years ago!

Just make sure to keep an eye out for more news, because I'm *sure* we'll get that soon... right?

(Note: sarcasm is present in this post)

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

They'll just keep stringing us on for a couple more years, until they finally make an announcement, that it's cancelled. Probably.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Doomotron

The Track Path Editor for Gran Turismo 6 came two years after release. Even the most talented developers have to take their time.

Unfortunately the Dovetail, an editor doesn't involve making a tablet app, a server for track files and making entirely new code for the mode on the game, or making a function that converts where you drive in the real world to a track playable in the game.*

*I believe this was a feature in GT6.

13. Plastic Pal

Sort of - I think there was a Track Editor, where you design your tracks by hand (as you would normally expect), called Track Path Editor:

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/manual/#!/coursemaker/application01

And there was a GPS visualiser, which took GPS data from your mobile phone, as you drove around a real track in a real car, which you could upload to GT6, and then "visualise" in GT6, if that real track existed as one of the tracks-in game.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/manual/GPSvisualizer/about.html

14. hightower

hightower Guest

Ahhhhhh.

Remember when a lot of people ripped into Digital Draftsman when he made the sound argument that we’d never see a public editor for this game?

I reckon the odds are now 60/40 against it ever making an appearance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Plastic Pal

I think that the odds are more like 95/5.

Maybe they should first fix the editor in Train Simulator.....? The workshop tab... the 32/64 bit issue.... The Out Of Memory issue.... etc. Why would you want to bring all of those sorts of issues to TSW....?

Also - there's the general asset management issues - you know, maybe first make some attempt to not wipe out five DLCs when you switch off the lights in the bathroom.... etc....?

16. FileTrekker

FileTrekker Member

Honestly, when you look at the way Unreal Engine 4 works and how the licensing works, it's kinda unlikely you'll see an editor, at least not to the level that Train Simulator has.

17. Doomotron

I know I'm heading far off-topic now, but I remember that there was a system where you could hire a Toyota GT86 and drive around Fuji Speedway, and the data could be imported into GT6 and watched as a replay (and you may have been able to use the Data Logger on it as well).

Rather like TSW's editor will have, GT6's had very big cuts made to it before release.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Funny wording in the thread title. It's like asking are we expecting Santa Clause to wear an outfit other than red this year? We expect the same as what has been dealt to us previously... nothing. That doesn't mean DTG won't surprise us and release it but I don't think anyone on this forum will be expecting it to come out this year.

19. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Considering how Bus Simulator's editor works, and the previews shown have already shown what is basically unreal editor (+DTG plugin additions) this statement is rather false.

The only thing which would be an issue editor wise... is other third-party addons. So no speedtree or surface painting plugins for you.

20. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

People that still think that the editor is coming anytime soon are deluded and/or in denial, as harsh as that sounds.

DTG don’t even acknowledge it anymore when asked. The default answer has worn off and it simply gets ignored.

I honestly think that they wished they never announced it, like they did with multiplayer which never happened.

• Like Like x 1
  21. hightower

hightower Guest

Totally agree. Until we see actually see it, and have a release date, then I’ve lost faith that it’s ever coming.

They may yet prove us wrong (and I hope they do) but I no longer believe that they will.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
  22. Doomotron

I also would have preferred if they never announced it (or multiplayer for that matter) and just announced it out of the blue as a nice surprise.

23. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

I would be very interested in everyone's opinion on this, but I was thinking the lac of editor may be to do with their plans for future content. This is purely speculative but they may not want 3rd party add ons available as yet. They may want to make content that covers 'cashcows' first for their own marketplace portfolio before opening up to other content providers.
    I for one dont want this to be the case, as like most of you I want more scenarios and more variety.
    Cheers in advance for your thoughts.

24. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well if they really wanted to be greedy they could just sell the editor as a separate product for money. It would be a bad move, but there are games that used to do this.
    I really think they're just having a hard time making it happen, while it also not being top priority.

25. Scorpion71

TSW won't have much of a future, if at all, without an editor and 3rd party releases

• Like Like x 1
  26. Plastic Pal

I think that the next big event that will determine the future of TSW will be what they do with the release of the new consoles. Will current PS4 and XBox content transfer (for free) to the next generation....?

As for the editor in TSW - I can't see how they can possibly release a fit-for-purpose Editor and then support it..... if they are having difficulty making working content and supporting that.

27. Dinosbacsi

I wasn't the german shunter done by a third party developer, Rivet Games? I guess even if the real editor never gets released, they could work together with teams like they did with many TS routes (Rivet Games, Union Workshop, etc). Imagine what Union Workshop could do with TSW, after the incerdibly beautiful japanese routes they made for TS.

28. Scorpion71

True, but just throwing out DLC content can only go so far, people soon get bored of the couple of scenario's provided and limited activity on service mode, people will want to use them on other routes, drive them in different scenario's and want to add in extra services.

29. Dinosbacsi

Yeah that definitely should be a thing. Especially because right now it's really stupid that for example they release the german shunter and it can be only driven on one of the routes, when there are more german routes that it would be suitable for. For the price they ask for it, they could really bother to at least make scenarios and services for all routes it is suitable for.

But hopefully the editor arrives at some point (hopefully soon). Not only for new routes, but proper reskins and user made scenarios would be great, when all the routes and locos come with 3-5 scenarios at max.

30. Plastic Pal

I am sure that you will be given the opportunity to buy scenarios as an "add-on", as happens with TS1.

You might also be offered the opportunity to purchase liveries, and "enhancement packs" where they sell you working (um... I mean "improved"....) sounds (etc.) for your original DLC purchase.

You can't expect to get everything all at once, in one working package right from the start....! ;-O

31. Dinosbacsi

Is that sarcasm, or are you really implying that the fixes for bad content should be a separate purchase?

• Like Like x 1
  32. Plastic Pal

DTG recently released a brand new locomotive for TS1 (the Class 89), but without sounds for the traction motors. You had to buy the sounds from a third party.

It's just free-market capitalism - if people don't want a working locomotive, then you are not forced to buy the sounds to go with it.... ;-O

(NB: For absolute clarity.... I absolutely do not suggest that this is what should happen, I am just noting that there is precedent for it to happen)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Doomotron

Careful, let's not give Dovetail ideas.

• Like Like x 3
  34. Plastic Pal

I think that those ideas are already well advanced. I take my clues from this gem regarding the DB BR 204:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw-db-br-204-out-now.21902/#post-129129

I read this to mean that there might be a handful of free scenarios to be added to the DB BR 204 roster in an update, but that after that you will need to pay again to play - as happens with TS1 with Scenario Packs for sale.... except that with TS1 you can also get free scenarios from anyone, as everyone has access to The Editor....

By keeping The Editor generally unavailable for TSW..... you can create a fantastic market for paid for scenario packs, sound file enhancement packs, liveries, etc., available only from those that have access to the Editor.... like the Chatham Office and the Stirling Office.

35. Dinosbacsi

Sound packs can already be modded in pretty easily though.

36. Plastic Pal

How do you do that for the PS4 and XBox.....?

37. Dinosbacsi

Well, that's why I use PC. Of course if they did a bit better job, then this wouldn't be an issue to begin with.

38. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

You don't. PC only advantage at the moment. Same deal with the livery mods people have created.

39. Plastic Pal

I have TSW both on PC and TSW.....

Most of my TSW DLC is on PS4.... and I did think about starting to get future DLC (after the Class 47 is fixed) for the PC (I have just got the basic four routes on PC).... but now I am not so sure, as it looks like the PS5 is going to whip the heck out of PCs on graphical performance, if they utilise the ultra high bandwidths for streaming from SSD to GPU in the PS5 architecture.

But if an Editor was actually to appear on PC (and I can't see them making something robust enough for PS4/5 or XBox)... then I would probably go for PC as the platform of choice....

Really torn on this.... But, as I said... it doesn't become an issue until the Class 47 is fixed, as I won't buy any DLC for TSW until the Class 47 is fixed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  40. Doomotron

It's entirely possible to make one... Look at Dreams.

41. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor editor.... so sick and tired of this. Wow. Just saw a teaser on Twitter for who knows what is coming June 9th, yet people start the tired "is it the editor" responses. SMDH.

42. Plastic Pal

Yes of course it is possible. It is absolutely entirely possible. Many things are possible.... ;-)

However, not everything is probable.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Plastic Pal

If they launch an Editor (for free) on 9th June 2020, for TSW... including on PS4... then I will end my boycott of TSW content (which is currently running until the Class 47 gets fixed).... and I will immediately buy the numerous routes and various locos that I have let slide by until now.... and I would happily pay the full +200% price for them - as a personal donation to the cause.

But I won't be pre-warning my bank of a pressing need for the cash.... because I can't see this as likely.

Maybe they have worked out how to do sparks on electric trains, or something like that.....? To be introduced to all electric trains on 9th June....?

44. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

The editor will not run at PS4, at least it is very unlikely. The editor is more resource demanding than the actual game, so you really need a top level game computer to run it. Matt said this clearly during the demo we got one and a half year ago. But having an editor, even if it is for scenarios only would be awesome. Hopefully they also will announce we can use multiple time tables.

45. Plastic Pal

PS4 Pro is a top level gaming computer. PS5 will far exceeed the capabilities of most PCs, except for some extremely exotic builds.

No amount of power helps to drive the performance of any software that has been poorly written, poorly optimised, and ignores most of the physical and logical cores that have been built into CPUs for the last decade, and are available on PCs and consoles.

The "consoles are not powerful enough" argument is a total myth.

That said - you do have to be fairly cute with interface design on consoles, if you want to manipulate Editor designs with a DS4/XBox controller. But everything can be solved, and there is nothing preventing the provision of keyboard/mouse support for console, if absolutely necessary for editing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  46. Dinosbacsi

While it would be a nice small touch, I highly doubt they would hype it up with a pre-announcment just to say "look, we have sparks now!". Would be pretty lame, lol.
    My guess is it's an update, either new features or just bug fixes, because usually simple new DLCs don't get this kind of announcement. If they do this just to say something small then they're pretty stupid. So I'm hoping it's really some update type of deal, even if it's not huge.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Doomotron

The PS4 Pro is pretty underpowered and I wouldn't expect the Editor to run on it. I doubt it would run on an Xbox One X with how inexperienced Dovetail are with optimisation.

That said, the PS5 and Xbox Series X will easily run it. They are slightly ahead of most gaming PCs for now (in two years they won't be, however).

• Like Like x 1
  48. Plastic Pal

It depends what you mean by "Editor". If you mean an in-game editor for liveries (a basic art utility) and scenarios compilation (setting logical start/end points for services, etc.), then yes, of course PS4 Pro is powerful enough.

If you mean an Editor that can simultaneously:

- run Unreal Engine as a software creation tool/SDK;
    - run 3ds Max as an export tool;
    - run Photoshop and hold a dozen high res textures in RAM;
    - run an error-free emulation of TSW;
    - run a debugger that is scanning the emulation of TSW;
    - run Excel in the background with a 100,000 row spreadsheet loaded into it, and,
    - hold 5000 content map/level tiles in memory

... then of course - you are right. You are not going to get that from a current gen console. Even a PS4 Pro....! ;-)

But you also won't get that from 99.9% of the PCs used by consumers either.

49. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Our new community manager just said DTG aims to have an editor for consoles as well ... Amazing news but I really do hope this does not cause tremendous additional delays.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Wait, what? Someone from DTG said something new about the editor? When did this happen? What did he say exactly? Do you have a link to where he said it? It's not very often we hear anything at all.

That's the million dollar question. If it is something that runs on the consoles you can bet it won't be a full blown editor for creating new routes etc. Although, personally I'd be quite happy with just a scenario editor even if it was done purely in 2d map view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.